It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Lock your dog in your car while going in the store results in YOU getting locked into your car!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+2 more 
posted on Apr, 27 2015 @ 01:57 AM
link   
In NM and OH, instead of writing tickets, cops are requesting owners sit in their hot cars to see how THEY like being locked in with no air, water, etc...

An Ohio woman was shocked this month when an officer cited her for leaving her dog in a hot car but, instead of writing a ticket, the cop forced her to sit inside to see how it feels.

The Strongsville pet owner was inside a Walmart as the dog sat in the parking lot. The officer then had the woman sit inside with the windows up and ignition off.

And this isn't the first time an animal-loving officer has employed the unorthodox punishment.

In the recent Ohio incident, the woman was left 'looking uncomfortable' as she sat in her unventilated Nissan Sentra, but drove away with just a warning and her tail between her legs.

In Truth or Consequences, New Mexico last June, the pet owner in question wasn't as eager to put the incident behind her.

Shelly Nicholas filed a report against an officer who told her to sit in her car after someone called to report a dog was inside with no ventilation in 90 degree heat.

Nicholas reasoned that she'd only been away ten minutes.

'You can wait in the truck and close the door you know, since it's not that hot,' the officer is heard saying to Nicholas in body camera footage later obtained by KOB.

However, in her report, Nicholas characterizes the officers words as an 'order' and the footage does not show her actually sitting in the hot car as police wrote her a ticket.

I LOVE this idea! For me, THIS is great police work. Lead by example! We need more of these stories in the news, though I know why we don't see them, but it's good they appear. I don't know who thought of it first, NM of OH, but I'm thrilled to see it occurring. I only hope more cities follow suit.

1-3 times a month, I'll shop at the specialty pet stores that allow pets to come in, and of course bring my dog with me. She loves going to those stores. At the register they have dog treats, which she's a piggy for. LOL And even though Walmart is right next door, I will take her home, after she's gone to the bathroom on the grass, THEN and only then do I go to Walmart, if I need to go. I'd rather make the 5 minute drive to take her home, than have her die in my car. I care for her too much.

When I visit my daughter, about two hours away, I bring her with me because there is a pet park there, and again, anywhere we go, she stays at the hotel room so she doesn't have to stay in the car. How people can forget their kids or leave their pets in the car is so beyond me. I still haven't been able to comprehend that one.

For however long you made your pet, or kid sit in the hot car, is however long YOU should have to sit in the hot car. That's my opinion.

posted on Apr, 27 2015 @ 02:09 AM
link   
a reply to: Anyafaj

Nicholas reasoned that she'd only been away ten minutes.

Ten minutes , dead dog , dead child ,ten minutes is ten minutes to long .Especially here in Australia where 90 degrees is quite often seen as a cool change .

+1 more 
posted on Apr, 27 2015 @ 02:16 AM
link   

I saw a dog, clearly distressed, in a locked car in a shopping centre here in Perth just 2 months ago (hot summers here). After smashing the window and freeing the poor creature it drank about a litre of water. I waited for the owner, a 25-year old idiot who proceeded to lecture me on the damage. Suffice to say, for his own protection, as a large crowd was gathering, the police took him away and he was eventually charged with animal cruelty.

Children are not immune to the same thing either.......unfortunately.

NEVER hesitate to smash the window - ever.

That's a +1 for the cops too........I agree..........nothing like a taste of your own medicine to really hit home.

edit on 27-4-2015 by Sublimecraft because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 27 2015 @ 02:17 AM
link   

Wouldn't people turn around and sue claiming that they obtained burns from sitting in the car or say they sat in there so long that they got heat stroke?

Or at the very least cruel and unusual punishment.

I am not disagreeing at all and I think the owner should have to sit in there as long as they had their animal/child in the car. But It just feels like a bad idea in the long run.

But on the other hand of that dilemma I think More laws will arise about the concerns of animals.

