It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why We Should Consider a Mission to 550 AU From Sol

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 28 2015 @ 01:03 AM
link   
I actually got switched up with who was posting to who there honestly.

My point is simple, while interesting the "how" will absolutely work itself out, likely as usual in an unexpected manner, much in the same way alternative energy is opening up from 100 directions right now.

It feels "futile" to me to debate the "how" since innovation has that way of exploding in directions hardly anyone could have predicted since research opens doors...

I'm just in the "why" camp... the incentive, that's where I think the real issues lay, the harder problem to solve is the motivation imho... I'm a giant geek, I don't need it, but politicians and people do... like I said earlier, my mind goes to the PR issues on it. How to create incentive on the whole concept.

posted on Apr, 28 2015 @ 01:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: criticalhit
I actually got switched up with who was posting to who there honestly.

My point is simple, while interesting the "how" will absolutely work itself out, likely as usual in an unexpected manner, much in the same way alternative energy is opening up from 100 directions right now.

It feels "futile" to me to debate the "how" since innovation has that way of exploding in directions hardly anyone could have predicted since research opens doors...

I'm just in the "why" camp... the incentive, that's where I think the real issues lay, the harder problem to solve is the motivation imho... I'm a giant geek, I don't need it, but politicians and people do... like I said earlier, my mind goes to the PR issues on it. How to create incentive on the whole concept.

we live in a fortunate age though. We no longer have to wait for big government to finance thing or to do things. private companies and even individuals are doing it now. Things will develop as never before. Who is it that is developing cargo and personal shuttles to the ISS now? Who is that dude at UC Fullerton that is working on ME thrusters and maybe wormholes? A private individual named James Woodward.

posted on Apr, 28 2015 @ 01:57 AM
link   
Amen, right with you, I said earlier it will all have to happen via private industry.

Here is the thing though and it's why I say the PR is everything.

I saw this thread and loved it... and here we are on page 4, barely 10-15 people posted and some of it took the turn of, "naw can't happen"

meanwhile... This Baltimore shiz, Fergueson, who should we kill first the Jews or the Palestinians racks the pages up like no tomorrow and this is kind of a microcosm of the world.

What will appeal to these people to get behind something positive and useful is where my mind goes, you had it right from inception... "why should we go" which was to a degree greeted by a couple of "right ons" a couple of "no ways" and a whole lot of Apathy

(frankly my personal opinion is this was the most interesting topic of the week, kudos, and if anything "Baltimore" is a damn good reason to get too 550 AU lol, I say that as humor BUT also seriously)

I say the "why" was the right question from the get go... and how to make that "why" appeal to people is where the real answer lays in regards to getting the job done.

My friend... we have a real problem here. The world is consumed with it's end not continuing "beyond" it feels like "Idiocracy" but maybe the answer is "there are hookers on Pluto" It feels like Branson is the only one aiming in the right direction, space cruises and the like... Getting it "paid for" to me this is the 1000 Lb Gorilla. The bulk of people are into Bruce Jenner and Riots

Shift their consciousness off this crap, that's how we get to 550 AU

posted on Apr, 28 2015 @ 04:59 PM
link   
a reply to: stormbringer1701

www.gizmag.com...

The 4 Newton (0.9 lbs of thrust) bit if memory serves was from when they were developing & testing the initial VASIMR engine. It was using or planned to use 200/250kW's but to achieve the aim of going humans going to Mars in 39 days would require a reactor that could output something like 20MW's.

posted on Apr, 28 2015 @ 06:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: big_BHOY
a reply to: stormbringer1701

www.gizmag.com...

The 4 Newton (0.9 lbs of thrust) bit if memory serves was from when they were developing & testing the initial VASIMR engine. It was using or planned to use 200/250kW's but to achieve the aim of going humans going to Mars in 39 days would require a reactor that could output something like 20MW's.
nah. Dr White has nothing to do with VASIMR. Dr White's QVPT is a different engine. Dr White's presentation slides were briefing on the performance of his QVPT.

posted on Jan, 30 2016 @ 04:22 PM
link   
Thread necromantic ritual in progress:

Arise- RISE from the dead oh thread of dread! Arise! Mwahahahaha!

Boogah boogah!

Necro'd due to new planet in the vicinity...
edit on 30-1-2016 by stormbringer1701 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 30 2016 @ 05:08 PM
link   
So there is a new planet and it is fairly close to the 550 AU point give or take 200 AU...

and people are already talking about how we should send probes to the new planet. There are two mission modes to do this: Orbiters where the probe(s) slows down and enters orbit around the planet or else fly by mode where a probe is sent but the mass for propellant to slow down is omitted. The later is a lot easier and cheaper than the former.

So if it is a fly by the probe will continue out into the void after a brief encounter with the planet and any moons. at best it would have just a few hours of useful observation near the planet. so why waste that billion dollar probe afterwards? give it a secondary mission. or a tertiary mission.

why not add a little equipment to it and have it take visual, radio, UV and IR images when it gets to the 550 AU region? it could have a list of target stars and objects along the proper observer to target line which would of course depend on the new planet's orbital position since the probe won't be able to radically alter it's trajectory.

Even with the randomness inherit in the planet's currently unknown position some stars or objects should be on the flight line.

it would need enough maneuver thruster propellant to change it's orientation to face a target and precision gyros or reaction wheels to hold it steady and the instrument package.

i don't think it would add enough mass to be out of the question but one could argue that it might be better to use any added mass to allow it to enter orbit instead of being a flyby.
edit on 30-1-2016 by stormbringer1701 because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join