It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Restarting a career.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 24 2015 @ 12:30 AM
link   
Hello all, I am reaching out to those who have rebooted their lives, started a new for the better.

About a year ago I dumped pretty much all my working life experience out the door to pursue welding. Prior to this I had been working in restaurants since I was 16, I worked in everything from fast food, dish washing, catering, to fine dining. My last job was managing a kitchen that held a kitchen staff of about 8 cooks and two chefs, quite the feat for a 26 year old.
But, I found it way to stressful, and began my journey as welder, and so far I am loving it. I am now 28, but the projected life I see myself with in this career is literally 6+ years down the road, and in the world of welding it's a constant learning experience, always something new and different.

I look back on my decision sometimes and think to myself. Did I do the right thing?
I need some input, and I would love to hear some success stories of those starting anew.

posted on Apr, 24 2015 @ 12:42 AM
link   
a reply to: strongfp

Since you love the work, it's clear sailing. There is always work for a good welder. You do have to get out and look for it But that won't be forever.

posted on Apr, 24 2015 @ 01:03 AM
link   

You already have your answer. You were unhappy in your job. Instead of continuing on that path, which most people do, and being miserable for the duration of your life you found something else to do which did not make you unhappy and pursued that.

Good for you.

By the time I was 23, I was working in a corporate job, finance, and I was on the way up big time. It was very stressful, I was unhappy, people left the job I was doing to go to mental wards due to nervous breakdown, and it was affecting my body physically. High blood pressure and severe carpal tunnel at 23.

I quit.

For about 5 years I ran a business for myself getting jobs as a DJ. Paid very well. Worked half the hours for the same amount I was making at my corporate job. Liked that I worked for myself, didn't like the work. Started running online business (selling) on the side. Liked that. Built that up so I could quit the DJ crap. Quit DJ.

I currently work 20ish hours a week selling online. Sometimes less, sometimes more. I make more money doing this than I could get someone to hire me for. I've written 20 books. Self published on Amazon. They sell. I make about as much with them as I did at the corporate job 10 years ago.

Summary: Am I glad I reinvented myself? Best decision of my life.

You sound like you are on the right path for you.

posted on Apr, 24 2015 @ 01:03 AM
link   
Apologies for the weird double post.
edit on 4/24/15 by Ameilia because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 24 2015 @ 01:20 AM
link   

Sounds like you're familiar with working your ass off. Sounds like you're not afraid to work with your hands.

There's always a job open in the Facility's Department of a hospital. Because of the criticality, they'll probably not look twice at un-referenced staff. Ask to volunteer. They'll make a spot for you if they like what they see.

People thinking ahead, as you are right now, get those kinds of jobs once they become known. The pay is better than you'll get as a journeyman welder, but not better than what you could get just as your back is going out on ya. That's usually a job you keep well past your prime, too. Everyone gets old ... not everyone knows all the nooks and crannies, maintenance schedules, blah-blah, blah-blah, blah-blah.

The contract manager at the facility where I work is making over $500K. He's paying blue collars over a hundred. This is overseas work, so YMMV. Definitely the route I would take if I were anywhere close to your age.

I've had four 'real' jobs in my life. Two of those wound up being careers and the other two paid money by the bucket. Go for the career. Money doesn't last (especially if you're married).

posted on Apr, 24 2015 @ 01:41 AM
link   
a reply to: Ameilia

I've always had the idea in the back of my mind of "if you enjoy your work, then it is not work at all" for sometime now. And when my work days go by as quickly as they do now, I feel like this might be my calling. But, as I said before welding is something that is always changing, new contracts, new jobs I might not enjoy.
Then again; But, is that what most work is like? Some jobs you hate, some you love?
My current work I love, building rail cars.

posted on Apr, 24 2015 @ 02:00 AM
link   
Funny thing...I'm doing almost the exact opposite.
I got burned out on machining and welding for money and now I'm leaning more towards bartending and
kitchen work. I make about the same money and I'm having more fun.
edit on 24-4-2015 by skunkape23 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 24 2015 @ 02:11 AM
link   

Funny Im currently doing the same thing substitute welding for construction. I have the same.doubts and worries as you. Personally i think you made the right choice.

posted on Apr, 24 2015 @ 03:14 AM
link   

Don't think about about how long it will take, or how old you'll be when you finally start flourishing in this career path. I was in sales from the moment I dropped out of university at 19 until a few years ago.

I hated sales in the end. So competitive. Long hours, working 6 days a week.

I got to the point where age was irrelevant as I was so unhappy, and I made the conscious decision to go back to Uni and learn something new. At 27 I started a 4 year degree, and I only graduated last year at the grand old age of 31

I'm a complete newb in my field, but landed a job with a world leading provider of managed security services for companies all over the globe. I don't want to mention the name, but you'd have to be living under a rock to not know them.

