It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why Fossils May Appear To Support Evolution.

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 22 2015 @ 11:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: Another_Nut
a reply to: JUhrman

i own no bible and have no religion

i am just honest

" While differing significantly in details, both Whittington and Gould proposed that all modern animal phyla had appeared almost simultaneously in a rather short span of geological period. "

en.wikipedia.org...

you sir have no clue

Do you even know the definition of "phyla"??

Let me post this again since you apparently skipped over it:

The forms that appeared in the Cambrian Explosion were more primitive than these later groups, and many of them were soft-bodied organisms. However, they did include the basic features that define the major branches of the tree of life to which later life forms belong.

Your earlier statement that "there have been no major changes since the Cambrian Explosion" is complete and utter hogwash.

To elaborate further:

For example, vertebrates are part of the Chordata group. The chordates are characterized by a nerve cord, gill pouches and a support rod called the notochord. In the Cambrian fauna, we first see fossils of soft-bodied creatures with these characteristics. However, the living groups of vertebrates appeared much later. It is also important to realize that many of the Cambrian organisms, although likely near the base of major branches of the tree of life, did not possess all of the defining characteristics of modern animal body plans. These defining characteristics appeared progressively over a much longer period of time.

It's not as though a fully-formed chimpanzee sprang forth from the Cambrian Explosion...
edit on 4/22/2015 by Answer because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 22 2015 @ 11:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: JUhrman
a reply to: FearYourMind

The extraordinary thing that happened is we learned to speak articulate languages allowing the transmission of idea over generation.

Without language and education a feral human child is not smarter than a monkey.

Hence why the bible says our story begins with the word.

Monkey see monkey do or copycat behavior does the same thing. Animals have languages, even when they scream out to warn their pack of danger, the little ones learn the behavior through hearing and seeing so can pass it on indefinitely.

Writing is what separates us, whether pictorial or text. We can write down the same experiences and others imaginations can transform the meaning of writings into imaginary experiences as if they were there learning from the experience first hand.

posted on Apr, 22 2015 @ 11:56 AM
link   
a reply to: Another_Nut

You are not being honest you are being silly.

You attack current scientific positions like they are dogmatic when science is not dogmatic.

If your claims are plausible then they would survive examination by the other posters. It seems they don't.

Science is about discussing to let the truth emerge. It seems all you want here is to prove you are right and others are wrong. That is the road to delusion

posted on Apr, 22 2015 @ 11:57 AM
link   
a reply to: Answer

"In 1948, Preston Cloud argued that a period of "eruptive" evolution occurred in the Early Cambrian,[22] but as recently as the 1970s, no sign was seen of how the 'relatively' modern-looking organisms of the Middle and Late Cambrian arose."

again you have no clue

u refuse to see the argument being made because you dont understand the concepts talked about

now

what im saying it that we are missing something . something big. a huge piece to this puzzle

huge

there is no reason for most, if not all, phylum to be created at one time with nothing since

none

there is something missing
edit on am420153011America/ChicagoWed, 22 Apr 2015 11:58:09 -0500_4u by Another_Nut because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 22 2015 @ 11:58 AM
link   
a reply to: TinfoilTP

articulate language allows the communication of abstract concepts, animals can't do that with their current means but maybe I'm wrong

posted on Apr, 22 2015 @ 12:00 PM
link   

New phyla can still appear in the future. A point I posted but that you conveniently ignored

posted on Apr, 22 2015 @ 12:00 PM
link   
The Cambrian Explosion saw something like this:

Not this:

posted on Apr, 22 2015 @ 12:01 PM
link   

appeal to the masses

thats what happens when you cant defend the facts

posted on Apr, 22 2015 @ 12:01 PM
link   

No, we don't. That's just your ego deceiving you.

