It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

We live in a Simulated Reality

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 13 2015 @ 11:35 AM
link   

It's all about LOVE, just LOVE.

If our universe is about 'just love', then it has become broken.

posted on Apr, 13 2015 @ 11:38 AM
link   

Well, if this is a simulated reality, it is very real. When you stub your toe it hurts like hell. No matter how you believe it doesn't hurt, it still hurts.

The point of a simulation is that it provides the same. That's why it would be difficult to know.

posted on Apr, 13 2015 @ 11:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: Belcastro
.... What they did was use their advanced entertainment and programming technology to create "Other worlds" or "Realities" where newborn minds connect to through an advanced neuroscience understanding and Mastery of the knowledge of how the brain projects and percieves the Universe around it through the five senses. Everyone except for the wealthiest, most elite people in the True reality get to exist outside of the grand illusion.......

So where do these "newborn minds" originate from? If the real world was overcrowded, why allow people to procreate, creating a need for "other worlds or Realities" in the first place? There would seem to be much simpler solutions to this problem.
That is one reason I reject the whole simulated reality scenario.

posted on Apr, 13 2015 @ 01:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: everyone
a reply to: JUhrman

The theory has no conclusion at all

Exactly. As I'm saying it's all speculation, and there's a lot of misunderstanding around it. We require more definition here. Philosophy has already explored the idea for age that the reality we experience is only "created" or "simulated" by our senses.

This is completely different from saying this simulation is a creation from an external agent, with a purpose, like some people seem to imply when they make the comparion with computer program like "the sims".

All I've been saying is that the subject is often over-simplified and riddled with pseudo-science. And that's coming from someone who doesn't reject spirituality.

posted on Apr, 13 2015 @ 05:13 PM
link   
Given what humans actually know about reality I don't see how we could know, one way or the other. Both are just speculation.

posted on Apr, 13 2015 @ 05:25 PM
link   

If our universe is about 'just love', then it has become broken.
a reply to: roadgravel

You're right, but I think it's our immediate region of the universe that needs more LOVE than most.

posted on Apr, 14 2015 @ 09:05 PM
link   
Yup... ALL the new physics of the past 100 years have been pointing a big fat finger at this universe we're in being a simulation... a very, very detailed simulation where we can feel stuff , etc, but the fact is fuzzes out when not observed is a big old clue.

A recent post about a lecture at Google where he worked out two possibilities for this universe as it is... either every event at a quantum level where it can go either way spawns an entire, separate universe... and every little quantum event in every spawned universe creates a new universe, too (making for a really large number of universes exponentially spawning every moment across an ever expanding number of universes... the 'multiverse') OR the universe we exist in is not "real" in the traditional sense we all ascribe to "reality."

It is not very astounding to some folks... it would explain much weirdness and much observable science.

We're (very likely) in a really realistic simulation... but just enough fuzz to let us figure it out... or the tech projecting us has room to improve.

It changes not too much for us... but knowing we're in some designed environment is pretty thought provoking. Religious folks thought this all along, except they replaced the head technician with God.

Now, are we sentient beings simulations, too? Or are we "real" way out there and just injected here and "playing the game?" Either way is possible.

And then there's the simulation within simulation within simulation mathematical likelihood... heh, looks like that guy who took chemicals in high school and freaked out saying "It's all fake..." was correct.

Interesting times we are entering.

posted on Apr, 14 2015 @ 10:06 PM
link   
Another awesome and lesser known movie in the 'same vein' before The Matrix is Existenze by David Cronenberg.

posted on Apr, 14 2015 @ 10:09 PM
link   
a reply to: Belcastro

Holy crap sir /maam

I was writing a thread on this right now! I ended up having to change a diaper and just decided to think about it more.

I am reserving this post to be edited in a bit. I will add my thoughts on it. I cant even express this properly. You even used some of the same wording I was thinking of. This is insane.

BRB
edit on 4 14 2015 by tadaman because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 14 2015 @ 10:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sparky63

originally posted by: Belcastro
.... What they did was use their advanced entertainment and programming technology to create "Other worlds" or "Realities" where newborn minds connect to through an advanced neuroscience understanding and Mastery of the knowledge of how the brain projects and percieves the Universe around it through the five senses. Everyone except for the wealthiest, most elite people in the True reality get to exist outside of the grand illusion.......