So, don't worry about how long something will take, just enjoy the ride. I mean, a job is secondary to actual life, so as long as you're happy doing what you're doing then you should consider your decision to be a massive success and be proud that you made the right decision.

I wish you the best of luck in your new trade - I always wish I'd taken up a hands-on trade so I'm totes jealous

posted on Apr, 24 2015 @ 04:00 AM
link   
I've changed careers 4 times. Each one was different from the last. I'm happy I made them choices. Life is like an adventure.

posted on Apr, 24 2015 @ 06:52 AM
link   
I'm on a new career venture path myself. From restaurants, to nursing, to making and selling my own handmade goods.

But I'm just getting off the ground. We'll see how it goes a few years down the road. I'm swamped with family requesting items to be made for their Christmas present... but that doesn't make a sale does it? So my mother and myself are going to go into business together, hit craft shows, open an online store - and we'll see how it goes.

I'm happy for you Strongfp, in finding a new career that you enjoy. That's what life is all about I think - the journey to finding the things that make you happy and learning from past mistakes and not repeating it.

CdT

posted on Apr, 24 2015 @ 07:14 AM
link   

What type of books do you write/sell, may I ask? How-to? Business topics? Fiction? Other? Just curious.

I just woke up and have to work at corporate job I am so burnt out from, and my first thought was, I'm stuck with no way out and I want to have a life. (I'm not young and I have big financial responsibilities, so it's not as easy to switch careers.) But I write as a key part of my profession/job, and I write outside of work for the creative outlet of it. Want to self publish, and want to have my own online business that would allow me some actual time to LIVE and take care of my health instead of working at a job, commuting, dealing with egoic madness, etc.

Like working from home, but would like the freedom (and some $$) to work from anywhere in the world.

Any wisdom you could impart would be grand.

As for the OP, you are young and you should follow your instincts. You did the right thing. But, don't get caught stuck with car loans, mortgage payments, etc. and then get stuck in a job/role/company that you are afraid to leave when it's no longer engaging.

posted on Apr, 24 2015 @ 03:57 PM
link   

The biggest truth I can tell you I have learned is if you love what you do, life is beautiful. The other truth i can tell you is that when you love what you do even on projects you don't really care for, it is still far easier than not loving what you do. Every contract you work on will bring it's own set of challenges and skill. Some of those you will like doing more than others but that is the nature of the business. And believe it or not those jobs you don't like doing as much won't be so bad. And even if you get stuck on one you hate, the bright side is you already know it isn't going to last forever.

I know this because I went through a huge career change myself. I spent near 20 years in one career, went back to school to pursue another I thought I would love. Only to find myself doing neither and ended up in a job perfectly suited for me and my natural abilities.

posted on Apr, 25 2015 @ 01:19 AM
link   
Congrats on trying something new. It can be really exciting trying new paths.

I've changed gears many times, but just from job to job. I have always been an artist. But currently I am a professional artist almost full time and a delivery guy a day or 2 a week. The art is my passion and was a good idea to pursue, as it has been much more profitable than the driving gig, now that I figured how to make the work start paying off.

My suggestion is to always follow your dreams and passions. Never allow your creativity to get too soiled by the need for money. The money works itself out when you find the right direction with your passion (or just do your passion as a hobby while you get a mindless job)

I have an artist friend who's done very well for himself doing large scale welding art. He takes 1/2" thick steel spheres and welds organic shapes out of them, and gets a great price when he sells them.

There are so many useful and creative applications for that trade I'm sure you will find a direction that is enjoyable and profitable in the long run.

posted on Apr, 25 2015 @ 01:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: strongfp

I've always had the idea in the back of my mind of "if you enjoy your work, then it is not work at all" for sometime now. And when my work days go by as quickly as they do now, I feel like this might be my calling. But, as I said before welding is something that is always changing, new contracts, new jobs I might not enjoy.
Then again; But, is that what most work is like? Some jobs you hate, some you love?
My current work I love, building rail cars.

One thing to do would be to glance around and see the people you are surrounded by. When I worked corporate, I saw who was there - corporate types. Did I want to be that? No. Not that there is anything wrong with a corporate person - it's just not the way I wanted to be, personally. I looked, I saw, I WAS THEM.

When I worked as a DJ, I saw party animals, drug users (I'm not talking bout smokin' a little somethin' I mean Hard Core), alcoholics, many criminals and other degenerates. Think of folks whose lives are spent in a bar. I looked, I saw, I WAS THEM.

You are what you do, you are who you are surrounded by. So what do you see? If you don't like what you see, change it. If you do, be it.

top topics

join