It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Surface Of Venus As Seen From Soviet Venera Probes In 1981

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 22 2015 @ 07:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: Saint Exupery

originally posted by: Kapusta

originally posted by: Misterlondon
But the landscape in the 2 pics look very different.. was this probe able to move?

two different probes .

Actually, two different cameras on the same probe: Venera-13 (scroll down).

Here is a page about the Soviet exploration of Venus: Link

Here is a page about the images returned: Link

These are all from the wonderful Soviet Space Image Catalog, which can give you hours of fascinating research, history and, of course, images.

Enjoy!

I stand corrected I assumed that they were two different probes due to differing pics . and assumed they had sent more than just one probe to V .

Thanks for the info!

posted on Apr, 22 2015 @ 08:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: Shuye

originally posted by: crazyewok

originally posted by: Shuye
a reply to: Kapusta

Incredible images... So otherworldly, I feel like joining the next probe.

You would last 10 seconds on Venus

What 10 great seconds that would be.

If having you lungs and eyes dissolved by sulfuric acid is "your thing" then sure

posted on Apr, 22 2015 @ 09:11 AM
link   
a reply to: Shuye

And if the next probe is of Uranus? *giggle*

(The 12 yr old in me had to say that)

posted on Apr, 22 2015 @ 09:57 AM
link   
Imagine a yellow sky

How eery. .. Venus, me thinks you need a detox love

Never seen these pictures either, thanks, and thanks to the member who further added links to soviet space

posted on Apr, 22 2015 @ 10:08 AM
link   

I can see the Michigan Department of Transportation hasn't been there either to fix the black top

posted on Apr, 22 2015 @ 10:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: bobbypurify

I can see the Michigan Department of Transportation hasn't been there either to fix the black top

It would be funny if it wasn't so true...

Here is sticker everyone who lives in Michigan (or has to drive through Michigan) should have on car....

I am not sure if yellowish effect is lens effect or sky is really yellowish on those pictures.

Trying to compare it with own pictures from that time, before digital photography, some do have yellowish skies due to effects.

posted on Apr, 22 2015 @ 10:41 AM
link   
In the right hand picture, you can see four different terrain features.
1.) Foreground, with blocky, broken, flat-appearing rocks
2.) Nearby rim, with a wide gap in it
3.) More distant, mountain-like ridge, framed in that gap
4.)A yet more distant ridge, behind 3.

posted on Apr, 22 2015 @ 10:57 AM
link   
Wow, just wow! It always takes my breath away when I see images from other planets.

posted on Apr, 22 2015 @ 11:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: Justaposter
Wow, just wow! It always takes my breath away when I see images from other planets.

Pity the Lunar pictures aren't as clear as this.

For a planet covered in SMOG and POISON that comes out clearer than one (the Moon) with ZERO (questionable) ATMOSPHERE is mind boggling.

Maybe NASA should use Russian Optics.

Astronomers and astrophotographers give their left arm for Russian optics.

edit on 22-4-2015 by bullcat because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 22 2015 @ 11:09 AM
link   
Crazy why we haven't explored Venus more, seeing as it is practically Earth v2, and how Earth will get if we don't sort ourselves out. Mars is tiny, Venus our sister planet to me is much more interesting.

Or...Maybe we have, and it isn't as inhospitable as they say...(this is ATS after all)

posted on Apr, 22 2015 @ 11:38 AM
link   
The Russians took photographs of the surface of Venus with four different landers, between 1975, and 1982. These were Venera 9, 10, 13 and 14. The last two landed on different parts of the planet, within a few days of each other. They all took spherical images. which distorts the flat horizon into a circle. The images in the OP were corrected to give a more realistic rendering.

It's said that the yellow color of the sky is due to light scattering by the thick atmosphere, and possibly an unknown blue-absorbing substance therein. Link, below, to history and images from all of the Venera landers:
mentallandscape.com...

edit on 22-4-2015 by Ross 54 because: improved paragraph structure

edit on 22-4-2015 by Ross 54 because: improved paragraph structure

posted on Apr, 22 2015 @ 12:56 PM
link   
a reply to: Misterlondon

It rotated the camera, the atmosphere was so thick and dense it distorted the light in a semi fludic manner and the probe soon died due to the intense heat and pressure
www.space.com...
en.wikipedia.org...

