It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Can anyone name a religion that DOESNT believe in reincarnation?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 20 2015 @ 07:29 PM
link   
a reply to: Awen24

Do you deny that, according to John, the disciples believed in Reincarnation?

9 And as Jesus passed by, he saw a man which was blind from his birth.

2 And his disciples asked him, saying, Master, who did sin, this man, or his parents, that he was born blind?

Early Christians took reincarnation as a truth for granted.

The first-century Jewish historian Flavius Josephus states that the Pharisees, the founders of rabbinic Judaism for whom Paul once belonged, believed in reincarnation. He writes that the Pharisees believed that the souls of bad men are punished after death but that the souls of good men are "removed into other bodies" and they will "have power to revive and live again." reluctant-messenger.com...

the Bible has no bearing on reincarnation whatsoever. Doesn't even address it, save to suggest indirectly that such a thing is impossible ("it is determined to man once to die; and after that, judgment").

Now you're being patently dishonest.

Also, Paul wasn't addressing reincarnation, he was addressing whether or not Jesus has to return and die for every generation.

The Old Testament clearly says that God will send THE Prophet Elijah. Jesus clearly claims that John IS Elijah. Without John being THE actual prophet Elijah, not some stand in, you don't have a "Christ". Since John was born of a woman, he was reincarnated.

Additionally, Zecharia 3 gives a description of a High Priest being judged by the Lord and given his destiny in the next life. So there's the Bible reinforcing the judgement that occurs after every life and before the next incarnation.

Let me ask you this, Do you believe that Christian saints are still asleep, waiting for the resurrection? Or are they sipping on Pina Coladas in paradise waiting for the end of the world, when they can finally get their bodies back?

edit on 20-4-2015 by windword because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 20 2015 @ 09:03 PM
link   
No, Christianity does NOT believe in Jesus reincarnating.

Oh, I see it has been answered very eloquently by Disraeli.

posted on Apr, 20 2015 @ 09:10 PM
link   
a reply to: WarminIndy

No it hasn't. "That's not what he meant" is no answer.

posted on Apr, 20 2015 @ 09:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: windword
a reply to: Awen24

Do you deny that, according to John, the disciples believed in Reincarnation?

9 And as Jesus passed by, he saw a man which was blind from his birth.

2 And his disciples asked him, saying, Master, who did sin, this man, or his parents, that he was born blind?

Early Christians took reincarnation as a truth for granted.

The first-century Jewish historian Flavius Josephus states that the Pharisees, the founders of rabbinic Judaism for whom Paul once belonged, believed in reincarnation. He writes that the Pharisees believed that the souls of bad men are punished after death but that the souls of good men are "removed into other bodies" and they will "have power to revive and live again." reluctant-messenger.com...

the Bible has no bearing on reincarnation whatsoever. Doesn't even address it, save to suggest indirectly that such a thing is impossible ("it is determined to man once to die; and after that, judgment").

Now you're being patently dishonest.

Also, Paul wasn't addressing reincarnation, he was addressing whether or not Jesus has to return and die for every generation.

The Old Testament clearly says that God will send THE Prophet Elijah. Jesus clearly claims that John IS Elijah. Without John being THE actual prophet Elijah, not some stand in, you don't have a "Christ". Since John was born of a woman, he was reincarnated.

Additionally, Zecharia 3 gives a description of a High Priest being judged by the Lord and given his destiny in the next life. So there's the Bible reinforcing the judgement that occurs after every life and before the next incarnation.

Let me ask you this, Do you believe that Christian saints are still asleep, waiting for the resurrection? Or are they sipping on Pina Coladas in paradise waiting for the end of the world, when they can finally get their bodies back?

The concept of his parents or him doing sin is from the Old Testament, the concept that God will punish down to the third and fourth generation for sin. However, Ezekiel said that the sins of the fathers would not be requited upon the son, and the son's sin would not be requited upon the father.

That was a debate among the Jews long before.

And the rabbinical discussions that became part of the Talmud, they were simply opinions, you can find other rabbinical opinions.

Paul was from the school of Hillel and it wasn't the only Yeshiva. While Torah is supposed to be the source of all opinion, Talmud isn't scripture.

Talmud is opinion and Talmud is what you quoted. Just because one sect of Judaism discussed it and gave opinions about it does not mean all Jews agreed with it.

