It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'Full gay' Iceman: 'X-Men' character'ssexuality changed after decades

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 22 2015 @ 05:51 PM
link   
Iceman goes gay. I can't see it. It's not that they're creating a totally new character, I think that would be fine. But his failed relationships are the cause. So I can't socialize properly with one sex, guess I'll try the other. I just think it's weird.

By Douglas Ernst - The Washington Times - Wednesday, April 22, 2015

Marvel Comics has decided to make a famous “X-Men” character gay after decades of relationships with women as a straight man.

“All-New X-Men” No. 40 introduces Bobby Drake, aka Iceman, as a gay man.

The issue, released Wednesday, involves the character Jean Grey reading the mind of a younger version of Iceman. She tells him that despite his older self dating women, he is in fact “full gay,” tech news outlet The Verge reported Tuesday.

“There are thousands if not millions of stories of people who, for many different reasons, felt the need to hide their sexuality. The X-Men, with the conceit of time travel, give us a fascinating platform in which to examine such personal journeys. This is just the first little chapter of a much larger story that will be told,” writer Brian Michael Bendis told CNN.

www.washingtontimes.com...

posted on Apr, 22 2015 @ 06:08 PM
link   
He calls himself the Iceman, but only one man can melt this Ice man's heart.

Coming this summer Disney in association with Marvel bring to you UnFrozen; One mans journey from being an in the closet superhero to recently out the closet and single superhero who is and READY TO MINGLE, or so he thinks, that is until he FALLS IN LOVE.

Good stuff, I'm sure it'll set the fanbois on fiyah.

Oh wait, not this Iceman?
edit on 22-4-2015 by Lysergic because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 22 2015 @ 06:09 PM
link   
a reply to: StoutBroux

So, then the real question becomes.....what is his weapon?

"Jazz hands"

[wink]

posted on Apr, 22 2015 @ 06:16 PM
link   

Well... am I the only one who thought he was kind of gay already?

Seriously, though, I don't understand why people make a big deal out of this. This isn't them just pandering to the LGBT crowds; they are simply keeping up with the demographics. Out of the many X-Men/Women out there, it would be odd if there wasn't at least one that was gay. It's more like they are just correcting an oversight.

I hope there are some "flamer" one-liners in the upcoming issues since he's, you know, ice-like. The irony would be awesome. So many wordplay opportunities with them picking Iceman.

posted on Apr, 22 2015 @ 06:16 PM
link   

But his failed relationships are the cause. So I can't socialize properly with one sex, guess I'll try the other. I just think it's weird.

Where does it say this? I only saw this in the article...

There are thousands if not millions of stories of people who, for many different reasons, felt the need to hide their sexuality.

But anyways, why can't our superheroes have these struggles too? It might be "weird" as you say but if I were gay, perhaps I'd find encouragement in knowing that Ice-man went through the same challenges.

posted on Apr, 22 2015 @ 06:20 PM
link   

Well, personally, I think it is about time Marvel caught up with the graphic novel market in this regard. It is not, after all, as if this would be the first instance of a character, even a major character in a comic book universe being homosexual in some way or another.

It will be interesting to see how the character develops from this point though.

posted on Apr, 22 2015 @ 06:24 PM
link   
Not the real Iceman, but an Iceman from a parallel timeline.

posted on Apr, 22 2015 @ 06:24 PM
link   
a reply to: Cuervo
I just think they should have created a new gay character. It would be more believable. But yeah, we are taking comics here.

posted on Apr, 22 2015 @ 06:25 PM
link   
Just tapping into a growing market... that the real reason.
This story is already gaining a fair bit of publicity.
edit on 22/4/15 by Misterlondon because: (no reason given)

+2 more 
posted on Apr, 22 2015 @ 06:28 PM
link   
Well, let's see...I guess no on e has ever chased the opposite sex, had relationships, been perceived as being heterosexual and then come out. No, never happened ever. Guess comics should stick to reality! Oh wait....

posted on Apr, 22 2015 @ 06:30 PM
link   
a reply to: thesearchfortruth
It doesn't say 'failed' but after decades of relationships with women, it obviously didn't work out. It's just how I read it. My bad.

posted on Apr, 22 2015 @ 06:31 PM
link   
Bleh...weak sauce...

Have they forgotten how to develop characters.. Guess the good comic writers have all retired.

posted on Apr, 22 2015 @ 06:36 PM
link   
One bit advice. . If you own a fancy dress shop. Invest in this characters costume because sales are gonna go through the roof.. the gay community love a new Icon.

posted on Apr, 22 2015 @ 06:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: Irishhaf
Bleh...weak sauce...

Have they forgotten how to develop characters.. Guess the good comic writers have all retired.

Like Chris Claremont, maybe? Had some interesting things to say about Kitty Pryde. Must be a hack. Or William-Messner Loebs, the writer who revealed Flash villain Pied Piper was gay. That fool obviously can't write. And then there are those two talentless hacks Stan lee and Jack Kirby, who created an entire freakin' comic where the word "mutant" could be substituted for any "other" group you can think of.

Those the guys who can't write you mean, right?

posted on Apr, 22 2015 @ 06:49 PM
link   
So he really is an ex man.

posted on Apr, 22 2015 @ 06:53 PM
link   
a reply to: CallYourBluff

No, still a man. Just not straight. Off topic, but how did "straight" come to mean "hetero", anyhoo?

posted on Apr, 22 2015 @ 06:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: CallYourBluff
So he really is an ex man.

No, that will be Storm when it's revealed she is a transwoman.

Man, that would be awesome.

posted on Apr, 22 2015 @ 07:01 PM
link   
Nobody said "FLAME ON!" yet?

But the narrative is a bit odd... strike out with one sex and decide you like the other... funny, I sorta thought it was something one was born into... looks like they're suggesting it's a choice?

But then, it IS comics... and despite some serious art arising from the genre, it isn't known for it's depth... yeah, I know (I can hear it now) but c'mon... it's not that deep... not saying comics aren't great, they are... just not philosophically life changing... well, unless one hasn't ever read a non illustrated text, that is...

posted on Apr, 22 2015 @ 07:02 PM
link   
a reply to: Cuervo

Glad I'm not the only one whose gaydar was set off by Bobby. Hopefully accepting this will help him tear down those mental blocks preventing him from becoming the Omega level mutant he actually is.

posted on Apr, 22 2015 @ 07:06 PM
link   
I wish they would just create a new character than make an existing character gay. If you already have a favorite character it would be disconcerting if they were all of a sudden gay. Making a new character that gay folks can relate to and look up to from the beginning would make the most sense.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join