It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Proof of What Happens To Us After Death and the Subsequent denial of it.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 27 2015 @ 06:03 PM
link   
It is common to assert that one cannot possibly know what occurs after death, and therefor everyone is wrong—well, except for him of course. I must admit this sort of empirically irresponsible agnosticism nauseates me, especially when it is used to stifle further thinking and discussion about actual states of affairs. Luckily for us, however, this argument can be discarded as easily as it is promoted, not only because it is fallacious, but also because it is empirically wrong.

To assert that we cannot know what occurs to a person after death relies on an initial assumption, another case of petitio principii, a circular attempt at reasoning, namely, that the person who apparently does not nor cannot know what happens to himself after death isn't even a person at all, but something like a disembodied soul or intellect, and not anything that results in a corpse. In order to believe one cannot know what occurs after death, he must already assume himself something other than that which dies, for if he were to conclude according to the evidence that he is that which dies, he would already know. As imagined by him, this disembodied soul can only learn of its fate after death, once the body has left and the soul has a chance to look around while unfettered to confirm what indeed does happen, and which religion was right all along. The logic that leads one to the quite common, but ridiculous argument, that one must wait until after death to perform these observations, however, is not logic at all. In fact, it defies all logic.

As we know, because an argument is fallacious does not mean it is wrong, but by virtue of evidence and reason, it is.

Of course, no such entity or substance or little being living in our heads has ever been found, and given the finite area in which to look, absence of evidence is evidence of absence in this case. Not only that but every picture, doctors examination, or glance in the mirror, every x-ray, surgery, and MRI performed on a person, proves the exact opposite. Therefor, any claim that states we cannot know, or any appeal of ignorance in regards to what happens to a person after death, and the illogical and contradictory assumption that are required to make the invalid claim that the person is something other than the person we bury, is done so in the unwarranted and empirically irresponsible denial of the basic facts of reality.

We know exactly what occurs after death, simply by referring to the study of taphonomy, or by witnessing a loved one die, or anything die for that matter. Autolysis and putrefaction, for one, is quite immediate. We bury and cremate our dead, and we visit them from time to time. We do study these processes in great length and detail in cadaver farms, in hospitals, and we can supply this proof until it buries them.

Why hold out for a theory just in case it is true, when it isn't even possible?

Thank you for reading,

LesMis

+24 more 
posted on Apr, 27 2015 @ 06:20 PM
link   
I think they might be referring to the energy that makes us up. Energy cannot be destroyed, it just changes form. Whether other forms of energy are able to be conscious (as we know it) has not been proven nor disproven as far as I have seen.
Just playing devils advocate.

+6 more 
posted on Apr, 27 2015 @ 06:22 PM
link   
We can know what happens after death by observing a baby being born. That person didn't exist before they were born just as a person no longer exists after dying. Maybe the beginning of one is the end of the other?

That's my personal perspective at least. To say death is the end is like saying the end of winter won't eventually lead to another season. This is only one go round, we have eternity to figure it out.

posted on Apr, 27 2015 @ 06:26 PM
link   
a reply to: LesMisanthrope

Well , what about Consciousness ? The Indestructible " Soul " of a Life Force ? Matter cannot be Destroyed in our Universe , Only Change it's Form . If that Is the Case , then All Living Things are Limitless.......... No ?

link   
a reply to: superman2012

I think they might be referring to the energy that makes us up. Energy cannot be destroyed, it just changes form. Whether other forms of energy are able to be conscious (as we know it) has not been proven nor disproven as far as I have seen.
Just playing devils advocate.

And what is energy?

link   
You assume that you are the body... so when you die you will be no more ... "Food for worms" ... "Pushing up daisy's" so to speak

This should be an interesting thread

posted on Apr, 27 2015 @ 06:38 PM
link   

" And What Is Energy ? "

Quantum Foam...........

Tiny, foam-like distortions of space-time at the level of the Planck length that consist of Zero Point Energy coming from other Dimensions.

posted on Apr, 27 2015 @ 06:38 PM
link   
Tell me Les Mis or any others ... If the soul existed would it make any difference to how you lived your life

Or alternatively if the soul did not exist would it make any difference to how you live your life

posted on Apr, 27 2015 @ 06:39 PM
link   
Here is how to prove it...
1. Go to Baltimore tonight.
2. Dress as a Police Officer or a member of a white supremacist group.
3. Report your evidence tomorrow.

I will welcome your report from the afterlife, empirically or otherwise.

posted on Apr, 27 2015 @ 06:42 PM
link   
a reply to: artistpoet

You assume that you are the body... so when you die you will be no more ... "Food for worms" ... "Pushing up daisy's" so to speak

This should be an interesting thread

Except it's a proven fact.

posted on Apr, 27 2015 @ 06:44 PM
link   
a reply to: tvtexan

Here is how to prove it...
1. Go to Baltimore tonight.
2. Dress as a Police Officer or a member of a white supremacist group.
3. Report your evidence tomorrow.

