It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The recent surge in new members; some conjecture.

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 23 2015 @ 09:44 AM
link   
a reply to: tothetenthpower

too bad we didn't have an algorithm for trolls and shills, now that would be useful.

posted on Apr, 23 2015 @ 09:44 AM
link   

Yea, I was pretty sure that was the reason. Hopefully it will be a lot nicer this time around because of the mud pit, though I'm sure the partisan bickering will spill over into other forums.

posted on Apr, 23 2015 @ 09:46 AM
link   
a reply to: michaelbrux

im kinda new, am i one of those people too?

posted on Apr, 23 2015 @ 09:50 AM
link   
a reply to: s3ptopus

time will tell...i'm not new and have been around, on and off, for nearly a decade.

i remember when you could post anonymously here...i've read many thoughts and lies.

...i will say this however, if you attempt to convince me that Israel good, Iran bad as opposed to Israel and Iran always work together and have since the beginning of time...

...i will always conclude that you are an enemy Agent...working against America.

posted on Apr, 23 2015 @ 09:52 AM
link   
I would like to add some physical perspective to the digital observation made by the OP.

I am probably the most CT minded of my circle of family, friends, and coworkers. Over the last two weeks, many who usually don't want to strike up a conversation about my favorite subjects have come to me asking what I know about the whole "jade helm" thing. It is just strange. I think more people are being forced to really look at what is going on around them. The more they see, the more they want to know.

Just my observation.

posted on Apr, 23 2015 @ 09:56 AM
link   
a reply to: Snarl

I have never Tweeted orcFadebooked, I'm 53 and don't have the desire to worry if I am trending that day or not.
I joined ATS because John Lear mentioned it in a passing conversation. I am liking it so far.

posted on Apr, 23 2015 @ 10:01 AM
link   
a reply to: Jakal26

Hi,

I just joined the forum Today : ) The reason I have joined is so I can post, I like to interact! The Reason I visited the Forum today is because of an article that was originally posted on this Forum.

The Article I found via a link on another site and it is a discourse between the Hidden Hand and members of this Forum. I appreciated the questions asked by Forum members and found the Article itself very interesting indeed.

Kind Regards,

Lea.

posted on Apr, 23 2015 @ 10:03 AM
link   

originally posted by: s3ptopus
a reply to: michaelbrux

im kinda new, am i one of those people too?

Burn him!!

(jk welcome dude
)
edit on 23-4-2015 by boymonkey74 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 23 2015 @ 10:15 AM
link   
a reply to: frostie

frostie, you in dirty jerz? or is that another friend of mine that goes by the same name?

posted on Apr, 23 2015 @ 10:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: Jakal26
a reply to: Krazysh0t

Sweet baby Jesus on fire!
I SURE HOPE that the many that find their way here already understand the left/right paradigm.

....that ilk is the reason I stay away from those type of threads. It's all "democrats this" and "republicans that"....

JUST SHUT UP!! THEY ALL PLAY FOR THE SAME TEAM YOU IDIOTS!!!

*Rant off.....sorry about that. HAD TO vent a bit.... I'm good now.

Ain't that the truth!!!!

posted on Apr, 23 2015 @ 10:48 AM
link   
Interesting thread, Op!

I've noticed in this past year that more and more the news outlets seem to use this site in general or reference "conspiracy forums" in their news. When I see it and the topic is being discussed on ATS, I usually hop in on the thread and post a link to the article.

Part of me is like, those jerks! Write your own news! I can't tell you how many times I see breaking news on here before I see it in the MSM- most of the time!

And part of me wonders, is the whole world waking up to the hidden hands? The safety of our platform for discussion often produces a wealth of research and knowledgeable, well-educated insight. We can allow our minds to freely consider any and all possibilities without the retaliation of editors and "owners".

Sometimes you can tell the connection to conspiracy sites is intended to be "look what these crazy people think" and others it's "this interesting conspiracy is making the rounds".

I guess it doesn't have to be one way or the other, but I do have a feeling it drives some traffic here.

posted on Apr, 23 2015 @ 10:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t

Yea, I was pretty sure that was the reason. Hopefully it will be a lot nicer this time around because of the mud pit, though I'm sure the partisan bickering will spill over into other forums.

We don't always agree, but when we do it is terrifying!!

I expect the mods to be very active. In some of those threads 2 or 3 pages can pop up in the time it takes to read just 1 page....

Must get old fast.

posted on Apr, 23 2015 @ 11:01 AM
link   
I personally think if there is an influx in people joining atm, then it probably has something to do with Jade Helm. Which is what you'd just expect when conspiracy theories or citizen unrest issues are getting a lot of attention in the MSM. Since, after all, they are the kind of issues ATS are based around.

