It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UK one of world's least religious countries

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 13 2015 @ 11:03 AM
link   

originally posted by: boymonkey74
a reply to: Ancient Champion

Yes If you ask really nice we may allow you to become one again....
On second thought no...we will not.

South Carolina sent envoys out to ask to rejoin just after the siege of Fort Sumpter

We told to to go take a hike and that they made there bed

posted on Apr, 13 2015 @ 11:03 AM
link   
a reply to: Ancient Champion

Yeah they all get jelly of us.
Look where we are for such a tiny speck on the map.
As Tony says Weerrrreeee GREAT Britain.

posted on Apr, 13 2015 @ 11:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: crazyewok

originally posted by: Ancient Champion

originally posted by: crazyewok

originally posted by: Ancient Champion
a reply to: crazyewok

It's nice to see the UK filled with so much hate. So evolved.

Hate?

Just pointing out half your congress are Fing nuts!

Most importantly why do you care about the US so much? All I ever see you talking about is the US.

1)Because US heavily influences UK foreign policy

2) Because ATS has a heavy US membership and as such most topics are on the USA

Isn't our fault your leaders can't think for themselves. What's more Fing nuts is your royalty involved in a child sex case.

posted on Apr, 13 2015 @ 11:06 AM
link   
Anyhow Easter sunday service I took one of my dudes to the church because he likes to draw church windows and drink the wine.
10 people in....I was the youngest at 40.
Religion didn't used to be a choice now it is and now people look and find other ways to fill the spirit.

posted on Apr, 13 2015 @ 11:09 AM
link   
Bush did sell the Iraq war as a religious thing, remember his speech to the French premiere of Gog and Magog.

Religious nuts are running amok in our Congress, with all that is going on in the world, they somehow make petty religious gripes the top priority for legislation.

posted on Apr, 13 2015 @ 11:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: Blackmarketeer
Bush did sell the Iraq war as a religious thing, remember his speech to the French premiere of Gog and Magog.

Religious nuts are running amok in our Congress, with all that is going on in the world, they somehow make petty religious gripes the top priority for legislation.

Na here Blair just came out with some BS that Iraq was on the verge of dropping WMD;s on London and when we didn't buy it just basically said # you to the British public and started the war anyway.
edit on 13-4-2015 by crazyewok because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 13 2015 @ 11:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: Blackmarketeer

Don't worry I'm sure Obama will ruin this country better then Bush.

posted on Apr, 13 2015 @ 11:18 AM
link   
a reply to: theabsolutetruth

Well then we'll have to agree to disagree, because being religious has everything to do with believing in God. If God was removed from the equation we wouldn't have religion,only a philosophy.

posted on Apr, 13 2015 @ 12:38 PM
link   
a reply to: AngryCymraeg

Can't say I'm too surprised if the poll reflects the situation in the UK. I don't actually know anyone in my social or professional circles who I'm aware believes in any gods, or attends any places of worship, and everyone I've had the conversation with over the last decade or so has told me they don't believe in any gods.
There's a 200 year old church in my street and I see 10 to 20 pensioners going in every Sunday, how they can afford to keep that place running I have no idea. Multiple churches have closed in my area over the last decade and turned converted into housing.

On a side note though, every time I've been in court (defendant and/or witness) I have always taken the religious oath instead of the atheist affirmation. Call me paranoid, but an atheist judge in my opinion is less likely to be influenced by thinking I'm a Christian, than a rabid Christian judge who might hate atheists. I've not enjoyed telling that lie, but the risk of a full on Christian judge or magistrate being influenced by my lack of belief is something I will never take lightly when the consequences could potentially be so serious.

posted on Apr, 13 2015 @ 12:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: AngryCymraeg
A new survey has indicated that the UK is one of the least religious countries in the world - here. Speaking as a Brit I find the results interesting and frankly rather reassuring. We don't really do religion here - or at least not in public.

Whovianism is being classified by some as a religion. A religion I would consider myself a part of.

posted on Apr, 13 2015 @ 01:15 PM
link   
Wow, two posts and banned lol, that's the fastest I've seen!
...and on topic "Whovianism" in the traditional sense of religion??! hahaha absolutely ridiculous! No more or less amusing to me though than any other religion, from the Abrahamic to Zoroastrianism, and everything in between.

posted on Apr, 13 2015 @ 01:23 PM
link   
Glad to see my country is mostly sane.

