It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Racism in the Bible

page: 16
<< 13  14  15    17  18  19 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 27 2015 @ 02:42 PM
link   
God created us in his image. What a Jerk.

posted on Apr, 27 2015 @ 02:44 PM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

Can we stop the fallacy that god created this "Bible" and not a man.

posted on Apr, 27 2015 @ 02:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: Vaedur

Wow. What an informative post. Give it up Krazyshot. You're outgunned.

posted on Apr, 27 2015 @ 02:45 PM
link   

a reply to: Krazysh0t

Can we stop the fallacy that god created this "Bible" and not a man.

Not sure why that is directed at me. I'm like the last person on ATS that would think the Bible was written by god.

posted on Apr, 27 2015 @ 02:46 PM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t Wasn't aimed directly at you but the flow of conversation in the thread. I'm sorry!

edit on 27-4-2015 by Vaedur because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 27 2015 @ 02:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: Klassified

God created us in his image. People are generally terrible. You do the math....

posted on Apr, 27 2015 @ 03:04 PM
link   

Created people in HIS image.
And people are generally terrible.
The math says he has a really bad image.

Though I don't think that's what you were trying to say.

posted on Apr, 27 2015 @ 03:11 PM
link   

I don't think we are GENERALY terrible... I personally would put it at a soft 30% of the population is terrible... Sadly being good at buisness usually seems to equal terrible.

posted on Apr, 27 2015 @ 07:00 PM
link   
OP has managed to make something abundantly clear in this thread. That he is not to be taken seriously.

posted on Apr, 27 2015 @ 07:16 PM
link   
a reply to: randyvs

What makes you say that?

Just interested in deeper insight of your opinion.

posted on Apr, 28 2015 @ 04:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t
a reply to: uncommitted

I find this hard to believe since the Roman Empire was notoriously open to religious freedom. The thing is that Roman rule kind of required you to worship Caesar as a god. Christian doctrine rejects this since according to them, there is only one god and Caesar isn't it.

Also keep in mind that once Constantine established Christianity as the state religion, religious persecution spiked through the roof against all religions that WEREN'T Christian. It's always interesting how Christians dredge up these alleged claims of Roman persecution, but fail to talk about all the widespread persecution done by the Romans against non-Christians after Constantine.

Persecution of pagans in the late Roman Empire

You're doing it again - who dredged it up? Why do you use such phrases when they clearly aren't called for? Who said that post Constantine there wasn't widespread persecution, although seeing as Rome had been attacking, pillaging and raping in various countries for centuries at that time while empire building it's a moot point at what period they weren't persecuting one group of people or another.

posted on Apr, 28 2015 @ 06:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: randyvs
OP has managed to make something abundantly clear in this thread. That he is not to be taken seriously.

Only thing that should NOT be take seriously is book that you call holy... it is more then clear out of thread like this and follow discussions...

They should print it at least with warning...

posted on Apr, 28 2015 @ 12:16 PM
link   

It's not that people aren't saying it, it's that people ignore it in favor of talking about all this alleged persecution against Christians pre-Constantine. In fact, I've rarely had a conversation about Roman persecution of religions that wasn't solely about Christians being persecuted.

posted on Apr, 28 2015 @ 12:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: randyvs

Yea, I guess it is hard for someone like you to be critical of your bible. Though you manage to be critical of science rather easily. Not sure why you'd think the Bible would be beyond questioning. Heck, I'm not sure about anything you think since you've failed to address a single point in the thread or explain yourself. You make it seem like your opinion is obvious, but it isn't. The only thing obvious about your posts is that you don't have an argument to counter back with so you deflect the topic instead.

posted on Apr, 28 2015 @ 12:27 PM
link   

It's not that people aren't saying it, it's that people ignore it in favor of talking about all this alleged persecution against Christians pre-Constantine. In fact, I've rarely had a conversation about Roman persecution of religions that wasn't solely about Christians being persecuted.

So, IMHO, there was persecution of Christians, and of other faiths - whether that was because of faith, nationality or region is kind of hard to separate. It's unlikely that it was as widespread as Sunday School books America probably used in the 20th century, but that doesn't mean it didn't happen. Post Constantine I agree the tribalistic push (by Constantine initially) was against other faiths, but if that was through religious conviction (doubtful) or to take more power/wealth (likely) is probably a matter of opinion.

