It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Native Actors Walk off Set of Adam Sandler Movie After Insults to Women, Elders

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+15 more 
posted on Apr, 24 2015 @ 05:19 PM
link   

Approximately a dozen Native actors and actresses, as well as the Native cultural advisor, left the set of Adam Sandler’s newest film production, The Ridiculous Six, on Wednesday. The actors, who were primarily from the Navajo nation, left the set after the satirical western’s script repeatedly insulted native women and elders and grossly misrepresented Apache culture

As a Native American, I find this to idiotic. They were in a movie by Adam Sandler and were not on the set of Dances with wolves.

It is going to idiotic and absurd. The concept itself was meant to be moronic. It was never meant to be historically accurate nor was it meant to be a serious take on Native life back then. I am pretty sure every stereotype was going to be used and mocked and not just the Native American ones.

Pick your battles people and this is not one of them. If you knew the idea was ridiculous and insulting..then why take the parts?

posted on Apr, 24 2015 @ 05:23 PM
link   
Agreed. And c'mon, Blazing Saddles anyone? They made fun of EVERYONE!

+7 more 
posted on Apr, 24 2015 @ 05:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: intrepid

Yeah but that was Mel Brooks this is Adam Sandler. One is a comic genius the other is overrated B movie actor.

+9 more 
posted on Apr, 24 2015 @ 05:35 PM
link   
It's a new Adam Sandler movie... it will be unwatchable regardless.

posted on Apr, 24 2015 @ 05:37 PM
link   
Good, maybe they won't finish making it.

Wishful thinking.

posted on Apr, 24 2015 @ 05:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: buster2010

Yeah but that was Mel Brooks this is Adam Sandler. One is a comic genius the other is overrated B movie actor.

Well that's not hypocritical at all.

It won't be long before we won't have any comedy at all because no one has a sense of humor. Or, more likely, we'll only be able to use humor against certain narrow groups at which point it becomes mean-spirited because no one else gets made fun of.

posted on Apr, 24 2015 @ 05:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: Answer
It's a new Adam Sandler movie... it will be unwatchable regardless.

Good point here.Im still recovering from"Dont Mess with the Zohan"personally.

posted on Apr, 24 2015 @ 05:47 PM
link   
a reply to: TDawg61

I liked that film! He's had some duffers, but also some good movies. I liked happy Gilmore.

posted on Apr, 24 2015 @ 05:47 PM
link   
I worked on "Ridiculous 6" in some earlier scenes. There were some NAs in the scenes I was in and they didn't seem to mind.
There are some Navajos that are always looking to push their agenda.

I wonder why the NAs didn't take offence at "A million ways to die in the West" much more offensive imo.
edit on 24-4-2015 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 24 2015 @ 05:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

It won't be long before we won't have any comedy at all because no one has a sense of humor. Or, more likely, we'll only be able to use humor against certain narrow groups at which point it becomes mean-spirited because no one else gets made fun of.

Drama queen much? So just because I don't think Sandler is funny that means the end of all comedy?

link   
A broken clock is right twice a day. Happy Gilmore and Billy Madison.

link   
I'm sure there's plenty of Native Americans who would jump at the chance to make some money acting in a movie.
Fire those PC nitwits and give someone on the Rez a chance to make some $.

posted on Apr, 24 2015 @ 05:51 PM
link   
a reply to: Onslaught2996

From what I understand the (Native American) actors that walked off the set of this movie were aware this movie was a comedy...but they did not know some of what was going to be said would be so cruel...when they found out...they quit.

posted on Apr, 24 2015 @ 05:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

Drama queen much? So just because I don't think Sandler is funny that means the end of all comedy?

No, it means everybody should get equal treatment no matter if you like them or not. You give Mel brooks a genius label be you gotta admit he made some stinkers to.

posted on Apr, 24 2015 @ 05:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: Asktheanimals
I'm sure there's plenty of Native Americans who would jump at the chance to make some money acting in a movie.
Fire those PC nitwits and give someone on the Rez a chance to make some $.

True, but background/extras are paid $9 an hour in Santa Fe county and less in other parts of the state.
SAG/AFTRA speaking roles start at $850 a day.

Extras in NM don't have union representation like in California where they are covered under SAG contracts.
edit on 24-4-2015 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 24 2015 @ 05:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: Hoosierdaddy71
You give Mel brooks a genius label be you gotta admit he made some stinkers to.

I was going to call BS but then I remembered he made this turd. Yup.

posted on Apr, 24 2015 @ 06:01 PM
link   

Good god man! I loved that movie!
I was thinking silent movie

posted on Apr, 24 2015 @ 06:03 PM
link   
a reply to: Onslaught2996

Seems pretty offensive to me...posted from ops link:

The examples of disrespect included Native women’s names such as Beaver’s Breath and No Bra, an actress portraying an Apache woman squatting and urinating while smoking a peace pipe, and feathers inappropriately positioned on a teepee.

posted on Apr, 24 2015 @ 06:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: Onslaught2996

Approximately a dozen Native actors and actresses, as well as the Native cultural advisor, left the set of Adam Sandler’s newest film production, The Ridiculous Six, on Wednesday. The actors, who were primarily from the Navajo nation, left the set after the satirical western’s script repeatedly insulted native women and elders and grossly misrepresented Apache culture

As a Native American, I find this to idiotic. They were in a movie by Adam Sandler and were not on the set of Dances with wolves.

It is going to idiotic and absurd. The concept itself was meant to be moronic. It was never meant to be historically accurate nor was it meant to be a serious take on Native life back then. I am pretty sure every stereotype was going to be used and mocked and not just the Native American ones.

Pick your battles people and this is not one of them. If you knew the idea was ridiculous and insulting..then why take the parts?

Apparently they were ticked the costumes represented Comanche culture, not Apache, the jokes were offensive, such as one women in the movie was referred to as "Beaver Breath", this offended them. I understand where they're coming from, but if you do not know who Sandler is by now, watch something of his, THEN sign up or don't based on his previous movies. You have the choice. Apparently when they tried talking to production about the costumes, they were told, "It's in the script." When they asked to talk to Sandler about their grievances, they were told they couldn't talk to him, so they walked off. Production claims the shoot went on with no problems, I guess we'll see when the movie comes out.

posted on Apr, 24 2015 @ 06:09 PM
link   

Good god man! I loved that movie!
I was thinking silent movie

And I was thinking"High Anxiety".

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join