It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

There are still some good cops out there.

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 22 2015 @ 05:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: eisegesis
a reply to: Greathouse

Never said they should be allowed to shoot someone because they are a suspect.

Yes you did.

He was well within his rights to shoot at a double murder suspect (The murders happened the same day) that led police on a high-speed chase then started charging . Yeah I would have to say well within his rights.

And...

Btw The police officer would've been justified to shoot him running away because he was a dangerous felony suspect.

If you're saying he was well within his rights, then you are saying he was allowed due to those rights. Then you said...

BTW he allegedly shot his girlfriend in Ohio then traveled to Kentucky to allegedly shoot his friend but I guess that wouldn't have any bearing on your thought when the suspect allegedly failed to comply.

So is he guilty or a suspect? I didn't know cops could make that judgment outside a court of law.

Cops don't determine anything in court. Judges and juries determine things.

None of what you've said pertains to the parameters in which an officer can be justified in shooting a person.

None of it.

posted on Apr, 22 2015 @ 05:31 PM
link   
a reply to: Shamrock6

I think you have me backwards.

Judges and juries determine things.

That's exactly what I'm trying to point out. The OP is saying the officer would be justified if he decided to shoot a "suspect" that was "allegedly" involved in a shooting for those reasons alone.

I am trying to say the officer would NOT be justified in shooting the individual just because he was an alleged murder suspect. You've got me confused now.

posted on Apr, 22 2015 @ 05:32 PM
link   
There are good cops out there, I know a few.

I think the ratio is 70% good and 30% bad. With maybe 20% of those good cops willing to look the other way when a bad cop does something bad.

posted on Apr, 22 2015 @ 05:34 PM
link   
a reply to: eisegesis

At the point where the officer fell backwards, if the man had kept coming at him,
he would of been justified in shooting him.

Watching this video made me realize I would never make a good police officer, as I probably would of shot the guy after backing up more than 20 feet from my car, in fact, I really give the police officer credit for not shooting as he could of, and I think it would of been ruled self defense.

Glad it didn't work out like that.

posted on Apr, 22 2015 @ 05:55 PM
link   
a reply to: Darkblade71

I agree on that fact alone. There are others who would have shot him prior, simply because he was an alleged murder suspect. That type of thought process has no beginning or end. Guilty until proven innocent or even worse, dead.

Like you said, its justifiable when the cops life is in danger, which is judged in incremental moments. Not what happened prior to the confrontation. They are to detain and let the courts handle it regardless of the crime.

edit on 22-4-2015 by eisegesis because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 22 2015 @ 05:59 PM
link   
Well... they can't really get any satisfaction from killing someone who Wants to be killed... Where's the fun in that? It's when you're pleading for your life and doing everything possible to comply that the certain "predator mode" is triggered and they get a rush of endorphins for having sooo much power over another human life, and the voices inside begin to chant "kill kill kill! murder murder murder!" over and over again until the power rush reaches a crescendo and they just pull that trigger over... and over... and over...

oftentimes continuing to pull after the magazine is emptied... until the demonic power rush begins to fade and they go into "cover story" mode, corrupting evidence, planting drugs and guns, manipulating the suspects hands to apply fingerprints on certain peices of evidence, firing shots from the planted weapon so ballistics will prove they were indeed fired upon, but often just the sight of a gun is enough for them to kill you, or something they thought was a gun, like a cellphone...

I'm only joking of course... there may be some cops like this^, but to be perfectly honest, all of the interactions with police that I've had have been pleasant and ended in a positive way. Even when they were forced to pull guns on me. And I was quite the rambunctious youth, not that I was a criminal or anything, well, not really... but my point is, I've had many interactions with the police men and women who serve in the state of Washington. I'm always polite, and always aware of the crap they deal with on a daily basis, cause, believe it or not, there actually are a lot of scumbags out there, and people who like to provoke the police in every little way just because they can, just because its their right. So when they come across a person who is nice, cordial, respectful, etc, its like a breath of fresh air for them, and they will oftentimes actually go out of their way to assist you, if they legally can.

For example,I've gotten rides home from them, they've let me off on minor stuff (like cannibus related for ex.) because I was honest with them about that or about other things I should not have been doing but freely admitted to. It especially annoys them if you lie when you know they will find out anyway. I've learned a lot from watching cops. Althought they may act and behave completely different when they are "on camera", you can still learn a lot about how Not to act when interacting with law enforcement.

Yeah, sometimes they are a holes, sometimes they had a bad day, but, we have criminals in our society, so its just something we have to deal with. If you make their job easier, they will usually make your life easier. They know they are under the spotlight. It's just the few bad apples that make the rest look bad. And the reason I often Am critical of the law enforcement in general is because, when the bad apples act out, they get a slap on the wrist. But I do understand they don't want the other officers walking on eggshells, worried about breaking this or that regulation, because then they would not do their job properly. And I don't want that, either...

But they're taking the wrist slapping too far and setting the Opposite example for the rest of the officers that they can do whatever they want like cowboys. They need to find a better balance and increase the punishments a little more. I don't know its a tough situation, but what is happening right now isnt working.

