It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is it beginning? Planet of the Apes ... Chimps look out for traffic and make hunting spears

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 21 2015 @ 12:52 PM
link   
The time is near my ape brethren. ..
Nearly time to go ape.

posted on Apr, 21 2015 @ 01:00 PM
link   
a reply to: AllSourceIntel

I couldn't resist.

ETA: I noticed some fish waited for the pickup truck to pass before crossing.
edit on 21-4-2015 by Involutionist because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 21 2015 @ 02:25 PM
link   

...unlike these chimps, learned not only to look both directions, but to stand upright to have a look further down the road...

Hmmm... maybe early humans learned to walk upright from having to cross superhighways cutting through the Serengeti?

Edit to add: and there are many examples of very intelligent dogs who learn to use traffic signals all by themselves... intelligence might not only be a (sometimes) human trait, but simply a matter of degree.
edit on 4/21/2015 by Baddogma because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 21 2015 @ 03:14 PM
link   
Taking my quote and cutting it half takes it out of context and ignores the significance of the behavior, that these chimps are cognizant not only that the cars are there, but they are deadly. Why is this so significant and why is the making of spears for hunting prey so significant? It is because there were no humans (except cars zipping past) for these fellows to observe. Your occasional pedestrian that stops and looks, maybe gets out and checks the chimp they hit, sure, but other than that, the chimps crossing the road had no other interaction with humans ... the chimps making spears, none other than observers (who are trained to not interfere) and maybe the occasional poacher.

Are crows and dogs and other creatures intelligent and exhibit brilliant behaviors? Yes, of course, and excitingly so! The distinction, is human activity.

originally posted by: Baddogma
Edit to add: and there are many examples of very intelligent dogs who learn to use traffic signals all by themselves... intelligence might not only be a (sometimes) human trait, but simply a matter of degree.

Those dogs most certainly did not learn on their own ... they learned by doing what dogs do best, observing human behavior and activity. Crows learned much of what they have by the same means, watching and observing and figuring out ways to co-exist to their benefit ... and researches and scientists that look into these things recognize that fact. Does that make them intelligent? Yes, but it pales in significance to a group of animals learning such intelligent behaviors so far away from human activity and nearly, if not entirely, on their own versus other animals who have the advantage of learning from our behaviors actions to pick up their own new behaviors and actions to adapt at ling with us, or avoid us.

posted on Apr, 21 2015 @ 03:14 PM
link   
double post
edit on 4/21/2015 by AllSourceIntel because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 21 2015 @ 03:20 PM
link   
All they have to do is see and comprehend something once. It gets passed on. The is something to the saying "Monkey see, monkey do." Now if anyone is afraid of them accelerating and taking over, just introduce religion into their culture and watch them crash.

posted on Apr, 21 2015 @ 03:26 PM
link   
Those damned dirty Apes!

posted on Apr, 21 2015 @ 03:30 PM
link   
a reply to: intrepid
I'll give on this one in regards to the road crossing as I haven't been able to read the full study yet, asked a college buddy to pull it and email it to me. In regards to hunting it's a tougher sell as researches note poaching in that area is rare and they did not observe that activity when they first began systematic observation. There is still a chance thought I suppose they could have saw it somewhere.

Maybe we should come up with a religion for them on ATS so we are ready, lol, made me laugh.

edit on 4/21/2015 by AllSourceIntel because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 21 2015 @ 03:35 PM
link   
Animals are very intelligent. Even a small fish shows signs of a fair amount of intelligence and they show it too. And think of how tiny their brains are, like the head of a match stick.

It is interesting though. Animals show high senses of awareness to danger though. Look at a tiny little shrimp on a reef poking his head out of a rock. They are very aware, they know.
edit on 21-4-2015 by Harvin because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 21 2015 @ 03:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: Harvin
um...animals are very intelligent. Even a small fish shows signs of a fair amount of intelligence and they show it too. And think of how tiny their brains are, like the head of a match stick.

That's true. I've had tropical fish that would hand feed. They would follow me as I went past the tank. They aren't stupid. Reactionary maybe but they need some type of intelligence to even do that. It's human arrogance that sometimes disallow us from seeing the sentience of others.

posted on Apr, 21 2015 @ 04:36 PM
link   

I get what you're saying about the significance, but you're not quite giving other animals enough credit. Some of the things ravens have been known to do for example goes far beyond observational memory. By your standards, any animal who lives around mankind's intelligence is automatically in question because they might have observed us.

posted on Apr, 21 2015 @ 04:51 PM
link   

Seems to me that these Monkeys have been watching 'Boko haram' members too much... creeping up on other primates, stabbing them and stealing their young!