Even though ATS has a forum to discuss basically any subject you could possibly imagine, which is what makes it the best forum on the internet, imo.

Anyway, I know I created an account after being a longtime lurker when the Ferguson riots were going on, it wasn't even a conscious decision to join to debate the Ferguson riots. But subconsciously, that probably was my motivation. To discuss what I was watching on the news with (usually) intelligent people that welcome alternative points of view.

If I remember correctly, there was a thread created asking why there was a surge in new members back then too, people getting all paranoid about shills or whatever, which does kind of annoy me to be honest. I mean, who cares who the people are that are challenging your world philosophy?

imo, if you only want to be around people that think exactly like you, who will never challenge your general life philosophies, then maybe you want to join a church or political party. This is an alternative forum, with people from many walks of life, who god forbid may think differently to you.

Gotta admit though, I'm in no way immune to letting people who think differently to me set me off and cause me to fly to close the sun when it comes to T&C. Being maybe a little to aggressive, rather than using rational & intelligent debate against what I feel are feeble minded opinions.......................Anyway.

posted on Apr, 23 2015 @ 11:09 AM
link   
I could see a conspiracy if everyone was "I just discovered this great site". But they're not. They're lurkers like many of us were at one time. Personally, I don't know how someone cannot sign up because viewing ATS pages while not being logged in is literally intolerable. I lurked for a short while but decided to join just to avoid the overwhelming ads. And yes, it's almost election year so those lurkers want to get in on the great discussions.
edit on 23-4-2015 by StoutBroux because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 23 2015 @ 11:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: johnwick

originally posted by: Krazysh0t

We don't always agree, but when we do it is terrifying!!

I expect the mods to be very active. In some of those threads 2 or 3 pages can pop up in the time it takes to read just 1 page....

Must get old fast.

Sometimes I'll open several threads at once and then read them one by one. By the time I get to them all, an hour or two has passed. So when I reply, someone else may have previously replied the same or similar thoughts as mine, so I feel like an idiot but I see other people do it also. Also, if the topic is a hot one, I'll open it and read it first. Even though there might be only one page when I opened it, by the time I get my words in the reply box, there could be 10-20 new replies.

The mods definitely get a
because I swear they must be run ragged keeping up.
edit on 23-4-2015 by StoutBroux because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 23 2015 @ 11:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: CharlieSpeirs
The ATS Twitter profile is much more user friendly and popular now...

So I'd say the recent rise has been the Twitter account.

Also what Tenth said.

Charlie I have to say, your girls picture on your profile does MUCH more for your image

Joking aside, Im with you I think thats had a lot to do with it, again it is getting around election season as well...

But lets be honest theres a lot more going on in the world too, people are looking for different outlets and combine that with the twitter , im not surprised the drive

posted on Apr, 23 2015 @ 12:36 PM
link   

I find the whole "fb is for idiots so go to ATS" drivel to be a bit immature honestly. It's like rebelling against something because "it's the in thing"....I don't run with the pack, so my opinion on that is my own.

But rebelling against facebook is not the 'in' thing. Using facebook is the in thing.
That's why there are over a billion facebook accounts.

I agree with aerospace engineer John Bennes when he said, regarding Facebook's IPO, that the largest technology IPO in U.S. history was for a technology that wastes peoples time.

posted on Apr, 23 2015 @ 01:40 PM
link   
a reply to: ManBehindTheMask

Definitely takes the weight off of my ugly mug doesn't it.

I agree with you 100%...
Most likely a myriad of reasons for the growth.

I've told a few people about ATS...
Not sure whether they've signed up or chosen to remain anonymous though.

So word of mouth is probably adding to the backlog of members too.

It all adds up I suppose.

posted on Apr, 23 2015 @ 02:48 PM
link   
It may be an impression of yours, but how does it fit with the facts?

New member accounts: Past 24 hours: 35
New member accounts: Past 7 days: 218
New member accounts: Past 30 days: 985
New member accounts: Past Year: 11,734

There's not much of a trend here, statistically speaking. It's pretty evenly based. There may actually be more intro threads, but there aren't any more new members than usual.

posted on Apr, 23 2015 @ 06:16 PM
link   
It also might be my generation coming into the picture. I've known about ATS for like 2 maybe 3 years. I'm 23. I've noticed a lot of people in my age group becoming more aware of the world around them in recent times. Not all of them, ofc. But a pretty good number of young people seem to have a good idea of what's up. Perhaps this can explain the sudden influx of new people.

Idk though. The more the merrier, I suppose!

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join