It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bill Nye's carbon flight

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 22 2015 @ 01:58 PM
link   
You would think that the science guy would have heard of an invention called Skype. But I guess a flight on Air Force one is less damaging to the environment. How much carbon per hour is that jet producing?
Don't take this as a knock on earth day or pollution awareness, just a hit on people that only talk the talk.
At least Ed begley jr makes a real attempt to live the lifestyle he advocates.

www.washingtontimes.com...

dailycaller.com...

posted on Apr, 22 2015 @ 02:02 PM
link   
a reply to: Hoosierdaddy71

Most of the greenies are hypocritical of others.

That hybrid is worse on the environment that several regular cars.

The batteries alone are an environmental catastrophe in and of themselves.

posted on Apr, 22 2015 @ 02:06 PM
link   
This thread is a little ridiculous LOL

Are you saying that if I fight for the environment and green policies that If I drive my truck that I'm a hypocrit? LOL

I guess I'm not as rich as you guys or have as much time. I guess I could walk to work but that would take me a couple of hours both ways and especially lugging all my gear and laptop. But you guys can do that, eh?

My hats off to you OP, that you've never done one single thing that goes against your beliefs. You're probably the only person in history to have done that. You are an amazing person. Wow.

posted on Apr, 22 2015 @ 02:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: amazing

Are you saying that if I fight for the environment and green policies that If I drive my truck that I'm a hypocrit? LOL

I guess I'm not as rich as you guys or have as much time. I guess I could walk to work but that would take me a couple of hours both ways and especially lugging all my gear and laptop. But you guys can do that, eh?

My hats off to you OP, that you've never done one single thing that goes against your beliefs. You're probably the only person in history to have done that. You are an amazing person. Wow.

I'm not a greenie.

So I'm not hypocritical at all.

I proudly drive a big block Chevy in my giant suburban.

A hypocrite is all gore not turning his lights off on earth day.

Or bill bye taking a flight on a jumbo jet to tell others to reduce their carbon foot print.

When his single flight released more carbon than most regular folks all year.

posted on Apr, 22 2015 @ 02:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: johnwick

I'm not a greenie.

So I'm not hypocritical at all.

I proudly drive a big block Chevy in my giant suburban.

A hypocrite is all gore not turning his lights off on earth day.

Or bill bye taking a flight on a jumbo jet to tell others to reduce their carbon foot print.

When his single flight released more carbon than most regular folks all year.

That's a bit ridiculous though. How else are you supposed to get across the country? You can also push the green agenda, whatever that is, but usually it's less pollution, and still partake of the countries infrastructure.

My lights are off at my house, but come tonight, I will turn them on, I can't see in the dark, I also have a refrigerator full of food. Is that hypocritical to you?

I can't afford a Tesla or anything else like that so I have to drive my over 15 years old Toyota. Is that Hypocritical to you?

I had to take an airplane across country a few years back to visit my family. I guess I could have walked. Is that hypocritical to you?

Although I have solar panels on my house, my business does not and most of the energy I get is generated by "dirty" energy, coal, etc. But I have to have power or my business will go under. Is that hypocritical to you?

We have to live normal lives and within our financial means. That does not mean we are hypocritical. You need to take a good hard look at yourself and this country before you make statements that aren't true.

posted on Apr, 22 2015 @ 02:18 PM
link   
a reply to: johnwick

It only took you 4 minutes for you to chime in and act as a cheerleader against the environment conservation movement.

You seem to make a habit of posting a bunch of nonsense in the first couple pages of these environmental threads, then disappear especially when someone calls you out on your BS.

This forum used to have a theme "Deny Ignorance".

Using terms like "greenies" is proof that you are not only ignorant, but determined to ridicule those on the environment's side.
edit on 22-4-2015 by jrod because: f

posted on Apr, 22 2015 @ 02:19 PM
link   
a reply to: amazing

He's flying on one of the most carbon heavy planes in the country, so yes he's a hypocrite.