So its a good thing most cops are nice and respectful, when you show them the same in return. I guess if you ever are afraid a cop will shoot you, just shout out "kill me! shoot me! i wanna die!" all the while with your hands up and complying.

edit on 4/22/2015 by 3n19m470 because: typos! i hate em... sometimes i wish I could just kill em... you know, just pull that trigger, over... and over... and over...

posted on Apr, 22 2015 @ 06:37 PM
link   

The officer would've been justified in shooting the subject based off the subjects actions.

Whether he was a murder suspect or had just helped an old lady across the street is immaterial.

posted on Apr, 22 2015 @ 07:14 PM
link   

They make a judgment call on the threat to their life and others why don't you understand that?

posted on Apr, 22 2015 @ 09:24 PM
link   
I just love how all these posters, who have never been in a life and death situation, love to tell everyone what that cop should have done or not. Unless you have been on the receiving end of a fight to the death or had bullets whizzing by your head or even shot then you have no idea how that officer should have done something much less what you would have done.

And yes, I have been there. I was an officer for close to 20 years until a person decided to drive around two police cars and run over me, on foot, at 50 + mph. Sucks to end a career like that.

posted on Apr, 22 2015 @ 09:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: mikelkhall
I just love how all these posters, who have never been in a life and death situation, love to tell everyone what that cop should have done or not. Unless you have been on the receiving end of a fight to the death or had bullets whizzing by your head or even shot then you have no idea how that officer should have done something much less what you would have done.

And yes, I have been there. I was an officer for close to 20 years until a person decided to drive around two police cars and run over me, on foot, at 50 + mph. Sucks to end a career like that.

I think people expect them to do what they are trained to do. I'm picturing you sitting in the witness chair, wearing a uniform, screaming "YOU CAN'T HANDLE TRUTH", a little spit flies out of your mouth because you are so excited to share that wisdom and everyone looks at you like total disappointment.
edit on 22-4-2015 by MALBOSIA because: (no reason given)

edit on 22-4-2015 by MALBOSIA because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 22 2015 @ 10:00 PM
link   
a reply to: MALBOSIA

I think people expect them to do what they are trained to do.

Had that officer done what he had been trained to do this discussion would be about another officer shooting an unarmed individual.
Sounds to me like you are a little butthurt.

posted on Apr, 22 2015 @ 10:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: Greathouse
a reply to: swanne

One thing that blew my mind was this officer was a marine that served in both Iraq and Afghanistan.

When the officer safety information was sent out they stated the individual may very well try suicide by cop.

posted on Apr, 22 2015 @ 10:29 PM
link   

Had that officer done what he had been trained to do this discussion would be about another officer shooting an unarmed individual.

A justified shooting of an individual who was trying suicide by cop.

posted on Apr, 22 2015 @ 10:33 PM
link   
a reply to: Xcathdra

I did not know that, they also warned him that the suspect may be armed and dangerous. They later found out that he left his handgun at the murder scene in Kentucky.
edit on 22-4-2015 by Greathouse because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 22 2015 @ 10:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: Xcathdra

A justified shooting of an individual who was trying suicide by cop.

Of course it would have been justified. Unfortunately several posters on ATS do not believe that Officers have the right to go home to their families at the end of their shift. Some believe that the Officers signed up to die before they take another's life.

posted on Apr, 22 2015 @ 10:42 PM
link   

Ohio officer praised for not shooting charging murder suspect

In Ohio, the New Richmond Police Department Web site said Kidder had been sworn in to join the village police force a year ago, after serving in Iraq as a Marine. One year later, he found himself facing his toughest police challenge so far. Kidder said dispatchers warned him Wilcox could try to force a "suicide by cop."

"He jumped out and he sprinted toward me. I had my firearm already drawn ... and I told him to put his hands up in the air and he was screaming ... 'Shoot me! Shoot me!' "

When you are advised of a potential suicide by cop the outcome is pretty much never like what we see here. Had the guy not kept his hands where the officer could see them he would have most likely got his suicide by cop moment. They are essentially stating they are going to do what it takes to force a deadly force response.

Props to the officer for his response and level headiness.
edit on 22-4-2015 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 23 2015 @ 12:18 AM
link   
I needed to see this one, so thank you OP.
I'm not a fan of cops in general and while their corruption is being exposed, it's being exposed a LOT and has been somewhat overwhelming.

It's a nice relief to see a good human in uniform out there.

posted on Apr, 23 2015 @ 12:33 AM
link   
Really nice to see it for a change
I'm sure it happens this way, more often than not.

posted on Apr, 23 2015 @ 12:17 PM
link   
The majority of the police force are good people doing great work, but that doesn't get page views, or generate content. People love to key in on the bad apple in the bin, while ignoring the fact that the entire bin is full of perfectly good apples.

It's like saying you ended up with food poisoning because one employee of a pizza restaurant used old sausage, so most every pizza employee across the country is vile and must be reigned in.

posted on Jun, 8 2015 @ 03:10 PM
link   

Reposting the video the other link petered out .

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join