+2 more 
posted on Apr, 27 2015 @ 02:31 AM
link   
What, he didn't break her back and shoot the dog? This cop needs retraining.

posted on Apr, 27 2015 @ 04:23 AM
link   
a reply to: Sublimecraft

Bravo! Absolutely the right thing to do - I become very angry whenever I see a dog locked in a car on a hot day with the owner having just 'popped out' for who knows how long.

posted on Apr, 27 2015 @ 05:45 AM
link   
Um isnt that pretty dangerous, you know exactly like it is for the dog. Sorry to be a voice of reason here, as fitting as it might sound as a lesson, it doesnt sound all that responsible.

Like having child abusers, abused by giant people for a lesson or whatever..... (extreme example).

posted on Apr, 27 2015 @ 05:49 AM
link   
a reply to: Sublimecraft

Many people would balk at smashing someone's window, but those who walk away without calling the police to do it for them are complicit. Certainly, the thoughtlessness of some people is worrying.

posted on Apr, 27 2015 @ 05:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: CallYourBluff
What, he didn't break her back and shoot the dog? This cop needs retraining.

Ha! That line is swiftly becoming the "false flag!" of the PC forum!

The wit and thought behind it is just amazing.

posted on Apr, 27 2015 @ 07:03 AM
link   
a reply to: Biigs

How is it not?
The cop seems to stay there, while the person is in the car, so actually the person is given more consideration than the dog.

And anyone that sues over having to do this, is an idiot, that should not have a pet, because obviously they have no idea what the lesson was they were supposed to learn.

posted on Apr, 27 2015 @ 07:28 AM
link   
No one should be leaving their dogs in hot cars with the windows rolled up. But! Before you smash the expensive window of someone's vehicle, please look at ALL of the windows to make sure one or two aren't rolled down. We had a young man smash in one of our truck windows two years ago when the dog was in the truck and we were getting an ice cream. Both windows on the other side of the truck were rolled down. Not only did he end up with a huge fine, he had to pay for our window, he was cut by the glass, and our dog almost bit him.

Again, no one should be leaving dogs in hot cars with the windows rolled up...but don't be this idiot and make sure you assess the situation before becoming enraged and smashing a window.

posted on Apr, 27 2015 @ 07:34 AM
link   
a reply to: chiefsmom
To be honest, MOST people shouldn't have a "pet". They have no real comprehension their friend(pet) is a living entity with feelings and needs that is dependant on their caretaker(hopefully friend) for their basic necessities of life and companionship. We domesticated these animals, and then a good portion of us abuse and neglect them. They are capable of love and friendship. They deserve to treated with respect.

posted on Apr, 27 2015 @ 07:48 AM
link   
This is something that kids shared last night and was very upset. Tried to discuss with them what it meant to live in a higher level country, with constitution and due process, where sharia does not exist, and retaliation by cops is not legal.

That our system is based on the concept of innocence until proven guilty, even with witnesses, that due process would involve police processing someone, for whatever level the offense occurs at, and courts dealing with the matter.

I explained that this would equate a police officer seeing a teen punch another kids nose in, and punch that kids nose in as punishment, when police are not hired to punish people.

That our entire legal system and elevation would be lost and we'd become undeveloped primitive country.

And what is lacking in our education system, is that they're not getting it fully yet.

posted on Apr, 27 2015 @ 08:07 AM
link   
No, this isn't a good tactic. Since when did police have the authority to issue punishments of their own creation? Isn't that the whole point in laws? Lawmakers decide the laws, police detain people suspected of breaking those laws, and the judicial system decides whether the suspect is guilty or not. Then punishment is determined. Judges sometimes issue punishments like this, but that's not for the police to decide.

This is literally why we have a growing police state now. Because people think it's acceptable for police to overstep the limits of their authority & actually become the judges, as well.

With that being said, I absolutely hate seeing kids & animals locked in cars. But the focus should be on educating people on the harm in doing it beforehand.

EDIT: Whoops, Unity 99 beat me to it

edit on 27-4-2015 by enlightenedservant because: i was too slow in my response

posted on Apr, 27 2015 @ 08:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: TheLotLizard

Wouldn't people turn around and sue claiming that they obtained burns from sitting in the car or say they sat in there so long that they got heat stroke?

Or at the very least cruel and unusual punishment.

I am not disagreeing at all and I think the owner should have to sit in there as long as they had their animal/child in the car. But It just feels like a bad idea in the long run.

