It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Alien (1979)

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 25 2015 @ 11:38 AM
link   
In space, no one can hear you scream.
Alien was released in 1979. It's about a cargo ship for a mining company that's on its way home with its hold full of ore. The crew receives a distress signal. When they go to check it out, they find that nothing is as it seems. One of the crew members discovers strange eggs and is attacked. They leave the planet, only to realize that something is loose on the ship. What follows is a harrowing fight for survival.
I liked this movie a lot. The acting was great. I also liked H.R. Geiger's alien creature. That thing is spooky as hell. This movie is a must see for whoever likes sci-fi/horror.

More about the movie: Alien
Here is the movie. Enjoy!

posted on Apr, 25 2015 @ 11:42 AM
link   
The make up and design of the Xenomorphs was so ahead of its time.

Always preferred Predator...

But the creation of the "puppets" for Alien is hard to beat...

Maybe only Terminator comes close for that 70s-80s era.

posted on Apr, 25 2015 @ 12:01 PM
link   
I watched this just two days ago, realized i haddnt seen it in so long i couldn t remember every scene - while i didnt quite jump out of my seat as far it was still a gripping watch!

I did my Art exam on a HR giger, this film made me a fan from the very first time i saw it (and no doubt helped me pass my exam with flying colours!)

Thank you Ridley and Giger!

posted on Apr, 25 2015 @ 01:46 PM
link   
a reply to: Skid Mark

Yah, in space no one can hear anything. Except retro rockets, explosive bolts and other "special" space effects.

Particular cool ending when the onboard fusion reactor cores breach containment and the Nistromo explodes.

Anyone who liked Alien should love the sequel, Aliens.

We're on an express elevator to hell, going down!

They mostly come at night, mostly.

You know Berk, I don't know who's worse, them or us… you don't see them f___ing each other over for a percentage.

posted on Apr, 25 2015 @ 02:18 PM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

I'm looking for Aliens next. I hope it's on youtube.

posted on Apr, 25 2015 @ 02:20 PM
link   
a reply to: Skid Mark

I remember watching it as a kid on VHS video. There were us kids and a few parents.

My brother was picking his nose when that critter popped out of the guy's stomach. He jumped hard enough to give himself a nose bleed lol.

@ Biggs - my art teacher had the A3 Geiger book with preliminary sketches of the critter. He had some very cool books and that one was one of my favourites in high school. Apart from Georgia O' Keefe, Geiger's the only artist I can think of who incorporated genitalia in so much of his work. I could be wrong here...iirc Geiger said that the images came from his nightmares.

posted on Apr, 25 2015 @ 02:50 PM
link   
a reply to: Kandinsky

That scene gets me every time, even though I know it's coming.
I believe there is a book out with Geiger's collected work. How nice of him to share his nightmares lol.

posted on Apr, 25 2015 @ 02:56 PM
link   
I've been a bit obsessed with this movie for about 15 years. I was stoked when it was re-released in theaters about 12 years ago for Halloween. I'm not a horror movie girl at all, but this is so much more than a blood and guts horror flick!

I don't like the sequels as much, but they still have merit. If you haven't seen Prometheus by Ridley Scott, it's great! It's tangential to the Aliens world, and you will definitely see the links! So much so that when I saw my first preview for Prometheus I thought "that looks JUST like Alien".

posted on Apr, 25 2015 @ 03:00 PM
link   
a reply to: Kandinsky

Yous are not wrong about the sexual organs being portrayed. Geiger made it extremely provocative and actually said part of his goal was to made viewers as uncomfortable as possible by the imagery. The xenomorph is the stuff of nightmares, mine at least!

posted on Apr, 25 2015 @ 03:18 PM
link   
Alien Scared the crap out of me when I first saw it. The second one had me pretty scared too. And yeah, Promethius is a prequel.

posted on Apr, 25 2015 @ 03:50 PM
link   
I started to watch the Ewetoob vid, and then noticed all the yellow bars in the timeline. Knowing that each one represents a commercial, I hit "stop."

posted on Apr, 25 2015 @ 04:00 PM
link   
Alien was a great movie. One of the last "suspense" horrors before Hollywood got stupid and made hackemups(See Friday the 13th) and destroyed the genre.

posted on Apr, 25 2015 @ 04:44 PM
link   
a reply to: intrepid

Agreed. I still think this is one of the most frightening movies made as suspense is much more nerve-wracking than chopping heads off in new and creative ways.

edit on 25-4-2015 by AugustusMasonicus because: networkdude has no beer

posted on Apr, 25 2015 @ 04:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

Agreed. I still think this is one of the most frightening movies made as suspense is much more nerve-wracking than chopping heads off in new and creative ways.

Riiiight [spoiler] because a little metallic mini alien mouth punching a hole in someones forehead wasnt gratuitous horror?
Regardless of the suspense, that was shocking!

Theres somthing to be said for puppet/special effect gore over CGI.

CGI SHOULD in theroy be more gross because its more realistic but some how its not!

posted on Apr, 25 2015 @ 04:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: Biigs

Riiiight [spoiler] because a little metallic mini alien mouth punching a hole in someones forehead wasnt gratuitous horror?

I may be wrong but didn't that occur off camera?

CGI SHOULD in theroy be more gross because its more realistic but some how its not!

Practical effects are much better which is why I am excited for the new Star Wars which went old school on the effects.

posted on Apr, 25 2015 @ 04:57 PM
link   
did you know the character Ripley was origionaly going to be a male ?
[that was my intersting fact of the day]

posted on Apr, 25 2015 @ 04:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: Biigs

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

Yeah. Hadn't been done before and the movie was made on suspense and not gore. Well, a little gore.

No. This is where that takes us:

I'd rather have John Carpenter over Rob Zombie.

posted on Apr, 25 2015 @ 05:10 PM
link   
Although it's pretty much another genre of movie, Aliens (A.K.A. Alien 2) was also top of the notch.
IMO, it's the best.
After, Alien then Resurrection and last Alien 3.

You can't call yourself a movie expert without have seen at least the first and second.
edit on 25-4-2015 by theMediator because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 25 2015 @ 05:56 PM
link   
a reply to: chelsdh

I've heard it was good. I'll have to look it up. Thanks.

posted on Apr, 25 2015 @ 05:59 PM
link   
a reply to: Rikku

I didn't know that. Interesting. I wonder why they switched to female.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join