The surface is hot enough to melt lead and it rain's sulphuric acid that evaporates back into the cloud layer long before it ever reaches the surface.

Other than that Venus has two continent's, anceint plate techtonic crust and a vast ocean basin but that ocean long ago evaporated away, it is almost as big as the earth being earth's true twin, the sun rises in the west and set's in the east with a day and night lasting 116 day's and 18 hours relative to earth day's.

posted on Apr, 22 2015 @ 02:15 PM
link   

Cool pics! Just tossing in some data on Venus:

It is radically different from Earth in other respects.

It has the densest atmosphere of the four terrestrial planets, consisting of more than 96% carbon dioxide.

The atmospheric pressure at the planet's surface is 92 times that of Earth's.

With a mean surface temperature of 735 K (462 °C; 863 °F), Venus is by far the hottest planet in the Solar System.

It may have possessed oceans in the past,[13][14] but these would have vaporized as the temperature rose due to a runaway greenhouse effect.[15] The water has most probably photodissociated, and, because of the lack of a planetary magnetic field, the free hydrogen has been swept into interplanetary space by the solar wind.[16] Venus's surface is a dry desertscape interspersed with slab-like rocks and periodically refreshed by volcanism.

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Apr, 22 2015 @ 04:17 PM
link   
it's beatiful on it's own way.

posted on Apr, 22 2015 @ 04:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: Ultralight
a reply to: Shuye

And if the next probe is of Uranus? *giggle*

(The 12 yr old in me had to say that)

you've got a 12 year old in you? That's sick, dude

posted on Apr, 22 2015 @ 04:37 PM
link   
If earth were moved to the same distance from the sun as venus the surface would look like that, too. All water vaporized to clouds the ground baked to higher than earth oven temperatures.

Does Venus have a molten core, and therefore enough of a magnetic field to protect its gaseous atmosphere?

Instead of it being blasted away by the suns radiation like on Mars?

posted on Apr, 22 2015 @ 04:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: intrptr
If earth were moved to the same distance from the sun as venus the surface would look like that, too. All water vaporized to clouds the ground baked to higher than earth oven temperatures.

Does Venus have a molten core, and therefore enough of a magnetic field to protect its gaseous atmosphere?

A planet or moon doesn't need a molten core to have a magnetic field or to have a thick atmosphere.

See Venus, See Titan....

And read this article - A Magnetic Surprise from Venus

posted on Apr, 22 2015 @ 05:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: SuperFrog

originally posted by: smirkley
Mars at least looks like something was going on at one time.

Venus looks like nothing but baked surface.

Actually, if we don't learn how to control greenhouse effect, earth might look very similar. Just imagine all energy converted into heat never escaping surface...

It is not just temperature that would kill you, but pressure, witch is 92 times greater then earth's pressure.

Basic gas laws:

Temperature ∝ Pressure

The higher the pressure, the higher the temperature. Then all those gases just absorb the visible sunlight and emit it as infra-red. Makes a hot humid Summer day seem like a cool evening.

posted on Apr, 22 2015 @ 05:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: JadeStar

originally posted by: intrptr

A planet or moon doesn't need a molten core to have a magnetic field or to have a thick atmosphere.

See Venus, See Titan....

And read this article - A Magnetic Surprise from Venus

Is this to be a greenhouse supportive article then? One that compares earth to venus if we don't stop global warming or some such?

Because that article goes on to say:

The data also show that, in many respects, the magnetosphere of Venus is a scaled-down version of Earth’s. - See more at: www.astrobio.net...

So okay then, it does have a magnetosphere…

Sorry JadeStar I respect your authority on ATS on these subjects. I'm also watchful of the global warming science brigade. Those guys are a little jaded…

posted on Apr, 22 2015 @ 05:20 PM
link   
a reply to: JadeStar

Further:

Would the earth become Venus like if it moved into Venus' orbit?

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join