You sir don't have thousands of kids following your word, if you did I would call you a hypocrite.

posted on Apr, 22 2015 @ 02:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: Hoosierdaddy71

He's flying on one of the most carbon heavy planes in the country, so yes he's a hypocrite.

You sir don't have thousands of kids following your word, if you did I would call you a hypocrite.

So he's a hypocrite for one flight. Amazing. One flight invalidates everything he's ever done or said in the name of science. Amazing. I hope you aren't judged by those you know by standards that high.

posted on Apr, 22 2015 @ 02:21 PM
link   

Considering one flight on a 747 is insignificant to thousands and thousands of other flights that happen everyday.

You are truly grasping at straws here trying to demonize Bill Nye.

posted on Apr, 22 2015 @ 02:26 PM
link   

I agree with the general idea of your OP.

If you voice your concern to others about pollution, the least you can do is to stop contributing to pollution.

posted on Apr, 22 2015 @ 02:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: jrod
You are truly grasping at straws here trying to demonize Bill Nye.

Change comes from the action of single individuals. Combined, our actions shape the World.

posted on Apr, 22 2015 @ 02:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: swanne

I agree with the general idea of your OP.

If you voice your concern to others about pollution, the least you can do is to stop contributing to pollution.

But that limits his effectiveness. If he is not allowed to travel across country by plane or car or bus...would a train be okay in your opinion or should he be confined to his location or only allowed to bycicle or walk across country?

posted on Apr, 22 2015 @ 02:31 PM
link   

I expect celebrity spokesman to act like they believe in their causes. Is asking him to lead by example expecting to much?
Nobody has a problem jumping all over a politician that miss speaks against somebody's sensibilities. Why is this guy any different?

posted on Apr, 22 2015 @ 02:34 PM
link   

I expect celebrity spokesman to act like they believe in their causes. Is asking him to lead by example expecting to much?
Nobody has a problem jumping all over a politician that miss speaks against somebody's sensibilities. Why is this guy any different?

I think he does.

So how would you expect him to travel across the country. He's very effective as a speaker and teacher and debater. Whether you agree with him or not. Confining him to one location to only speak via skype is unreasable.

Would it be better, in your opinion of he drove across country, or took a bus or train. All three of which produce pollution. Although, by ration I'm not sure which one would have the least ammount of pollution. It's not reasonable to expect him to stay in one location and never travel.

posted on Apr, 22 2015 @ 02:35 PM
link   

But that limits his effectiveness. If he is not allowed to travel across country by plane or car or bus...would a train be okay in your opinion or should he be confined to his location or only allowed to bycicle or walk across country?

You make a good point.

If such dilemna arise, then I guess the most logical thing to do is to choose between lesser evils.

According to this pdf, public transit vehicles are the lesser of the evils:

www.townofstratford.ca...

Give priority to capital programs that encourage the use of less polluting methods of motorized transportation such as public transit (...) vehicles

Sure, as you point out, not using certain methods of transport reduces efficiency. But that's the whole point of stopping pollution: we all have to make sacrifices. And if we don't like these sacrifices, then we have to make pressure for more eco-friendly long-range vehicles.

posted on Apr, 22 2015 @ 02:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: swanne

You make a good point.

If such dilemna arise, then I guess the most logical thing to do is to choose between lesser evils.

According to this pdf, public transit vehicles are the lesser of the evils:

www.townofstratford.ca...

Give priority to capital programs that encourage the use of less polluting methods of motorized transportation such as public transit (...) vehicles

Sure, as you point out, not using certain methods of transport reduces efficiency. But that's the whole point of stopping pollution: we all have to make sacrifices. And if we don't like these sacrifices, then we have to make pressure for more eco-friendly long-range vehicles.

So I found this link about CO2 emmisions and travel

www.sightline.org...