Seeing as Rome occupied a great big chunk of the western world for a few centuries, I think it's fair to say that an awful lot of people were persecuted and I doubt that faith of any kind would have been the only reason, possibly not even the deciding factor.

posted on Apr, 28 2015 @ 01:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: uncommitted
So, IMHO, there was persecution of Christians, and of other faiths - whether that was because of faith, nationality or region is kind of hard to separate. It's unlikely that it was as widespread as Sunday School books America probably used in the 20th century, but that doesn't mean it didn't happen. Post Constantine I agree the tribalistic push (by Constantine initially) was against other faiths, but if that was through religious conviction (doubtful) or to take more power/wealth (likely) is probably a matter of opinion.

Then we are in agreement there. I definitely admit that persecution against Christians happened, I just don't think it was as widespread as many Christians like to claim. As for Constantine's reasons for his persecution, I think it is a little of both.

Seeing as Rome occupied a great big chunk of the western world for a few centuries, I think it's fair to say that an awful lot of people were persecuted and I doubt that faith of any kind would have been the only reason, possibly not even the deciding factor.

Really Rome was pretty open to other cultures. It was one of the world's first melting pot of cultures. Every now and then, an emperor would go power drunk and start persecuting other religions, but for the most part you were free to do what you wanted as long as you obeyed Roman law.

posted on Apr, 28 2015 @ 01:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: uncommitted

Then we are in agreement there. I definitely admit that persecution against Christians happened, I just don't think it was as widespread as many Christians like to claim. As for Constantine's reasons for his persecution, I think it is a little of both.

Really Rome was pretty open to other cultures. It was one of the world's first melting pot of cultures. Every now and then, an emperor would go power drunk and start persecuting other religions, but for the most part you were free to do what you wanted as long as you obeyed Roman law.

Agreed, it was the conquering the nation/territory and killing anyone who opposed the Romans doing so that I was labelling as being persecuted for standing up to Rome. Whether that was based on faith, again possible but not that likely or because you didn't want some foreign country invading you and imposing rules on you. That's also persecution.

posted on May, 1 2015 @ 10:40 AM
link   
originally posted by: borntowatch

I love that comment
Same wrathful God
its very accurate, God is wrathful, God abhors sin and will judge a
sinner/nation that does not repent, Christian Jew pagan or muslim.
God has offered us a pardon, if we refuse it His wrath/judgement will fall.
If you read the OT you would see He pardoned many back then as well, just you dont acknowledge it, take Nineveh as an example.

Lol! Thank you. Couldn't have made the point better myself. Starred.

Obviously, my point was missed. So I'll rephrase it...

You couldn't have made mine, or the OP's point any better if you had intended to do so.
edit on 5/1/2015 by Klassified because: redeux

posted on May, 1 2015 @ 01:48 PM
link   
We don't need a book to strengthen racism. We need everyone to live by the golden rule. It's not that hard to understand that parable so it should be easy to implement. The rest is just gravy.

I can get behind this even if I don't believe in religion.

Versions of the Golden Rule in 21 world religions

posted on May, 1 2015 @ 02:35 PM
link   
a reply to: LOSTinAMERICA

Brilliant. Thanks for posting that....I've seen it, but am glad you presented it here.

Bravo.
This is from your posted source, and explains "exceptions" to the Golden Rule.

The Christian Bible: It contains a few passages which discuss religious tolerance. However, it contains many more sections that violate the Ethic of Reciprocity by promoting:
Religious intolerance.
Genocide of people of other religions,
The death penalty for a very broad range of behaviors that are not considered crimes today
The murder of individuals engaging in some same-sex behaviors.
The torture and rape of prisoners of war
The execution of sorcerers, and non-virgin brides,
Human slavery and,
An inferior status for women.

The Qura'n: Although it contains many passages which teach Muslims to treat non-Muslims with dignity, it also has content that instructs Muslims to kill non-Muslims under certain circumstances wherever they are found. Ali Sina is a freethinker and author of an essay "The Golden Rule and Islam. He concludes that the anti-Golden Rule passages outweigh the positive ones in the Qur'an.
edit on 5/1/2015 by BuzzyWigs because: add specific link to source material.

top topics

<< 13  14  15    17  18  19 >>

join