I will welcome your report from the afterlife, empirically or otherwise.

Why would one want to put oneself in the midst of hatred and violence to prove the soul exists or not
You seem to have got your threads crossed
edit on 27-4-2015 by artistpoet because: Typo

edit on 27-4-2015 by artistpoet because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 27 2015 @ 06:46 PM
link   
I'm hoping to catch up on my sleep when I die. I have a lot of sleep to make up.

posted on Apr, 27 2015 @ 06:48 PM
link   

Yes it is a proven that the body breaks down into the way of the soil once dead

The proof that the soul exists has not been scientifically proven
Nor has science proven that the soul does not exist

posted on Apr, 27 2015 @ 07:00 PM
link   

Nor has science proven that the soul does not exist

If you look in your pocket and there is no money there, it is then proven there is no money there.

posted on Apr, 27 2015 @ 07:00 PM
link   

Yes, probably. The hope that my Mother's "soul" went on after her physical death is something that I hold onto every day.

I hold on to that as tightly as I can. If I were to find out today that there truly is NOTHING after physical death, I'm not sure if I could be as good a Mother, friend, companion, or just person in general as I try very hard to be.
Her (Mother's) physical death has not been a year and I am still struggling (why? I'm not sure) as I was with her for years and up to the last breath.
I speak to her daily, well, to the sky and myself (LOL)...hoping somewhere maybe she hears me. I know that it is logical to reason that she does not and if there is something after physical death, I would hope she is busy soaring through the universes and exploring the oceans and the sadness and pain of THIS world is never a "thought"...
So, long story longer...it would make a difference in how I live my life but, the difference is unknown...

+4 more 
posted on Apr, 27 2015 @ 07:02 PM
link   
Hi. After reading the op. I wish I hadn't and instead just responded to the title. I found the op to be lacking any real substance and using abstract language to create an idea that what you say is Truth.

I agree with the point that there is an overwhelming necessity to hold some religious belief on afterlife. This is on most part an insurance policy in case life does continue beyond this reality.

The old response of it energy can't be created or destroyed doesn't hold up I feel. During life all workings of the body and brain is fueled by energy intake. When we die this energy remains as potential and breaks down through decomposition and returns the energy to the soil which is either reintroduced into the food chain by means of a plants nutrients or remains potential in the soil.

Now my own beliefs go against my catholic upbringing. I see life after death as a fact. I have come to this through events in my life and after briefly holding different views have found my way back here. This isn't through fear but acceptance. I would happily experience nothing but black after death but I don't see this as the case.
I feel that we are merely using this body for the purpose of education. That our real feelings and characters come from outside and not within. It is only through the different organs and energy intake that we can express and feel emotional as we do.

Finally I see the lifespan of our human body as an interesting point. If the idea of evolution holds true and with humans being the dominant species on earth then why are we limited to this lifespan. Why haven't we evolved to a longer life if it is something that we have eternally craved and fought. The reason I feel is that in order to learn our souls must endure each phase of life and expand our conscieness in every culture and experience. Only then can our souls become truly enriched in a way that we can be perceived as godly.

Too many painkillers and no sleep equals nonsensical analyse of my sad life.

posted on Apr, 27 2015 @ 07:04 PM
link   

But how can you look in your pocket for the money if there is no light. Then you must feel.

posted on Apr, 27 2015 @ 07:06 PM
link   
once again, lesmisanthrope, i get the overwhelming sensation that you could use a hug. im not being sarcastic, that is a sincere impression. you act like something is wrong with the world, but i wonder if maybe you are upset with yourself for some reason. my two cents.

posted on Apr, 27 2015 @ 07:11 PM
link   
a reply to: TNMockingbird

I believe in my soul and that those who we love or have loved in this life are those with whom we share an affinity
I lost my Father this year but he is still with me ... I do not have to prove this to any

Regarding my question ... For myself it would make no difference
I would continue to love and cherish my friends and family to do any other would cause me sadness and regret

However it is my firm belief that the soul exists

edit on 27-4-2015 by artistpoet because: Typo

posted on Apr, 27 2015 @ 07:18 PM
link   
Have you reviewed any of the studies behind remote viewing or near death experiences? Even some drug studies do raise interesting conclusions in terms of the perceptions of our awareness.

To say that all we are is a lump of dead meat after we die is only true with our physical understanding of this world. As it is true that our physical perception with this world also dies when we do. From this point in space and time I can say that the consequences our my actions live on in this world, as with our ancestors to bring us to this point.
edit on 27-4-2015 by kwakakev because: grammer

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join