It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Giant Stingray (or Manta Ray) Caught in Peru

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 23 2015 @ 09:05 PM
link   
a reply to: Sublimecraft

Can't say you didn't warn us. I didn't want to look, but felt an obligation to do so. We need to be able to look at the worst of us as a species in order to change for the better.

posted on Apr, 23 2015 @ 09:27 PM
link   
a reply to: Snarl

That's the thing - the guys in the shot don't look like sport fisherman. They look like the guys out fishing for food, and the quote says their gear was handmade. The kind of guy who can afford to cut the line is not the kind of guy fishing on handmade gear typically. It actually read to me more like a guy who fishes to feed his family and maybe sell some of his catch caught this thing on handmade gear, so after spending all that time and effort bringing in that monster that he could have been catching smaller fish with a family to feed ... does he cut the line? That's a lot of meat ...

posted on Apr, 23 2015 @ 09:41 PM
link   
"It's glorious! I must destroy it!"

=\ good luck on your next ride, water dude.

posted on Apr, 23 2015 @ 09:46 PM
link   
Wow, that thing is huge. What a shame that it had to die.

I wonder how it tastes

posted on Apr, 23 2015 @ 09:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: rickymouse
Wow, that thing is huge. What a shame that it had to die.

I wonder how it tastes

I don't know about the mantas, but stingray meat is delicious.
It's not fishy at all. Very similar to scallop meat...sweet, crab-like flavor with a pleasant rubbery/crisp texture.
I helped a guy land one that was near 8 ft tip to tip.
Stingray is in no way an endangered species on the Gulf Coast.
edit on 23-4-2015 by skunkape23 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 23 2015 @ 10:04 PM
link   
You live in an entirely different world than these people. Their gear was handmade which means a. This wasn't sport fishing b. Some people fish to survive. C. In some countries it's offensive to throw such a beast away, he could feed the whole village. Watching river monsters almost every day you see that he really enjoys to catch and release, every so often he catches a beast and cannot release. This isn't his choosing, it is considered a great insult to catch food and not feed your people. While yes this is an amazing animal, it will not be taken for granted and turned into fancy purses and jackets for the rich.....hopefully lol
a reply to: proob4

posted on Apr, 23 2015 @ 10:04 PM
link   
a reply to: Elementalist

Well said, I totally agree. People have to eat. Animals are food, the same people crying about this dead ray will happily eat a chicken sandwich...

What about the poor little chickens?

posted on Apr, 23 2015 @ 10:28 PM
link   
Another sad example of man serving himself, taking freely from the earth and giving nothing in return.

Plenty of fish in the sea?
source: ocean.nationalgeographic.com...

You'd think, simply raising domestic chickens would be sufficient for mankind by now.

edit on 23-4-2015 by seasoul because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 23 2015 @ 10:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: lambs to lions

Well said, I totally agree. People have to eat. Animals are food, the same people crying about this dead ray will happily eat a chicken sandwich...

LOL Would you kill a chicken with an eight meter wingspan? What about Bigfoot (staying true to the ATS theme here.)?

posted on Apr, 23 2015 @ 10:41 PM
link   
If it was the only thing to feed my family you bet your ass I'm going to feed my family. Do you shed a tear when I shoot a moose in the head? Beautiful and majestic creatures but at the end of the day, my family has to eat and your damn right I'm going to pull the trigger and fill my freezer. Not everyone can survive off sunshine and raindrops dude.
a reply to: Snarl

posted on Apr, 23 2015 @ 10:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: Snarl

originally posted by: lambs to lions

LOL Would you kill a chicken with an eight meter wingspan? What about Bigfoot (staying true to the ATS theme here.)?
If I crossed paths with a chicken that had an 8 meter wingspan I would hit it with all the fire power I had.
I don't think I would shoot a sasquatch. Too rare and I would guess the meat is probably too tough to chew.

posted on Apr, 23 2015 @ 10:57 PM
link   
killing for food is one thing...
killing for..WHOA what a rush!!!
is entirely something different.

posted on Apr, 23 2015 @ 11:02 PM
link   
AWww they shouldn't have killed it....it's a beautiful creature and it's not like they're gonna eat it right? I heard they pee through the skin so the meat tastes like ammonia.

posted on Apr, 24 2015 @ 09:13 AM
link   
What a magnificent spectacle.

Check out its sister the Giant Freshwater Stingray.

posted on Apr, 24 2015 @ 08:03 PM
link   
Came back with last update :

Manta Ray captured in Tumbes was sold to S /. 0.50 the kilo
The young man who captured said they did not intend to catch, but was caught in the net of your boat

That's like USD $0.16 per kilo. They buried the head.

elcomercio.pe...

posted on Apr, 24 2015 @ 08:23 PM
link   
a reply to: frostie
You can catch rays that size in the bays on the Texas Gulf Coast.
You need at least one gaffer if you hook one.
Two is preferable.

posted on Apr, 25 2015 @ 12:34 AM
link   
(Hi, I'm new here)

I'm Peruvian and I just watched this on the news. If it makes you feel better, the fishermen said the manta ray get caught in the anchor of their boat (the bad news is that it wasn't the first time this happens). They found it when the boat started to shake.

I must say I still feel sad, it was such a magnificent animal.

Edit: Haha, I didn't notice there was more than one page, so I thought no one had pointed this out yet.
edit on 25-4-2015 by jkvar because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 25 2015 @ 12:47 AM
link   
a reply to: Trueman

Sad.......This is sad. Killing just for the sake of killing is wrong.......It stains your soul

posted on Apr, 25 2015 @ 01:07 AM
link   
a reply to: butcherguy

I had no idea that people ate them.

Back in the day, there used to be a great restaurant down Joo Chiat Road in Singapore that served the world's greatest barbecued stingray. My wife and I (I used to be married, back in the day) would go there when we wanted to treat ourselves.

Delicious, and one ray serves a lot of customers.

posted on Apr, 25 2015 @ 01:17 AM
link   
a reply to: Vasa Croe

I highly recommend swimming with creatures such as this one.

Some marine biologists regard this as highly irresponsible. We don't know enough about the behavioural habits — especially the social behaviour — of large marine creatures to be sure we aren't disrupting their social or mating rituals by literally plunging uninvited into the middle of them. Besides, you may carry diseases or parasites that could wipe out the entire school. And of course, there's the danger that parasites or diseases they carry may wipe you out.

I don't think there's much danger involved myself, but this is increasingly the attitude amongst the marine biology community; I predict that in a few years this practice will be illegal, at least in the territorial waters of the more advanced countries. People who once swam with whales themselves have now begun speaking out against the practice.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join