Won't be long now...
edit on CDTTue, 21 Apr 2015 16:52:26 -0500u3004x126x1 by TruthxIsxInxThexMist because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 21 2015 @ 08:19 PM
link   
Surprised! Chimps have a better memory are stronger and more agile than the fittest man alive. The memory could be contested, I think the test I saw was more aimed at short term memory.

These animals eat better, get more exercise, they are exposed to less stress, live outside. Plus, they do all of this with no legislation or politicians.

We eat crap, if you don't, you get food that is not as potent as it used to be, most people are glued to a chair staring at a screen, indoors, have way more stress to deal with, live in cities with smog and exposed to many more chemicals. We have a complicated system of laws with politicians.

Sure we live longer because we discovered hygiene and some medicines which gave us an edge. They don't need any of that.

I think chimps are more responsible than the majority of first world country citizens. Maybe I have a bias because I am hairy.

edit on 21-4-2015 by bitsforbytes because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 21 2015 @ 08:25 PM
link   
Not necessarily any wild animal which would become accustomed to a high traffic road will take precautions and find ways in crossing those roads. The reason deer do it at night and you get the whole "deer caught in the headlights" saying is because crossing at night when there is less traffic is one way deer have found to cross roads more safely for them. Chimps do it that way because in there moving patterns and troupe its more easier for them to do it that way given there circumstance.

And chimps have been making stick tools for a long time both as weapons and as tools to help them for various reasons, such as sticks to help them reach insects or fruits more easily, or even using rocks to crack nuts or even as weapons. If your waiting for them to start building towns and make a more complex language then grunts and posing behavior, you may be waiting a long time, they have been like that for hundreds of thousands of years, and will likely be like that for just as long before they even are capable of even thinking more abstract thought forms.

posted on Apr, 21 2015 @ 11:27 PM
link   
Chimpanzees are devolved humans. Human beings are not originally from this solar system. Millions of years ago the human species, an intergalactic species, established a colony on planet Earth. This colony either got stranded and lost contact with the parent civilization or was abandoned by the parent civilization. Much of the population devolved into primate species as technology and understanding was lost.

posted on Apr, 21 2015 @ 11:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sublimecraft
They appear to be smarter and stronger than humans.

This Chimp dominates humans in memory tests.........

Chimp rips off human face and hands

So, the real question is.........will they treat us "humanly" once they take over the planet?

If you had spent your life locked in a cage, all because you were considered a novelty, how long would it be before you became mentally deranged . Your only peer group would be others who had experienced the same abuse. Wouldn't you want to get your own back? its the same in our jails. When in the wild its very rare for animals to attack a human, their is usually a display of aggression to give everyone the chance to back off. Which is exactly the same Simian behaviour humans show.

posted on Apr, 21 2015 @ 11:53 PM
link   
While this is totally cool and interesting, it doesn't have me worried for the imminent rise of our ape brothers. First while i do believe it would be possible for Chimps to eventually evolve to a human-like species, even with genetic engineering it is improbable. Second short of a global plague or disaster there are just too many of us for them to succeed in overthrowing us as the planets apex life form.

posted on Apr, 22 2015 @ 12:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: galadofwarthethird
Not necessarily any wild animal which would become accustomed to a high traffic road will take precautions and find ways in crossing those roads. The reason deer do it at night and you get the whole "deer caught in the headlights" saying is because crossing at night when there is less traffic is one way deer have found to cross roads more safely for them.

Has nothing to do with it. Deer are crepuscular meaning they are most active at dusk and dawn to limit their exposure to predators. They cross at night simply because that is when they are naturally most active. The whole "deer caught in headlights" is because it is night and headlights are rather blinding and they will literally stop moving until their vision adjusts. You can get a similar effect from them walking in the woods with a powerful enough flash light or lantern.

posted on Apr, 22 2015 @ 07:14 PM
link   
Absolutely evolution in action. These cautious environment-specific traits will be passed on to the surviving chimp's offspring. They will then have a genetic predisposition to "looking both ways" as well as a maternal/paternal influence of teaching them to do so (if the parents survive.)

posted on Apr, 25 2015 @ 12:05 AM
link   

youtu.be...

Chimp Vs. Drone ^^

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join