It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Army Is Testing Handheld Ray Guns

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 23 2015 @ 12:00 PM
link   
The Army Is Testing Handheld Ray Guns

I thought this was an interesting one.

This guy came up with a device that fits onto existing rifles that could be used to disable enemy electronics.

The pew pew pew factor has increased for the military.

If he gains more traction in testing this project might go black quick.

Soldiers “already carry rifles. Why not use something that every soldier already carries,” said James E. Burke, an electronics engineer with the U.S. Army’s Armament Research, Development and Engineering Center, or ARDEC. Burke spoke with Defense One at a National Defense Industry Association event in Baltimore on Tuesday.

See the slide from Burke’s presentation below.

Burke’s apparatus, which he’s named the “Burke Pulser,” consists of two wide antennas, a piezoelectric generator and a few other small bits and pieces. It has a blast shield to protect the user from electricity levels that the inventor describes as “hazardous.”

The Pulser takes the explosive energy released when the gun fires and converts it into pulses of electrical energy. This is done via the piezoelectric effect, which derives an electric charge when pressure is exerted on crystalline materials such as quartz, changing the balance of positive and negative ions.

edit on 23-4-2015 by grey580 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 23 2015 @ 12:14 PM
link   
I'm sorry I'm laughing, but in the picture you posted, that gun looks like it has some paper and packaging tape rigged to it.

Anyway, so it sounds like it's a passive device that uses the energy from the gun firing to operate? Interesting. So, the soldier would be firing mini EMP pulses along with bullets?

posted on Apr, 23 2015 @ 12:20 PM
link   
"Captin!?"

"Yes! .....phasers set to stun"

posted on Apr, 23 2015 @ 12:21 PM
link   
a reply to: MystikMushroom

I agree. He should of used ducktape to be taken more seriously. lol

Yeah that's what it looks like.

It's a good idea though. You can knock out remote control IED's with that. At least in theory.

posted on Apr, 23 2015 @ 12:43 PM
link   
It appears to add a lot of barrel length to the rifle.

Theyre going to have to make it more compact for practical use.

posted on Apr, 23 2015 @ 12:51 PM
link   
interesting reminds me of when they did something similar with a RPG you could mount the same way. Not sure if they still have them or if they did away with the idea. We used a few of them in Grenada.

posted on Apr, 23 2015 @ 01:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: Kapusta
"Captin!?"

"Yes! .....phasers set to stun"

No... its pulsers, mount... to gun!

posted on Apr, 23 2015 @ 01:26 PM
link   
So... he wants to fire a bullet into a piezo-driven device to convert the mechanical impulse into an electrical impulse?

How many shots will this work?

What happens to the bullet? Where does it come to an end? What happens to the possible shrappnel?

posted on Apr, 23 2015 @ 01:27 PM
link   
a reply to: grey580

I had to laugh at "pew pew pew factor". Good choice of words. Thanks for the laugh. As for the OP, I see how it could be useful.

posted on Apr, 23 2015 @ 01:35 PM
link   
I think we have a member here who made something like this from a ham radio a wheelbarrow and a musket but it kept taking out entire city blocks and the power companies got rather mad at him.

I know we have people here who can tell us how feasible this may be and I am not one of them lol. Its an interesting idea I think, but this has to have been thought of before now ya know?
edit on 23-4-2015 by bluemooone2 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 23 2015 @ 02:11 PM
link   
That is a pretty cool concept. Harness existing energy for additional positive effects. Brilliant!

posted on Apr, 23 2015 @ 02:20 PM
link   
Just a thought, but would this work to take out cell phones?
You know, like the ones recording the police?

posted on Apr, 23 2015 @ 02:28 PM
link   

interesting concept, but if you can see it and youre close enough to be able to use that thing......why not just shoot it? that works just as well as an EMP blast........

posted on Apr, 23 2015 @ 02:42 PM
link   
a reply to: ManBehindTheMask

True. but you disable it without it blowing up.

And you could probably disable a cell phone or other radio device as well.

posted on Apr, 23 2015 @ 02:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: ManFromEurope
So... he wants to fire a bullet into a piezo-driven device to convert the mechanical impulse into an electrical impulse?

How many shots will this work?

What happens to the bullet? Where does it come to an end? What happens to the possible shrappnel?

No, it uses blanks. Notice the diagram says "blank firing adapter."

posted on Apr, 23 2015 @ 03:16 PM
link   
a reply to: MystikMushroom

Well, they could always shoot blanks--it's the energy from the explosion, apparently, not the bullet itself leaving the neck of the case.

posted on Apr, 23 2015 @ 03:21 PM
link   

Looks like it doubles the length of the rifle, but it's applicable uses are good.
Going black soon so they can shrink it?

posted on Apr, 23 2015 @ 10:00 PM
link   
a reply to: EA006

en.wikipedia.org...

This is funny.

posted on Apr, 23 2015 @ 10:17 PM
link   
a reply to: Answer

i noticed that to. also the idea reminds me of miles gear.
i hated those beeping sob'n things.

edit on 23-4-2015 by hounddoghowlie because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 23 2015 @ 10:36 PM
link   
So if you're saying the army just came up with this bolt on contraption, one that looks like it belongs in the back of a comic book....

That can't we come to a conclusion that the government doesn't really have what we think they do.

It's 2015 and there now saying they can make a "Ray gun". If they don't have that what do they have in the terms of weaponry.

<<   2 >>

join