Bus and train would be the most viable. But at .2 or .3 pounds of Co2 per mile is that enough to justify his travel in your mind? Remember that it also takes 2 to 3 days of travel by bus or train to cross the country depending the distance, whereas planes take a matter of hours. Imagine that if everyone who promoted green causes was handicapped by this travel difference and those opposed to them had no restrictions. It would be a huge advantage for big oil and energy companies. One that they don't need.

I think the net result is that it IS unreasonable to say that someone who promotes "green" policies shouldn't be allowed to travel by air. Just like it's unreasonable to assume that because I'm green, I am never allowed to use my air conditioner or turn on my lights or play a video game or any of that. You take it way past the point of ridiculousness.

I'm against child slave labor, but I dont' have the time to research every single piece of clothing I buy or wear. That's unreasonable.

I appreciate technological advances, but I don't have the means to research every component of my phones or computers to see if that we mined by slave labor.

We have limitations. We're only human.

posted on Apr, 22 2015 @ 02:51 PM
link   

I think he does.

So how would you expect him to travel across the country. He's very effective as a speaker and teacher and debater. Whether you agree with him or not. Confining him to one location to only speak via skype is unreasable.

Would it be better, in your opinion of he drove across country, or took a bus or train. All three of which produce pollution. Although, by ration I'm not sure which one would have the least ammount of pollution. It's not reasonable to expect him to stay in one location and never travel.

Nope. I have no issue with him flying on a commercial flight.he works and his work includes travel. My problem is Air Force one. That is nothing but an earth day pr stunt that is a total waste. He would have made a much bigger statement about saving the environment by hyping up a Skype call to the president. Leading by example.

posted on Apr, 22 2015 @ 02:58 PM
link   
Surprisingly, Airplanes More Energy Efficient Than Cars:

In fact, unless you drive a car that gets 33.8 gallons per mile (or carry more than one passenger), new airplanes coming off the assembly line are more fuel-efficient, according to researchers at University of Michigan's Transportation Research Institute.

But that's new stuff. What about Air Force One:

According to the mileage calculator on webflyer.com, those trips total 10,666 air miles. Published reports say that Boeing 747s similar to Air Force One burn about 5 gallons per mile. With companies like Jet Blue now paying $3.37 a gallon, that’s a total fuel cost of $179,621.

Sounds pretty bad - but wait a second, that's efficiency for the whole plane. What would it be per passenger:

Air Force One Crew 26 (passenger/crew capacity: 102)

So, supposing 0.2 mpg and a capacity of 102 people. If 102 people drove in 26 cars (about 4 people per car), and the mileage was the U.S. average MPG of 23.8 mpg, it would require a total of 448 gallons of fuel for each car to go the same 10,666 miles. So, 11,648 gallons of fuel for all 26. Way better than the estimated 53,330 gallons of fuel for Air Force One - but remember, that's 4 people per car.

In reality, 1.67 people per vehicle was the U.S. average a few years back. So, now we have 61 cars, for 27,328 gallons of fuel - just twice as efficient and way slower than Air Force One.

It's an old plane (built prior to 1990) with not very efficient engines, it's true. They're planning to deliver a brand new 747-8 in 2018.

posted on Apr, 22 2015 @ 02:59 PM
link   

Are you upset because of the enviromental aspect, or upset that he is meeting with the President on Air Force One?

With or without Bill Nye on-board, there still would be a Air Force One flights. Bill's presence on the plane does not make the environmental situation any worse, if fact meeting with the president and other leaders can help with solutions to the environmental problem that we created and continue to add to.

That is how he can make a difference, not taking the flight means he can not make a difference and meet with real world leaders.

edit on 22-4-2015 by jrod because: a

posted on Apr, 22 2015 @ 03:01 PM
link   

Once again you make good points for me to consider.

I must go now. Thank you for the must thought-provoking (and civil) replies! A star for you mate!

top topics

<<   2 >>

join