But on the other hand of that dilemma I think More laws will arise about the concerns of animals.

The thing is, this is voluntary. A request, not an order. As it was, this one woman who made a complaint didn't SIT in her car! So why the complaint? Because some people need something to complain about. My opinion, this should be mandatory for at minimum 5-10 minutes. The owners will survive, will their pets or children do the same for a longer amount of time?

posted on Apr, 27 2015 @ 08:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: Biigs
Um isnt that pretty dangerous, you know exactly like it is for the dog. Sorry to be a voice of reason here, as fitting as it might sound as a lesson, it doesnt sound all that responsible.

Like having child abusers, abused by giant people for a lesson or whatever..... (extreme example).

Having been a child in a locked car with the windows up, I think a grown adult can survive 5-10 minutes, unlike their pet or child who has to sit longer. Not to mention this is totally a request and NOT an order.

posted on Apr, 27 2015 @ 08:28 AM
link   

I love my dog like I love my children, but..

I don't think we should encourage police to dole out "justice" or enact revenge.

We don't send police to domestic violence calls and say : beat the sh*t outta whoever started the fight
We don't say: if someone runs from you, kick their head in.

posted on Apr, 27 2015 @ 08:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: Sublimecraft

I saw a dog, clearly distressed, in a locked car in a shopping centre here in Perth just 2 months ago (hot summers here). After smashing the window and freeing the poor creature it drank about a litre of water. I waited for the owner, a 25-year old idiot who proceeded to lecture me on the damage. Suffice to say, for his own protection, as a large crowd was gathering, the police took him away and he was eventually charged with animal cruelty.

Children are not immune to the same thing either.......unfortunately.

NEVER hesitate to smash the window - ever.

That's a +1 for the cops too........I agree..........nothing like a taste of your own medicine to really hit home.

I think I love you, that was an awesome brave thing to do, I'd have been scared I'd go to jail if I did that.

posted on Apr, 27 2015 @ 08:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: enlightenedservant
No, this isn't a good tactic. Since when did police have the authority to issue punishments of their own creation? Isn't that the whole point in laws? Lawmakers decide the laws, police detain people suspected of breaking those laws, and the judicial system decides whether the suspect is guilty or not. Then punishment is determined. Judges sometimes issue punishments like this, but that's not for the police to decide.

This is literally why we have a growing police state now. Because people think it's acceptable for police to overstep the limits of their authority & actually become the judges, as well.

With that being said, I absolutely hate seeing kids & animals locked in cars. But the focus should be on educating people on the harm in doing it beforehand.

EDIT: Whoops, Unity 99 beat me to it

I wonder how many people actually read the article, or the OP, where it says this is voluntary. The police made this a request, not an order. The woman only had to sit I her car for 5-10 minutes. Not enough to kill her, unlike how long it might take to kill an animal or child. I'd say people are getting off lucky. They're not staying in their vehicle the amount of time their kids or animals are. This is NOT mandatory. They're getting off lucky in that they do NOT get a ticket. So where is the complaint again?

Edit: Not to mention, One participant didn't even SIT in her car, made a complaint to superiors, never got a ticket, so what was her problem again? She wasn't arrested, her window wasn't broken, her animal wasn't removed from her care. Where is the loss? BTW, Superiors sided with cop after viewing body cam and saw that it was a request and not an order and that the woman didn't even comply at that.
edit on 4/27/2015 by Anyafaj because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 27 2015 @ 08:44 AM
link   

I don't think cops should be judge and jury in ANY situation, but this is something for people to think about. I would much prefer they hand out a hefty ticket for endangering the life of the dog.

If It's 70 degrees or more, and I'm going to leave my car, I don't even consider taking my dog. On days when it's cool, I take him, but only leave him to go in the post office or 5-10 minutes in the grocery. I ALWAYS lock the car and leave all the windows down enough so that his head can't get out. (If someone wants to reach in the car in the vicinity of Jaia, they're welcome to take the chance) and I leave water.

I wish like hell people would exercise more brains.
edit on 4/27/2015 by Benevolent Heretic because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join