Difference in Torah and Talmud

The Karaite Jews are not Pharisees, maybe this might help

Nehemiah Gordon is a Karaite Jew, it is just the Pharisee Jews who follow opinions of rabbis.

edit on 4/20/2015 by WarminIndy because: (no reason given)

edit on 4/20/2015 by WarminIndy because: Youtube videos are not linking

posted on Apr, 20 2015 @ 09:30 PM
link   
a reply to: windword

There is no reincarnation in Christianity. The thread asks to name one religion that doesn't believe in reincarnation. Not whether there really is reincarnation.
The answer is Christianity.
No one is debating reincarnation. Maybe start another thread asking that question but for this thread it's a different question.

posted on Apr, 20 2015 @ 09:35 PM
link   

No it hasn't. "That's not what he meant" is no answer.

The only point I was addressing was "Christians believe that Jesus reincarnated"...no, that is something we do not believe.

For Jesus to have reincarnated (which means transmigration of the soul), there would have had to be a baby born and the soul would transmigrate to that baby, but Jesus was seen as a grown man, walking around in His body, resurrected, not reincarnated.

Olam Haba

The idea of reincarnation in Judaism is really left to the individual.

Judaism does not have much dogma about the afterlife, and leaves a great deal of room for personal opinion.

One Jew might believe in reincarnation while another doesn't. So to say that it is a Jewish belief, not really.

posted on Apr, 20 2015 @ 09:37 PM
link   

The concept of his parents or him doing sin is from the Old Testament, the concept that God will punish down to the third and fourth generation for sin. However, Ezekiel said that the sins of the fathers would not be requited upon the son, and the son's sin would not be requited upon the father.

That's why the disciples asked "Who sinned THIS MAN or his parents?" Clearly the disciples believed in reincarnation.

And the rabbinical discussions that became part of the Talmud, they were simply opinions, you can find other rabbinical opinions

I didn't quote the Talmud, I quoted Josephus. According to Josephus, who himself believed in reincarnation, the Pharisees and the Essene, who Josephus initiated with, and many believe Paul did also, also believed in reincarnation. The Essene were the first Christians and they DID believe in reincarnation.

Paul was from the school of Hillel and it wasn't the only Yeshiva.

Then you should know that Hillel fancied himself the reincarnation of Aaron, and taught that each soul has up to 3 times to reincarnate before the final judgement.

posted on Apr, 20 2015 @ 09:45 PM
link   

That's why the disciples asked "Who sinned THIS MAN or his parents?" Clearly the disciples believed in reincarnation.

And the rabbinical discussions that became part of the Talmud, they were simply opinions, you can find other rabbinical opinions

I didn't quote the Talmud, I quoted Josephus. According to Josephus, who himself believed in reincarnation, the Pharisees and the Essene, who Josephus initiated with, and many believe Paul did also, also believed in reincarnation. The Essene were the first Christians and they DID believe in reincarnation.

Paul was from the school of Hillel and it wasn't the only Yeshiva.

Then you should know that Hillel fancied himself the reincarnation of Aaron, and taught that each soul has up to 3 times to reincarnate before the final judgement.

And you say Josephus was a Pharisee, so he was quoting Talmud, not Torah.

Talmud is opinions.

Hillel was only one teacher of one yeshiva, he spoke of his opinions. That does not mean all yeshivas or all Jews agreed with him.

I do not disagree that those people were indeed asking that, because they did. But that had nothing to do with reincarnation anyway, because some people believe that sin causes sickness.

That is a very old idea and not only found in Judaism, other religions also believed that. Even some Christians believe that.

They didn't ask "what sin did he do in a former life". They asked "what sin did he do" meaning it was in this life they were thinking that, because they were really more concerned about this life.

posted on Apr, 20 2015 @ 09:47 PM
link   

Actually they were asking about a former life...

That's why it says the man was blind from birth... meaning at birth said judgement was placed on him already

edit on 20-4-2015 by Akragon because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 20 2015 @ 09:49 PM
link   
a reply to: AutumnWitch657

There is no reincarnation in Christianity. The thread asks to name one religion that doesn't believe in reincarnation. Not whether there really is reincarnation.
The answer is Christianity.

Yes there is. Without it you don't have Christianity.

Malachi 4>5
"Look, I am sending you the prophet Elijah before the great and dreadful day of the LORD arrives.

