It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Abe Lincoln assassinated!!! (150 years ago today)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 14 2015 @ 08:08 AM
link   
Humans like round numbers, and this is a major historical one. 150 years ago Abe Lincoln, his wife, and a co-worker and his fiancée took in a play, and three of them walked away from it. Lincoln was shot, lingered until the early morning, and gave up the ghost. Today the phrase uttered when he died, "Now he belongs to the ages", brings "the ages" to a century and a half. Not much more than that in this OP, just a time-benchmark reminder of a historical moment in world events.

EDIT: Clara Harris is probably the least known person in the president's box that night, and her Wikipedia page is quite interesting, especially the part about her bricking up the closet where she kept the blood-stained dress she wore that evening.

The last hot woman Lincoln saw in his life, Ms. Clara Harris:

edit on 14-4-2015 by Aleister because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 14 2015 @ 08:13 AM
link   
a reply to: Aleister

I noticed they rolled out the chair he was assassinated in and put it on display. When I was in school it seemed like this happened forever ago, but now that I am older, 150 really is not that long ago.

posted on Apr, 14 2015 @ 08:21 AM
link   
a reply to: warpig69

I was able to touch his deathbed at the Chicago Historical Society before, in recent years, they put an enclosure around it. Lots of artifacts from that night exist, I think the derringer gun is in the basement museum at Ford's Theater in Washington, D.C.

posted on Apr, 14 2015 @ 09:35 AM
link   

Paul Craig Roberts has a new piece about Lincoln that I found interesting .

April 13, 2015 "ICH" - It is one of history’s ironies that the Lincoln Memorial is a sacred space for the Civil Rights Movement and the site of Martin Luther King’s “I Have a Dream” speech.
Lincoln did not think blacks were the equals of whites. Lincoln’s plan was to send the blacks in America back to Africa, and if he had not been assassinated, returning blacks to Africa would likely have been his post-war policy.

As Thomas DiLorenzo and a number of non-court historians have conclusively established, Lincoln did not invade the Confederacy in order to free the slaves. The Emancipation Proclamation did not occur until 1863 when opposition in the North to the war was rising despite Lincoln’s police state measures to silence opponents and newspapers. The Emancipation Proclamation was a war measure issued under Lincoln’s war powers. The proclamation provided for the emancipated slaves to be enrolled in the Union army replenishing its losses. It was also hoped that the proclamation would spread slave revolts in the South while southern white men were away at war and draw soldiers away from the fronts in order to protect their women and children. The intent was to hasten the defeat of the South before political opposition to Lincoln in the North grew stronger.

The Lincoln Memorial was built not because Lincoln “freed the slaves,” but because Lincoln saved the empire. As the Savior of the Empire, had Lincoln not been assassinated, he could have become emperor for life.
www.informationclearinghouse.info...

posted on Apr, 14 2015 @ 11:55 AM
link   
a reply to: the2ofusr1

I have read several things about Abe Lincoln not being a good person or at least a bad president. Lincoln did not oppose slavery and viewed blacks as less than human. He used censorship and suspended the writ of habeas corpus. Who really knows, there are always two sides to every story. The winners are the ones who get to write history.

posted on Apr, 14 2015 @ 12:29 PM
link   
Bankers killed him, and Kennedy. No wonder they want to remove Jackson off the $20, the Man that shut down the 2nd Central Bank of America. Now called the Federal Reserve Bank.

posted on Apr, 14 2015 @ 03:10 PM
link   
a reply to: the2ofusr1

Have you not seen the movie "Lincoln", or read the history of the amendment to end slavery which Lincoln worked his behind-off for during last few months of his life? Another point is that Booth very likely decided to kill him, instead of his original plan to kidnap him, when Booth heard Lincoln's White House window speech in which the president mused about giving the newly freed slaves, and America's free blacks, the right to vote. Lincoln may have mumbled and wished-upon-a-star about the return to Africa, but would not have "sent" anyone there if he had lived. Instead he made sure that slavery ended, and that all blacks were free citizens. If some African-Americans wanted to move or visit Africa that was their choice, no one elses.

They didn't call him Honest Abe for nuttin.

edit on 14-4-2015 by Aleister because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join