It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New X-37B Details leak out from the DOD

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 28 2015 @ 11:28 AM
link   
a reply to: buddah6

May 20th is the next X-37 launch.

posted on Apr, 28 2015 @ 11:34 AM
link   
@ KevinP: If it was 'a few years ago' it could have been the X51 trials. That wasn't a straight up shot.
@ Buddha: The VAFB website, and possibly the Space-X website will give you launch dates.

There's a wonderful camping site nearby that gets complete closed down when rockets go up. Not sure just how close you can get to the pads when there's a launch. They are visible for miles, though, and always a wonderful sight going up over Santa Barbara.

posted on Apr, 28 2015 @ 12:17 PM
link   
a reply to: Badgered1

the thrust looks very similar, however I saw this thing flying at 500ft heading at a 45degree angle until I couldn't see it anymore. It looks like the x51 piggybacks on a boeing craft before being released.

posted on Apr, 28 2015 @ 12:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: kevinp2300
a reply to: Zaphod58

Any idea of what I saw then? I've heard that an object launched at 45degrees would be more ideal but idk the physics to prove it so its just speculation.

Jet fighter with afterburners on?

www.aviationspectator.com...

posted on Apr, 28 2015 @ 01:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58

May 20th is the next X-37 launch.
Thanks
and thanks to Badgered1.

posted on Apr, 28 2015 @ 01:03 PM
link   

This is going to be the first launch from their new facility at Canaveral.

posted on Apr, 28 2015 @ 01:19 PM
link   
Not a huge amount of fixed wing traffic at VAFB - other than the occasional air show.
Possibly a low trajectory, low orbit launch of a satellite, or science mission? Not sure.
I know the winds can pull the trail to 45° pretty quick. If you saw a vehicle moving that way, I'll take your word for it.
Lots of odd stuff happens up there.

posted on Apr, 28 2015 @ 03:54 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

I might be able to manage a trip down there if my wife or son can go with me.

posted on Apr, 28 2015 @ 10:50 PM
link   
Hey guys, it's a 2-fer!

The Planetary Society's Lightsail, solar sail test vehicle will also be aboard the Atlas 5 that the X-37 B will be launched in.

The Planetary Society’s LightSail spacecraft will have to wait at least two more weeks before setting sail on its maiden voyage. United Launch Alliance, the provider of the Atlas V rocket that will carry LightSail into space, announced Friday that the launch date had slipped from May 6 to “no earlier than” May 20—meaning the date remains tentative.

In a statement issued to reporters, ULA said the delay was initiated by the U.S. Air Force, the owner of the rocket’s primary payload. The payload is dubbed AFSPC-5, an acronym for Air Force Space Command. The mission poster features the X-37B, the Air Force’s reusable space plane.

LightSail is one of several CubeSats hitching a ride to space during the flight. The CubeSats are part of a secondary payload called ULTRASat.

So we get two tests of future space propulsion methods for one launch!

edit on 28-4-2015 by JadeStar because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 28 2015 @ 10:51 PM
link   
a reply to: JadeStar

It was confirmed that the 20th is the date. It'll be interesting to see that in action.

posted on Apr, 28 2015 @ 10:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58

It was confirmed that the 20th is the date. It'll be interesting to see that in action.

Yes, that post was before the date was confirmed. The reason for the post was because it mentioned the Lightsail will be in the ATLAS 5 with the X-37 B

posted on Apr, 28 2015 @ 11:08 PM
link   

I figured, but wasn't sure that you had heard that the date had been confirmed. It was earlier today, so was just confirming it if you hadn't.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join