It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What's going on with Walmart?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 21 2015 @ 04:11 PM
link   
I just read that some Walmart stores are suddenly changing their hours of operation from being open 24 hours to only being open 8am - 12pm at some locations and others only being open 10am - 10pm. I cannot find the same article again even with a google search, but the snippet said the test market was Colorado if I remember correctly.

Anyone notice if the Walmarts in their area changing hours of operation suddenly or without notice? I am curious what is prompting the sudden change if this is true. Last week it was the sudden closure of 5 stores for "plumbing issues", which I am sure that most people have realized by now is a farce, and now possibly sudden changes in hours of operation at other locations.

I would like to add that I do not shop at Walmart, but being the biggest private employer in the US and I think the largest retailer, the changes are concerning for anyone that watches market trends.

edit on 4/21/2015 by SpaDe_ because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 21 2015 @ 04:19 PM
link   
a reply to: SpaDe_

I don't know the answer.
Cost cutting fits these tactics fairly well. It's the strongest hypothesis so far, although there are some sinister scenarios being circulated.

posted on Apr, 21 2015 @ 04:20 PM
link   

Considering it's the largest employer in quite a few states, the idea of them unionizing it makes me shudder given that unions are basically money laundering operations for the Democrat party.

I think the concept of what a union was and what it is now are two completely different things.

posted on Apr, 21 2015 @ 04:25 PM
link   
Another thing to consider -- If Walmarts are structurally reorganizing their businesses for cost-cutting, then the economy is not recovering as we have been led to believe, and since Walmart IS the largest employer is several states, the idea that it may be having financial troubles should scare the bejesus out of anyone, even the most ardent Walmart hater.

posted on Apr, 21 2015 @ 04:31 PM
link   
Walmart is hurting. While the holidays were good much of the anticipated growth is just not there anymore. They have to make adjustments meant to shave cost where they can. 24 hour stores cost more than they take in and many of the losses related to theft occur during those hours.

fortune.com...

www.charlotteobserver.com...

Walmart has reinvented itself many times and this is simply a new model they will follow to attempt to readjust to the changing market place. More than 55% of revenue for Walmart comes from groceries. The target for groceries do a majority of their shopping during the day. The only reason for them to be open at night is for restocking, I worked at Walmart for a little while and the overnight shift was usually just employees after midnight.

I like to do my shopping at night but I am a minority in that regards as most people have families and jobs that don't allow their schedule to change. Not all Walmart's are nor have they ever been open 24 hours. In my hometown they have several Walmart's and only 2 ever stayed open 24 hours and they fluctuated a great deal with that policy as at the time corporate allowed the managers to make that call.

As for the recent store closings, it is a little strange that only 5 hours notice was given to employees. I agree that "plumbing issues" don't necessarily make sense but corporate policies rarely make sense to me whether it be Microsoft, Google, or in this case Walmart. I think it is more than likely a reaction to the economy and a new re-branding model that they have in mind and it will debut at theses stores. Time will tell...6 months they say so we shall just have to wait and see.

posted on Apr, 21 2015 @ 04:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
Another thing to consider -- If Walmarts are structurally reorganizing their businesses for cost-cutting, then the economy is not recovering as we have been led to believe, and since Walmart IS the largest employer is several states, the idea that it may be having financial troubles should scare the bejesus out of anyone, even the most ardent Walmart hater.

These are my thoughts as well. If Walmart is in trouble financially it could be a sign of a serious economic downturn just around the corner. The way they are going about making these changes is what concerns me the most.

posted on Apr, 21 2015 @ 04:44 PM
link   
a reply to: DJMSN

I had no idea that so much of their revenue came from groceries. The Walmart in my area just became a super center offering all of their grocery line a few years ago.
edit on 4/21/2015 by SpaDe_ because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 21 2015 @ 04:44 PM
link   
Several threads about walmart!

I dont live in the US so cant check myself, but maybe some of you that do live there could.
If the explanations for closures are considered false then they obviously dont want you to know the real reasons.
Closures would mean work taking place, so I'd be checking to see whether security is being strengthened, by that I mean the building security! Are doors and windows being upgraded? That would indicate they have advance knowledge whats to come!

posted on Apr, 21 2015 @ 05:00 PM
link   

I was surprised by that myself after reading the article as most of the Walmart's in my area have only sold groceries in about the last 10 years. I think it is a direct result of the strategy they have used for years in the retail market. Buy bulk and sale lower than anyone else. They have so many stores that they edge out the competition when it comes to purchasing power and are able to go lower than anyone else in the market so the consumer makes adjustments to where they shop.

The retail market for other items like electronic goods has changed drastically and Walmart lost a big share of it to e-commerce retailers like Amazon and others who specialized liked Best Buy. They are great at what they do, Walmart mainly because they are ready to make adjustments and not afraid to do so. I do believe that there is some credible evidence to show that they are fighting against organizing workers as well so maybe this most recent closures at the 5 stores has something to do with that but overall I believe it will be some new image they will try.

posted on Apr, 21 2015 @ 09:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: SpaDe_

These are my thoughts as well. If Walmart is in trouble financially it could be a sign of a serious economic downturn just around the corner. The way they are going about making these changes is what concerns me the most.

Me too. And let's throw into the mix the bizarre claim of underground tunnels connecting Walmart stores in some regions. Normally I'm in the 'yeah, riiiight' camp on stuff like that, but look at it this way...

If something wicked this way comes, what a really well-stocked place for the elite to grab some goodies and head for the secret staircase leading to a network of tunnels which, so they say, includes their plush accommodations. To pull off this plan, they'd have to temporarily close stores (or alter the hours) to allow time for construction of the tunnel access. Also, they may not be lying about 'plumbing' because they would certainly need that down there!

Anybody near one of these curious Walmarts... your job, if you choose to accept it, is to keep a sharp eye out for unusual activity or deliveries during the 'off hours' ...this tape will self-destruct in 5 seconds.

Do I believe this? ...meh. It would make an interesting movie plot. Is it possible? Plausible, even? Sure.

posted on Apr, 22 2015 @ 03:36 AM
link   
I am in Colorado, and have friends and family around the state.

I'll send out some feelers, and will let you know if I hear anything.

posted on Apr, 22 2015 @ 03:30 PM
link   

As far as financial, this would be incorrect. I work in the warehouse and last year walmart made record breaking sales for that year.

posted on Apr, 22 2015 @ 04:34 PM
link   
This might be related or not but I thought this link might pertain to the thread.
www.fdic.gov...

All I read on the news is things are rosy peachy keen for the economy. You can achieve record sales and you shut down retails or banks that do not perform as expected by the shareholders. This does not account for all the laid off employees and the loss of purchasing power due to no work.

North America is in a tail spin and its been happening for years now and we are indeed going to hit the bottom soon. Just look at how they are hiding the fact we are enjoying Hyper Inflation.
consumerist.com...
Prices are still going up and the amount of product is going down.
retailindustry.about.com...

Radio shack, Sears, Kmart, etc and etc things are not good in my opinion only.
retailindustry.about.com...
Regards, Iwinder
edit on 22-4-2015 by Iwinder because: (no reason given)

top topics

join