It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Lurkers?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 26 2015 @ 10:12 PM
link   
Hi - Long time lurker first time poster.... err I mean, long time listener first time caller....
Lurker probably isn't the best description for what most people in my position would do. Back in 2003 (I thinkk) I came across ATS when I was searching the internet for information. Wow, what an amazing site with all this information! So I lurked for a while because quite frankly I was intimidated by the 'ease' at which people posted and how fast they could get posts up, with links to sites, video, pictures, moving quotes around.... I just felt that "Wow i wish I could do that!" I mean I have some computer skills, but I wasn't at the speed of what the ATS community was AND, the facts they could post so quickly to justify their positions and statements. I just felt I wasn't up to the standard of the community and it was easier to 'lurk' (and I don't like the word) and read lots of impressive data and opinions. Then one day something happened to me, something I saw, and I knew I had to place it on ATS and ask what others thought. Wow, how cool, my first post, 10 years ago and how welcoming was the community. I guess as a 'lurker' (and I don't like the word) I never imgained how gracious and helpful the community is, especially for newbies. I enjoyed being somewhat active on the site, and then lost my way for a while. But, I just recently checked in again, my login worked so I'm happy to say, I may probably 'lurk' (and I don't like the word) more than post - but I know the vast majority of the members in this community will offer assistance, and patience and forgiveness, as long as everyone follows the sites rules and guidlines. Keep in mind, this is my story, but I think there a number of folks that just feel more confortable reading and enjoying the content without having to offer their 'opinions' to the conversation.......

posted on Apr, 26 2015 @ 10:34 PM
link   
a reply to: soulpowertothendegree

So Even if they were older members coming back and claiming to have been lurking, what is the problem with that?

Why not just let them join, say what they want at that time, and let it Ride!

Why even have a thread about it? I think you have "Lurker" Phobia and need some counseling...

Just my thoughts here on this. Later, Syx.

edit on 26-4-2015 by SyxPak because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 26 2015 @ 11:25 PM
link   
I'm a Lurker.
Deal with it.

posted on Apr, 27 2015 @ 12:58 AM
link   
a reply to: soulpowertothendegree

I'm lurking. Under your bed. BOO!
Really, what's with all the dust bunnies down here?

posted on Apr, 27 2015 @ 07:07 AM
link   
I have been lurking for so long I had to look at my profile (could barely remember how to do that!) just to see how long I've been a member for... Some of us come here mainly just to read and stay informed and I for one am extremely grateful for the information available on such a wide selection of topics. Once in a while something will move me to say something but generally I am more comfortable on the reading side rather than the writing side of ATS.

posted on Apr, 27 2015 @ 09:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: soulpowertothendegree
a reply to: AllSourceIntel

Well I think lurking is creepy so if you insist on lurking you know what I think

posted on Apr, 27 2015 @ 09:51 AM
link   
I'm a new member. I've been on and of for yrs. Just joined. Learned the word lurker here.

posted on Apr, 27 2015 @ 09:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: soulpowertothendegree
Not only is the word creepy and implies someone that is basically a stalker, I do not buy into all the newbies that show up and claim they are just now deciding to join the "party" for the first time. I think more times than not they are older members that either got axed or created such a bad reputation for themselves they were basically forced to start a new account and claim they are long time lurkers (creepy). Am I the only one that gets this feeling?

I've always wondered why so many new posters are "long time lurkers and just decided to join recently" or whatever. And the reason they just now decided to join is always some trivial nonsense going on in the news that everyone will forget about in a month or two.

Can't anyone be honest and say, "Hi. I'm joining. I just found ATS through a Google search and wanted to join up to learn more about conspiracies."? That's what happened when -I- joined.

Maybe it's just an effect of introduction threads. Long time lurkers would be more familiar with the rules and therefore more apt to post an introduction thread. Meanwhile, someone who just found ATS through Google and signed up would be more likely to just start posting right away.

PS: I really don't care if you are a long time lurker or not before joining. This phenomenon just got me curious is all.
edit on 27-4-2015 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 27 2015 @ 09:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t
Can't anyone be honest and say, "Hi. I'm joining. I just found ATS through a Google search and wanted to join up to learn more about conspiracies."? That's what happened when -I- joined.

Well maybe you shouldn't project so much. It's pretty much common internet etiquette to "lurk moar" on a board before actually joining. Just so you don't look like a total "noob" because you don't know the board lingo an in-jokes.

It's perfectly common and normal and anyone finding this suspicious should get their paranoia levels checks.

posted on Apr, 27 2015 @ 10:04 AM
link   
a reply to: JUhrman

Well yea, but lurking for years? I can maybe see lurking for a few weeks or maybe a few months to pick up on these things, but years seems exaggerated to me.

posted on Apr, 27 2015 @ 10:04 AM
link   

PS: I really don't care if you are a long time lurker or not before joining. This phenomenon just got me curious is all.

posted on Apr, 27 2015 @ 10:06 AM
link   

Fine meme me. I guess we weren't trying to have a real conversation then. My bad. I'll move on.

posted on Apr, 27 2015 @ 10:13 AM
link   

Well yea, but lurking for years? I can maybe see lurking for a few weeks or maybe a few months to pick up on these things, but years seems exaggerated to me.

