It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Oort Perspective

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 21 2015 @ 09:44 PM
link   
What follows is a hypothetical in relation to insuring in potential the survival of the human race. In context with respect to current technology, it could be considered fiction but, with respect to modern potential, not unimaginable.

In respect to our moderators feel free to move this response to any forum you see fit.

Above top secret command 4439725/survival prerequisite protocol 1.

Evaluation of our Oort Cloud presents the potential of habitable environments. This in the context of creating underground facilities that, in effect could be very large. And could not only house humans but as well, maintain environments, consistent with the survival of other forms of life indigenous to earth.

These facilities could potentially relate to enormous swaths of a potential planetoid especially given structural reinforcements.

Any thoughts?
edit on 21-4-2015 by Kashai because: Content edit

posted on Apr, 21 2015 @ 09:49 PM
link   
Looks interesting, not sure what you're telling us though. It could likely use some further explanation.

posted on Apr, 21 2015 @ 09:54 PM
link   
a reply to: caterpillage
I am suggesting we can use planetoids like Pluto as residences and in relation to setting up underground facilities that are friendly to Earth type life.

There seems to be an abundant number of such objects.

edit on 21-4-2015 by Kashai because: Added content

posted on Apr, 21 2015 @ 09:56 PM
link   
a reply to: Kashai

Oh ok, thought maybe you had some insider info going on that this is being planned of something.

Wouldn't Mars be a lot easier to do that with?

posted on Apr, 21 2015 @ 10:02 PM
link   
a reply to: caterpillage

The thing with Mars is the Radiation and the same applies to anything in orbit with respect to Jupiter. The Oort Cloud in that respect is another story. Sure we can deal this the issues of Saturn and Beyond but in respect to problems with radiation a light year from the Sun .

posted on Apr, 21 2015 @ 10:02 PM
link   

Isn't Pluto a tad too far away??

posted on Apr, 21 2015 @ 10:05 PM
link   
You mean the Kuiper Belt.

Pluto and other dwarf planets, like Eris, are part of the Kuiper Belt.

The Oort Cloud is a theory, and has not been directly observed (but most likely exists). It's also much, much further out than the Kuiper Belt.

posted on Apr, 21 2015 @ 10:10 PM
link   
a reply to: Ultralight

Project Orion which was developed in the late 50's/ early 60' could get us their in less than 2 years.

posted on Apr, 21 2015 @ 10:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: eriktheawful
You mean the Kuiper Belt.

Pluto and other dwarf planets, like Eris, are part of the Kuiper Belt.

The Oort Cloud is a theory, and has not been directly observed (but most likely exists). It's also much, much further out than the Kuiper Belt.

Oort cloud
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia'/b]

The Oort cloud (/ˈɔrt/ or /ˈʊərt/[1]) or Öpik–Oort cloud,[2] named after Dutch astronomer Jan Oort and Estonian astronomer Ernst Öpik, is a theoretical spherical cloud of predominantly icy planetesimals believed to surround the Sun at a distance of up to around 100,000 AU (2 ly).[3] This places it at half of the distance to Proxima Centauri, the nearest star to the Sun. The Kuiper belt and the scattered disc, the other two reservoirs of trans-Neptunian objects, are less than one thousandth as far from the Sun as the Oort cloud. The outer limit of the Oort cloud defines the cosmographical boundary of the Solar System and the region of the Sun's gravitational dominance.[4]

The Oort cloud is thought to comprise two regions: a spherical outer Oort cloud and a disc-shaped inner Oort cloud, or Hills cloud. Objects in the Oort cloud are largely composed of ices, such as water, ammonia, and methane.

Astronomers conjecture that the matter composing the Oort cloud formed closer to the Sun and was scattered far into space by the gravitational effects of the giant planets early in the Solar System's evolution.[3] Although no confirmed direct observations of the Oort cloud have been made, it may be the source of all long-period and Halley-type comets entering the inner Solar System, and many of the centaurs and Jupiter-family comets as well.[5] The outer Oort cloud is only loosely bound to the Solar System, and thus is easily affected by the gravitational pull both of passing stars and of the Milky Way itself. These forces occasionally dislodge comets from their orbits within the cloud and send them towards the inner Solar System.[3] Based on their orbits, most of the short-period comets may come from the scattered disc, but some may still have originated from the Oort cloud.[3][5]

Source

At issue is that the Kuiper belt is not enough to provide shelter to Earths population.

posted on Apr, 21 2015 @ 10:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: Kashai
What follows is a hypothetical in relation to insuring in potential the survival of the human race. In context with respect to current technology, it could be considered fiction but, with respect to modern potential, not unimaginable.

