It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Putin’s Missile Could Make U.S. Attacks on Iran Nearly Impossible

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 13 2015 @ 07:02 PM
link   
This is interesting

Has Putin puts a knife into Obama?

LINK

This nuke deal with Iran had better work. Because the Kremlin is lifting a ban on selling a powerful air defense system to Iran that would render an air strike on Tehran’s nuclear weapons facilities nearly impossible. Called the Almaz-Antei S-300PMU-1—known as the SA-20 Gargoyle in NATO parlance--the delivery of the new weapon would effectively force the U.S. to rely on its small fleet of stealth aircraft to strike targets inside Iran in case the Mullahs make a dash for the Bomb. But even those aircraft might have a difficult time. According to a report from Russian state media, Russian president Vladimir Putin signed a decree on Monday that would allow the sale of the fearsome S-300 air defense system to Iran.

Why now?

It would seem that Iran wouldn’t need this with the new agreement.

But Putin may be throwing a wrench in Obama’s plan for Iran Rapprochement with this just to poke Obama in the eye, probably over the US’ NATO grabbing countries surrounding Russia and of course the Ukraine crises, and of course the sanctions on Russia by the US and the West

I see the GOP now crying
“You see Obama’s appeasement of Iran hasn’t stopped Russia or Iran”

The U.S. government has lobbied Russia hard for many years to prevent the sale of the S-300 to Iran. In 2010, convincing Putin to suspend the sale of the S-300 to Iran was heralded as a major foreign policy coup by the Obama administration. In many ways, it was one of the central achievements of the so-called “reset” in relations with Moscow, said Heather Conley, a Russia expert at the Center for Strategic and International Studies in Washington.

Since then, of course, relations with Russia have cooled to nearly Cold War levels of hostility. Making life difficult for American policy makers is once again a Kremlin priority. “Mr. Putin’s policies are not designed to assist the West or to make our jobs and ability to affect policy much more difficult,” Conley said. “It’s also reminder to Washington and other Western capitals that they have some cards to play here.”

Another factor that might be motivating Moscow is that with the Russian economy in shambles, Moscow needs all of the economic stimulus that it can get. The missile deal with Iran would reportedly net Russia more than $800 million.

Also it may be with Israel rattling about still attacking Iran Putin may just be giving an ally an edge

posted on Apr, 13 2015 @ 07:11 PM
link   
The thing is, that radar system might be a challenge for the air craft that we know about.

What about the aircraft that we have in our arsenal that are still deep jet black? Meethinks they would cut through the S-300 like a hot knife.

posted on Apr, 13 2015 @ 07:17 PM
link   
How about a SEAD attack prior to bombing the main targets. Obama is the problem not Putin! If Obama hadn't respond in a wimpish way Putin would still be riding his horse.
edit on 13-4-2015 by buddah6 because: lobotomized through superior pain meds.

posted on Apr, 13 2015 @ 07:25 PM
link   
Mossad is planning as we speak.

Obama, Kerry, and Jarret are on the floor in fetal positions.

I wonder what China, France, the U.K., and Germany think?

P5+1+S-300 = ?

posted on Apr, 13 2015 @ 07:30 PM
link   
All the "what!!? No no no. Impossible. No country could possibly defeat the mighty USA." will be here soon.

posted on Apr, 13 2015 @ 07:42 PM
link   
I believe Russia has already completed the S-400 now (which are not in the deal). So this isn't as much of a game changer as some would have us believe. Iran & Russia first signed the deal for the S-300s back in 2008. So I'd guess Israel & the West have many ways to defeat them now.

posted on Apr, 13 2015 @ 07:43 PM
link   
Iran should buy some. Just expensive targets. Make a decent shelter till you turn them on. Then BOOM!
Not sure how many we have but we tested converted f-16's that fly without humans as SEAD UAV's. They fly in and get the radars to light them up then fire HARMS which then kill the Radar of the missiles systems even if the pilotless F-16 is taken out the HARMS find their way. Russia and Iran cant keep up.

AGM-88 HARM

In 2013 President Obama offered the AGM-88 to Israel for the first time

The newest upgrade, the AGM-88E Advanced Anti-Radiation Guided Missile (AARGM), features the latest software, enhanced capabilities intended to counter radar shutdown and passive radar using an additional active millimeter wave seeker. It was released in November 2010 and is a joint venture by the US Department of Defense and the Italian Ministry of Defense and is produced by Alliant Techsystems.

edit on 13-4-2015 by Xeven because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 13 2015 @ 07:44 PM
link   
a reply to: Willtell

The S300 is a good system, but not nearly as dangerous as newer systems. It's more of a threat to older 4th generation aircraft, not so much 4.5 and above.

posted on Apr, 13 2015 @ 07:47 PM
link   
Looks like Iran is going to be Russia's b**ch for real. This puts Iran on a level of rhetoric even higher than North Korea. We will need our own defense system to shield us from the rhetoric now.