So where do these "newborn minds" originate from? If the real world was overcrowded, why allow people to procreate, creating a need for "other worlds or Realities" in the first place? There would seem to be much simpler solutions to this problem.
That is one reason I reject the whole simulated reality scenario.

New born minds, ? have a good look at the Bio Sphere, how many sentient, thinking, planning, beings, are around us. All of these have consciousness processes just the same as ours . The only difference is that they are as stuck in their biological niche as we humans are in ours. If a monkey's consciousness found itself in a human body, it would become human .First time round the individual might be a bit hairy, and scratch a bit. Or a dolphin consciousness becoming human would make a great swimmer, and like fish, you know its true.That's where they come from. Whole subsections of human society look Simian for a reason . Other subsections are aquatic. Some are Sheep and easily led , some are predatory and end up as Cops etc. etc. etc.

posted on Apr, 14 2015 @ 10:30 PM
link   

There are lots of threads on this subject - and I enjoy every one of them. Keep the good times rolling, more please.

posted on Apr, 15 2015 @ 02:25 AM
link   

Except you can lucid dream and realize your dreaming, and that is what Enlightenment really means in this reality.

They asked, being very perplexed. Buddha simply replied: "I am awake." Buddha means “the awakened one.” How to awaken is all he taught

..decent enough thread

even as a bible-believing whackjob i can appreciate the concept of a greater reality behind this one..

posted on Apr, 15 2015 @ 12:29 PM
link   

What is more real than real? everything that we experience is part of something bigger but we might never know the nature of reality, so the red pill is pretty much a placebo at this point.

posted on Apr, 15 2015 @ 12:35 PM
link   
Surely if humans had the technology to create such an elaborate and advanced hologram, we'd all be living in a perfect utopia with no wars, no poverty, no natural disasters, no disease, etc.... Why create such a depressing and volatile environment?

posted on Apr, 15 2015 @ 12:43 PM
link   
So how are we fed? how is the waste disposed of? who write all the billions of computer programs? climate program writers cannot write programs for clouds,(according to Judith Curry) so how do 'they' manage it?
Every tree its own program, bird, dog, cat, cow, horse, fly, fish, whale, human, chimp, snowflake, car, truck, aircraft,clothing, shoes, bullet, bomb, rifle, grenade, submarine, tank, helmet, knife, fork, spoon, carpet, rug, chair, table, cup, wine glass, damn big computer needed for that lot!
I wonder how many man years it took to write your local walmart?

posted on Apr, 15 2015 @ 01:13 PM
link   
Would this 'other dimensions' 'multiverse' virtual reality have a author? Who might that be ? And is this phenomenon localized to just our solar system ? Could there be many realities and many authors, perhaps even one or more chief authors. When you die, are you then 'freed up memory', or are you aware as an entity ? Why the symbiosis ?

I choose to think of everything in this right now, today, what I get done, the date, you know, what makes real real..

I always wondered what real was. Typically real..... makes you sweat...... and face tasks you just can't think into some other multiverse. It's that thing that is going to occupy your 'now' the now your reading this in.

Virtual reality's just too short............

posted on Apr, 15 2015 @ 01:33 PM
link   
Right. Because who wouldn't want a fake reality complete with childhood cancer, AIDS, poverty, inequity, guilt, rage, etc., etc. Nah, life is real. Deal with it and stop thinking The Matrix was a documentary, lol. . .

posted on Apr, 15 2015 @ 01:54 PM
link   
Everything in our world composes down to a dot just like computer generated video. What if we are a lab eperiment in some university on a super computer 50 thousand years from now set back in this time where they can simulate the human brain in software AND billions of Earth years to us is one semester to the creator. To prove this you could try and turn around real quick before the video card can redraw what is behind you.

edit on 15-4-2015 by LA1IMPALA because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 15 2015 @ 03:32 PM
link   

Know that the life of the world is only play, and idle talk, and pageantry, and boasting among you, and rivalry in respect of wealth and children; as the likeness of vegetation after rain, whereof the growth is pleasing to the husbandman, but afterward it drieth up and thou seest it turning yellow, then it becometh straw. And in the Hereafter there is grievous punishment, and (also) forgiveness from Allah and His good pleasure,whereas the life of the world is but matter of illusion.. - Quran, surah 57

posted on Apr, 15 2015 @ 05:17 PM
link   

Cool story, have any evidence or just a story with the quality of a rejected sci fi movie?

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join