In respect to our moderators feel free to move this response to any forum you see fit.

Above top secret command 4439725/survival prerequisite protocol 1.

Evaluation of our Oort Cloud presents the potential of habitable environments. This in the context of creating underground facilities that, in effect could be very large. And could not only house humans but as well, maintain environments, consistent with the survival of other forms of life indigenous to earth.

These facilities could potentially relate to enormous swaths of a potential planetoid especially given structural reinforcements.

Any thoughts?

It is very empty, dark and cold out there.

Why not build habitats closer to our star? Ones we can move closer or further away at whim?

posted on Apr, 21 2015 @ 10:20 PM
link   
a reply to: chr0naut

It may be very cold their but using moon sized snowballs to create underground habitats, the size of the United States is feasible technologically.

Further we are talking in context an enormous amount of territory, all things considered.

Any thoughts?

posted on Apr, 21 2015 @ 10:23 PM
link   

The Kuiper belt was named after Dutch-American astronomer Gerard Kuiper, though his role in hypothesising it has been heavily contested. Since it was discovered in 1992,[6] the number of known Kuiper belt objects (KBOs) has increased to over a thousand, and more than 100,000 KBOs over 100 km (62 mi) in diameter are believed to exist.

I'd say more than enough for all living species on Earth...and, we know for a fact it's there with very large bodies (dwarf planets).

However, beside the issue of how far all those objects are, you'll need to figure out a way to protect everything from Cosmic Rays not only during the long journey, but during construction, and duration of stay.

posted on Apr, 21 2015 @ 10:25 PM
link   
a reply to: eriktheawful

Consider that in Hypothesis the construction is done Robotically.

Further, consider the dispersion of harmful radiation at such a point in space.

posted on Apr, 21 2015 @ 10:27 PM
link   

I'm in! I volunteer. Let me grab my toothbrush and pillow first!

posted on Apr, 21 2015 @ 10:28 PM
link   

a reply to: Ultralight

Project Orion which was developed in the late 50's/ early 60' could get us their in less than 2 years.

They shut project orion because testing fission and fusion rockets in atmosphere is like dumping radioactive waste above ground.

Technically today they believe we can capture these radioactive gases safely.

It is not proven though.

But I honestly think the new ion drives are a much more intelligent and sage alternative.

They are currently working to scale them up to potentially lifting off from earth with nothing but an ion engine.

Or so I was told by an atser that has worked on one of the alternative versions.
Let me look for his thread, it was very informative.

posted on Apr, 21 2015 @ 10:34 PM
link   

a reply to: eriktheawful

Consider that in Hypothesis the construction is done Robotically.

Further, consider the dispersion of harmful radiation at such a point in space.

If we use minifacturing plants, we could send the plant itself, have it 3d print basic bots that could then assemble more complex bots that the parts are printed out for.

Minifacturing is a hypothetical 3d printer in which one can simply feed raw materials in one end and get parts right out the other side.

Either to make small bots, or parts to assemble large more capable machines.

Even the parts to assemble a larger printing facility.

It would only be limited in its ability by size.

The larger the plant, the larger the parts or whole bots vehicles etc.

posted on Apr, 21 2015 @ 10:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: Ultralight

I'm in! I volunteer. Let me grab my toothbrush and pillow first!

Don't forget a really warm blanket, it gets real cold out there, approaching absolute zero.

posted on Apr, 21 2015 @ 10:40 PM
link   
a reply to: johnwick

My spacecraft will provide...??

posted on Apr, 21 2015 @ 10:44 PM
link   
a reply to: johnwick

Essentially we would be creating a really big Igloo which, could augment to conditions equivalent to a tropical environment on Earth, is we so desired.

posted on Apr, 21 2015 @ 10:48 PM
link   
I don't know a lot about this stuff but I like your idea. The problem with Pluto is it's core is believed to be rock, which is surrounded by ice. I'm thinking you would want something with a core that could sustain heat to make it more livable. Roughly half of Pluto is rock and the rest is ice. That ice does melt when it gets closest to the Sun but it turns to gases and then freezes again as it makes its pass away again. I just keep thinking Armageddon, the movie, where they couldn't drill past the rock worth a #. But if we have advanced technology it could make that a non issue I suppose.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join