Deal with Iran...off the table..hasn't been signed yet.

posted on Apr, 13 2015 @ 07:53 PM
link   
S-300/400 not invincible defense it turns out

Flying below its radar detection height is also one of its weaknesses.

posted on Apr, 13 2015 @ 07:56 PM
link   
If these missile systems worked as well as the manufacturers say they worked, there would not be a plane left in the sky.

posted on Apr, 13 2015 @ 07:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: AreUKiddingMe
Looks like Iran is going to be Russia's b**ch for real. This puts Iran on a level of rhetoric even higher than North Korea. We will need our own defense system to shield us from the rhetoric now.

That doesn't even make sense. The original deal was signed in 2007 according to this article. Iran's survived this long without the S-300s, so why would they suddenly become dependent on Russia? In fact, Iran sued Russia in international court over Russia's breach of contract. So if anything, Russia's doing this to settle the lawsuit against themselves (I think it was a $4 billion lawsuit but too lazy to look it up).

Also, the S-300s are purely defensive. So that's like saying we need to built a missile defense system to guard ourselves against a fence LOL
edit on 13-4-2015 by enlightenedservant because: updated. The original deal was signed in 2007 not 2008, according to RT News

posted on Apr, 13 2015 @ 07:58 PM
link   
SEAD. standing for Suppression of Enemy Air Defenses. you bomb missile and/or shell the hell out of missile, radar, C3I nodes and power generation to include portable military generators prior to engaging with more vulnerable assets.

edit on 13-4-2015 by stormbringer1701 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 13 2015 @ 08:01 PM
link   
Ridiculous. Iran isn't huge, we have the information on locations before even going in our unmanned craft numbers are enormous, how many would you think Iran is getting, 20,000 locations? Because that's how many drones we have.

Minor obstacle.

and...

Iran will go with the treaty anyway, why wouldn't they?

You expect them to wake up in the Am and say "hey screw the emp bombs, forget the robot army no one cares how many we destroy, who cares that the us can field so many kinds of attacks to a point of overkill we can never shoot enough down to survive and that even if we succeed a single Nuke in Tehran if we piss them off would end our civilization...screw all that, we have these new rockets"

It's at best a small hedge of hesitation for us, all Americans need to see is a realistic number of dead US pilots to forget if we ever should have attacked in the first place, as far as the populace being behind a war goes it's in our favor if there is a war in which pilots get shot down, we couldn't even use that In Iraq for public opinion because we probably lost a lot to friendly fire not the Iraqis so much.

This is "mount a good defense Iran we need this to look good"

posted on Apr, 13 2015 @ 08:18 PM
link   
It takes years to prepare for defense. What you're seeing here is the precursor to events which will likely unfold during the next U.S. Administration. This 'investment' has to be hard on Iran's economy ... and that might be the limit of the plan. We should be so lucky.

If you go back and follow the money, both sides of the developing campaign are being financed by the House of Saud. Looks like a Green Light to me. Just gotta wait 'til Obama fades from the scene.

posted on Apr, 13 2015 @ 08:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: enlightenedservant

That doesn't even make sense. The original deal was signed in 2007 according to this article. Iran's survived this long without the S-300s, so why would they suddenly become dependent on Russia? In fact, Iran sued Russia in international court over Russia's breach of contract. So if anything, Russia's doing this to settle the lawsuit against themselves (I think it was a $4 billion lawsuit but too lazy to look it up).

Also, the S-300s are purely defensive. So that's like saying we need to built a missile defense system to guard ourselves against a fence LOL

No it doesn't make sense if you're used to quoting RT news, granted.

posted on Apr, 13 2015 @ 08:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: enlightenedservant

No it doesn't make sense if you're used to quoting RT news, granted.

Wow that's a great argument. Of course the Russians would know when they signed a deal with Iran.

So please, with your more credible sources, can you tell me when Iran & Russia originally signed their deal for the S-300s? I originally thought it was 2008 but the article I linked says 2007. Either way, it was signed before the Obama Administration even came to power. Then it was suspended in 2010. The S-300 is a previous generation weapons system & the West already has ways around it. So what's your point?

posted on Apr, 13 2015 @ 08:30 PM
link   
a reply to: enlightenedservant

Actually it's two generations old now. So even older in the EW field.

posted on Apr, 13 2015 @ 08:36 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

Thanks. I didn't know that. Also, I read some months ago that Iran was working on its own missile defense shield. So I'm wondering just how much they'll even need the S-300s.

posted on Apr, 13 2015 @ 08:41 PM
link   
a reply to: Willtell

Sure wish I would've read the thread before I posted the previous statement.
edit on 13-4-2015 by Greathouse because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join