Just change the name of 'religions' to 'cults', and let them fade into obscurity. It's time. Religions have held mankind back for long enough.

posted on Apr, 13 2015 @ 01:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: SensiblyReckless
Glad to see my country is mostly sane.
The UK seems to be getting more rational over the years I've been alive.
Last two funerals I went to were both people who had no faith, non-religious/spiritual songs, poems and speeches. Really lovely celebrations of their lives in a shared setting by all who felt the loss. Both lovely people who were kind and loving not because of fear of any god's wrath, just because it's the best way for us all to live together.

...now if we can get rid of Church of England Bishops having an automatic right to sit and vote in the House of Lords (as well as complete overhaul of the second chamber) then we really will be getting there.

posted on Apr, 13 2015 @ 01:36 PM
link   
I'm from the UK, do I believe in God? Yes.

Do I believe God to be what man has portrayed through religion....not really.

I think there is some truth some the bible, even if it's explained through science rather than interpretation at the time, for example Sodom and Gomorrah has been explained to possibly have been a comet or meteor....or the parting of the red sea could have been down to an earthquake...etc etc.

I am a believer in science, and I do think evolution did play a part in the beginnings of hominids, but there are so many unanswered questions. Can we really say with 100% accuracy what part evolution played in creating mans consciousness?

Can we really say for certain that there isn't life after death, despite overwhelming evidence to the contrary? (depending upon how you define evidence).

Even if God/the creator turned out to be ET, I do think we had help getting to where we are now.
edit on 13/4/15 by woogleuk because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 13 2015 @ 01:42 PM
link   
a reply to: woogleuk

I'm with you on this.

IMO, it's a good thing to keep an open mind about the origins of life, but it's really, really bad to live your life by man made religions. They've been twisted and rewritten many times over. They're control mechanisms and they're full of hatred.

posted on Apr, 13 2015 @ 01:45 PM
link   
a reply to: grainofsand

Hell yes. Keep them Bishops out of things

posted on Apr, 13 2015 @ 01:48 PM
link   
a reply to: SensiblyReckless

Oh I wouldn't agree that at grassroots level there is hatred in the average church. Yes we can all think of the Jihadist Muslims or those horrible folk in Westboro Baptist chuch, but even as an agnostic atheist I will absolutely defend a few local evangelicals in my area who perform outstanding outreach, welfare and charitable work for local people.
I'm undecided if their wish to convert is the motivation or true altruism, probably a mixture of both, but I would say certainly their work is based of love, not hate, and regardless of my lack of belief I totally respect the good work of those believers.

posted on Apr, 13 2015 @ 02:02 PM
link   
a reply to: grainofsand

I'm with you

I don't see hatred at grassroots level, but there is the exception of a few followers who hate anyone with different beliefs, or gay people, ect.

I've seen the church out feeding the homeless and stuff. I respect that very much.

posted on Apr, 13 2015 @ 02:16 PM
link   
a reply to: crazyewok

I wanted to say I agree with ya on the whole religious thing, that typically those folks are what I call red faced zealots. But with,that said it just needs to be reminded , as they say repetition strengthens and confirms. America is better.

posted on Apr, 13 2015 @ 02:23 PM
link   
a reply to: SensiblyReckless

There is still discrimination unfortunatley though.
There is an inter-faith CRB checked outreach welfare service I offered to volunteer a couple of years ago, due to my skills and knowledge (and compassion) in my previous career life working in welfare for local government and Civil Service, but their rules require a referral from a recognised faith group.
I told them that I couldn't provide that but I have excellent directly transferable skills and a strong network of folk I can call favours in at relevant government & local authority departments, but their answer was no.

I wasn't told that my lack of faith excluded me, but the reality was they lost out on me because I am not a member of any recognised faith group to be referred by.
It still makes me disappointed every time I'm reminded when I'm doing a bit of my own freelance outreach work on my way home late at night or whatever. I wonder how many people I could have better helped with the resources of that interfaith group at my disposal.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join