Without THE prophet Elijah, you don't have "that dreadful day".

14"And if you are willing to accept it, John himself is Elijah who was to come. 15"He who has ears to hear, let him hear.

You can't get around it. Reincarnation and Christianity are intrinsically connected.

edit on 20-4-2015 by windword because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 20 2015 @ 09:53 PM
link   

And you say Josephus was a Pharisee, so he was quoting Talmud, not Torah.

Talmud is opinions.

Nope. Josephus didn't write the Talmud, nor does he comment on it. The quote is from his "Jewish Antiquities".

I do not disagree that those people were indeed asking that, because they did. But that had nothing to do with reincarnation anyway, because some people believe that sin causes sickness.

How does one sin before they're born?

His disciples asked him, "Rabbi, who sinned, this man or his parents, that he was born blind?"

posted on Apr, 20 2015 @ 09:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: Akragon

Actually they were asking about a former life...

That's why it says the man was blind from birth... meaning at birth said judgement was placed on him already

Yes, and that was an old concept as well. Other religions believe in the same idea, some people are just born under a bad sign.

Some people also believed the seventh son of the seventh son gave them supernatural abilities. That is a superstition. Just because some people were asking if he was born under a bad sign, because of some sin, does not mean it was reincarnation they were referring to.

posted on Apr, 20 2015 @ 09:58 PM
link   
a reply to: windword

Why the not Christian idea of what I just asked Akra about? Some people believe that some are born under a bad sign. Isn't that why many people want horoscopes read?

posted on Apr, 20 2015 @ 10:03 PM
link   

That's not what the disciples asked about. They didn't ask why the blind man was born under a bad "sign" they asked who "Did this man sin to be born this way?" Cut and dry reincarnation! You have to do some pretty impresive mental gymnastics to deny it!

posted on Apr, 20 2015 @ 10:05 PM
link   

Except the bible says nothing about being born under a bad sign...

Clearly the man did something before his life to warrant such a judgement...

Besides that theres only one way to explain this passage...

I am the door: by me if any man enter in, he shall be saved, and shall go in and out, and find pasture.

posted on Apr, 20 2015 @ 10:15 PM
link   

That's not what the disciples asked about. They didn't ask why the blind man was born under a bad "sign" they asked who "Did this man sin to be born this way?" Cut and dry reincarnation! You have to do some pretty impresive mental gymnastics to deny it!

Do you take it as literal? I thought you believed it was allegorical.

That is not reincarnation.

The concept of "Generational curses" are ancient, which is what I was saying they were alluding to.

This is where it originates

You shall not bow down to them or serve them, for I the LORD your God am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers on the children to the third and the fourth generation of those who hate me, but showing steadfast love to thousands of those who love me and keep my commandments. (Exodus 20:5-6; cf Numbers 14:18; Deuteronomy 5:9) Read more: www.compellingtruth.org...

They heard this as law, so in their world view, someone had to have sinned, regardless of who it might be in the family, sickness was the result, so they viewed blindness as a curse in those days.

Today we don't view it as a curse, but they did then. That is also the basis for born under a bad sign. Karma can also be seen as a curse, some karmic law maker must have dictated that.

posted on Apr, 20 2015 @ 10:16 PM
link   

I am the door: by me if any man enter in, he shall be saved, and shall go in and out, and find pasture.

Just as I said to Windword

You shall not bow down to them or serve them, for I the LORD your God am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers on the children to the third and the fourth generation of those who hate me, but showing steadfast love to thousands of those who love me and keep my commandments. (Exodus 20:5-6; cf Numbers 14:18; Deuteronomy 5:9) Read more: www.compellingtruth.org...

That was in their world view.

posted on Apr, 20 2015 @ 10:17 PM
link   

Except Jesus clarified that issue... Neither him or his parents sinned...

Sorry... doesn't work

posted on Apr, 20 2015 @ 10:19 PM
link   

But as you and Windword can seem to incorporate your opinion on Torah, then you are freely allowed to do so, because there is no restriction in Judaism for you to have your opinion on reincarnation. So you are Pharisaical, and that is ok.

But resurrection is a Christian maxim.

posted on Apr, 20 2015 @ 10:20 PM
link   

Except Jesus clarified that issue... Neither him or his parents sinned...

Sorry... doesn't work

So what's the problem?

He said no one sinned, problem solved.

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join