You are obviously new to the internet...

It is a thing. It's even a common thing. Worse, it's actually encouraged on some boards which tend to be very closed and specific communities. You will most likely never be a part of the clique unless you can prove your knowledge of the history, the tone and the rules of the forum you want to be a part of.

Not saying everyone does, but the boards which are considered the "elite" of the cybercommunities do it very often. There is almost a hierarchy of posters.

You get something very similar on ATS with the emphasis on stars and flags. People here talk about them like they are something important "I gave you a star and a flag"! If you are new to ATS you are expected to know about this habit for example, as you are supposed to be impressed by the posters with very big numbers of stars and flags.

ATS as its own rules and cliques and "lurking moar" is simply a way of getting familiar with all this before jumping in. Hopefully people on ATS are cool so newbies are never mocked, but it can be the complete opposite somewhere else.

posted on Apr, 27 2015 @ 10:14 AM
link   

Fine meme me. I guess we weren't trying to have a real conversation then.

I was. A bit of humor never killed anyone

edit on 27-4-2015 by JUhrman because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 27 2015 @ 10:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: JUhrman
You are obviously new to the internet...

I admit that I don't go to too many forums, but being new to the internet is a bit of a stretch...

It is a thing. It's even a common thing. Worse, it's actually encouraged on some boards which tend to be very closed and specific communities. You will most likely never be a part of the clique unless you can prove your knowledge of the history, the tone and the rules of the forum you want to be a part of.

Not saying everyone does, but the boards which are considered the "elite" of the cybercommunities do it very often. There is almost a hierarchy of posters.

You get something very similar on ATS with the emphasis on stars and flags. People here talk about them like they are something important "I gave you a star and a flag"! If you are new to ATS you are expected to know about this habit for example, as you are supposed to be impressed by the posters with very big numbers of stars and flags.

ATS as its own rules and cliques and "lurking moar" is simply a way of getting familiar with all this before jumping in. Hopefully people on ATS are cool so newbies are never mocked, but it can be the complete opposite somewhere else.

I dunno... I just feel like sitting on a forum for a few years so you can learn the ropes is a little long. I picked up on most of the lingo, buzzwords, and rules within 2 months of joining (again I signed up almost immediately, but I did do a lot more reading than posting in the past). I even had a good idea of which posters were on which sides of the arguments, many of those opinions remain unchanged.

posted on Apr, 27 2015 @ 10:27 AM
link   

I dunno... I just feel like sitting on a forum for a few years so you can learn the ropes is a little long. I picked up on most of the lingo, buzzwords, and rules within 2 months of joining (again I signed up almost immediately, but I did do a lot more reading than posting in the past). I even had a good idea of which posters were on which sides of the arguments, many of those opinions remain unchanged.

Like I said, ATS is a cool board.

You can believe I'm exaggerating but I guarantee some people lurk on boards for more than months before posting. Either because they simply are interested in reading and not posting, either because it is strongly encouraged. I know a few comedy boards where you will be made fun of if you don't know about a specific thing that was posted 5-10 years ago. But of course they are comedy boards so everyone is waiting for the opportunity to make fun of you.

posted on Apr, 27 2015 @ 10:37 AM
link   

Oh I believe that there are some people who would lurk for years. After all, I don't put it past humanity for at least ONE person to enjoy any activity. I just think the idea of lurking for years shouldn't be so common. Like one or two people saying it sounds believable, but practically every time I see someone say they've been lurking before joining, it's always for years.

Though like I said, maybe the people who have been lurking longer are more apt to post an introduction thread, so that is why the results look skewed like that.

posted on Apr, 27 2015 @ 10:41 AM
link   

I just think the idea of lurking for years shouldn't be so common.

"Long time lurker" doesn't always automatically mean literally years, but still, if there is an internet rule#12 (or #33, depends on the sources) about it it's probably because it's more common than you think.

posted on Apr, 27 2015 @ 10:43 AM
link   

I know that "long time lurker" doesn't necessarily mean years. I'm talking about people who specifically say they've been lurking for years before joining.

posted on Apr, 27 2015 @ 10:46 AM
link   

I know that "long time lurker" doesn't necessarily mean years. I'm talking about people who specifically say they've been lurking for years before joining.

I hear you, and I'm telling you it's actually not uncommon.

For example I lurked on ATS for 2 years before posting (because I wasn't interested in posting) and I'm pretty sure we could find a few in the same case just asking around.

Especially on a conspiracy board. Makes sense when you think about it...

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join