“Everyone who is seriously involved in the pursuit of science becomes convinced that a spirit is manifest in the laws of the universe – a spirit vastly superior to that of man, and one in the face of which we with modest powers must feel humble.” – Albert Einstein

"There are the fanatical atheists whose intolerance is the same as that of the religious fanatics, and it springs from the same source ." - Albert Einstein

“The odds against a universe like ours emerging out of something like the Big Bang are enormous. I think there are clearly religious implications whenever you start to discuss the origins of the universe. The actual point of creation lies outside the scope of the presently known laws of physics. The laws of science determine the evolution of the universe and that God may or may not have created those laws, but he cannot intervene, or else they wouldn’t be laws.” - Stephen Hawking

posted on Apr, 22 2015 @ 12:03 PM
link   

I don't need to defend facts, they defend themselves thank you.

posted on Apr, 22 2015 @ 12:03 PM
link   

u refuse to see the argument being made because you dont understand the concepts talked about

You post this without a hint of irony... amazing.

what im saying it that we are missing something . something big. a huge piece to this puzzle

No, we're really not.

Your own misunderstandings or intellectual dishonesty are keeping this argument going, not any real "missing piece of the puzzle."

posted on Apr, 22 2015 @ 12:04 PM
link   

god could appear in the future

so could aliens

the fact is we have 500+ million years and nothing new

why?

there have been many mass extinctions which should have givin rise to something new

but it hasnt

why?

posted on Apr, 22 2015 @ 12:06 PM
link   
a reply to: FearYourMind

It's ironic you would post that since only religious fanatics deny evolution and these people bash religious fanatics.

link   

originally posted by: FearYourMind

No, we don't. That's just your ego deceiving you.

“Everyone who is seriously involved in the pursuit of science becomes convinced that a spirit is manifest in the laws of the universe – a spirit vastly superior to that of man, and one in the face of which we with modest powers must feel humble.” – Albert Einstein

"There are the fanatical atheists whose intolerance is the same as that of the religious fanatics, and it springs from the same source ." - Albert Einstein

“The odds against a universe like ours emerging out of something like the Big Bang are enormous. I think there are clearly religious implications whenever you start to discuss the origins of the universe. The actual point of creation lies outside the scope of the presently known laws of physics. The laws of science determine the evolution of the universe and that God may or may not have created those laws, but he cannot intervene, or else they wouldn’t be laws.” - Stephen Hawking

None of what you just quoted has anything to do with what I posted.

We can study and understand the physical evidence in front of us without having to first understand the origins of the universe. Both are being studied but they are independent of one another.

You can believe that god created the universe or that it was farted into existence by a giant purple unicorn but that does not change the reality of the physical evidence allowing for the study of evolution. Why is that so hard to grasp?

link   

Do tell us

link   

originally posted by: JUhrman

articulate language allows the communication of abstract concepts, animals can't do that with their current means but maybe I'm wrong

What happens if a troop of monkeys which along the generations loses all predators in their habitat? They no longer have any dangers to shout warning about so eventually that learned behavior will be lost from the young not ever experiencing it.
Now if a predator species suddenly migrates they have no story telling ability to relearn what was done in the past generations ago. Eventually they will relearn to run from what eats them but if they were able to story tell or had written experiences they learned from they would not have lost past behaviors.

A lot of primitive tribes reenact rituals of past experiences of generations ago for this reason.

posted on Apr, 22 2015 @ 12:09 PM
link   

the fact is we have 500+ million years and nothing new

why?

there have been many mass extinctions which should have givin rise to something new

Stop right there. Do you actually know the definition of the "nothing new" and "something new" that you keep using?

Do you know what sort of organisms evolved during the 20 millions years known as the Cambrian Explosion?

You keep attacking others and displaying such utter confidence in your ideas but I feel that you don't have even a basic grasp on the points you're trying to make.

Can you please define "phylum" for me?

posted on Apr, 22 2015 @ 12:10 PM
link   

None of this has anything to do with the communication of abstract concepts. Abstract concepts are things like time, beauty or god.

Again, maybe I'm wrong but you need articulate language for the emergence of abstract concepts.

posted on Apr, 22 2015 @ 12:11 PM
link   

Anyone with the capability of independent thinking can question a theory. We understand 3 of the unknown amount of dimensions around us, yet we act like questioning our creation and surroundings is some sort of blasphemy? I hate to hurt people's feelings, but you don't understand the least of what you are or where we came from. In 200 years people will be chuckling at our teachings in science and evolution.

posted on Apr, 22 2015 @ 12:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: FearYourMind
Also, why haven't any other apes evolved? If we supposedly came from apes then you would expect other apes would have evolved with us, but not one of them has.

They didn't get the same "nudge" genetically *ehm*

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join