It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Two Minutes Hate and Media Manipulation

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 12 2015 @ 06:43 PM
link   
The internet - last bastion of "sanity" in an otherwise insane, immoral, intolerant and unjust world....the infinite labyrinth and the Voice of the People....the final frontier of all things - good and bad - having to do with the human condition.

For those not familiar with the concept proposed in George Orwell's infamous work 1984:

The purpose of the Two Minutes Hate is said to satisfy the citizens' subdued feelings of angst and hatred from leading such a wretched, controlled existence.

How's my Two Minute Hate been panning out?

To be honest, it's been a mixed bag of emotions and sideline observation.

I find it rather ironic, that the majority of well read and informed members of the collective are pretty much aware that the relentless Media Machine is little more than an outpost for entertainment and diversion, even when it's reporting on "current trends and topics".

But we continue to subscribe to the madness online - because there's not simply much left to do, or else we are bound by finances and circumstance to the point where our online activities are really the only hope of social interaction some of us have available to us.

If this prior sentence does not describe you or your situation, congratulations. Please remember not all of us are as fortunate to have such luxuries readily available.

Meanwhile, I feel like I'm watching the majority of rational thought float down the memory hole in favor of opinionated pandering and vocal minorities....though to be completely fair, we're probably having everything we say and do being logged for the 'Final End of Days Judgment' anyway, so maybe this isn't altogether a bad thing if we really sit back and think about it.

(Yes, that last bit was a hypothetical and pure speculation, but bear with my paranoid fantasies for a while longer....after all, it's not like we have anything better to do.)

Now, don't get me wrong...I'm certainly not saying I'm completely immune to taking the occasional opinionated pot-shot on a topic that catches my fancy, but I am somewhat surprised by how many of participants are willing to spend amazing amounts of time dissecting and nit-picking the minutia of anything modern media feels like spewing out at us these days.

Reading the comment sections on off-site venues has really emphasized how many people are extremely invested in this process, whether knowingly or unknowingly, by recreational choice or deeply held moral conviction.

I shudder to think of the younger generations growing up in this digital age who think that this type of "recreational avenue" is actually going to do more good than damage in the long run.

Online hostilities are already beginning to bleed over into real-life avenues with faster and more coordinated efforts than ever before, and are frequently making headlines everywhere we turn.

Is it too far a theoretical stretch to imagine that online activities and in-fighting are slowly brainwashing a portion of the general populace into latent subconscious hostilities and resentments against their fellow men and women out on the street?

Is this a planned eventuality?

Is there any hope for any of us left when we spend all day in-fighting online to the amusement of those who monitor and data-mine our reactions to social news stimulus?

Maybe it's just my "old fart" perspective taking over, but it still strikes me somewhat funny that generations of internet news consumers who love to point out "Big Brother" being manifested around us 24/7 via the Surveillance State continue to participate in the most rudimentary practice of the Orwellian Slave State.

Whoever set this whole experiment up sure knew what they were doing, eh?

PROVIDE STIMULUS
RECORD RESPONSE
CREATE ADDITIONAL STIMULUS BASED ON RESPONSE
MODIFY AS NEEDED

LATHER RINSE REPEAT

Wait for Critical Mass to ensue, broadcast ensuing chaos on every media outlet available, recycle and profit.

So...just curious....how have you been enjoying the Two Minute Hate?

I certainly know what I'll be up too soon enough.

edit on 4/12/15 by GENERAL EYES because: minor formatting for clarity

posted on Apr, 12 2015 @ 06:51 PM
link   
a reply to: GENERAL EYES

You. I have a question for you.
How come you realized just "NOW" that youve been following that totally nonesense crap?
I guess you deserve to throw a whole day hate than 2 mins to that person! *GRINS*

And by the way, your observations are yours, you're free to keep it or express it. The world wont stop with your anger anyway Or anybody's claims or lies.

posted on Apr, 12 2015 @ 07:06 PM
link   
a reply to: PiaPie

If you really think just because I choose this time/space to share this thread and "just woke up" you are still so far down the rabbit hole you still can't see daylight, my dear. It's a lot like SETI online these past two decades, but that's just how the cookie crumbles. Ah, the joys and arrogance of youth and the youthful minded.

I see you are clearly enjoying your two minutes hate.

Carry on.

posted on Apr, 12 2015 @ 07:22 PM
link   

Youre wrong.
And I don't think I need to explain myself.
If you understand it correctly then your thought process and translation to words is not aligned.
I suggest you do some rethinking. or not. it is up to you.
At the end of the day, its your thoughts not mine .

posted on Apr, 12 2015 @ 07:26 PM
link   
Hmmm.
Interesting.

I am suddenly starting to come to the conclusion that the modern internet was not made to control, manipulate or subvert the older demographics....but rather as a precautionary control measure to keep the wild and dangerous illogical youth of the future at bay.

Television simply wasn't as "interactive" enough.

posted on Apr, 12 2015 @ 07:29 PM
link   

That poster just replied to you on a different account…… Apparently they are using a puppet account and didn't realize that they were replying to you under the different one

Anyways great post

edit on 4/12/2015 by ManBehindTheMask because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 12 2015 @ 07:31 PM
link   
a reply to: PiaPie

you cry over spilt milk.

try cheese.

posted on Apr, 12 2015 @ 07:33 PM
link   

posted on Apr, 12 2015 @ 07:38 PM
link   
a reply to: ManBehindTheMask

Thanks MBTM, I didn't really notice if it was the same poster on different accounts....though it's kind of a moot point.

If my observations have any merit, it's almost as if they're cranking out five different stock mentalities and contributors en masse these days when they roll the new batches off the automated assembly lines.

Makes sense, actually - seeing as how it keeps the social hive intact with a surplus of interchangeable parts...especially considering how the "hot new merchandise" seems to break so quickly with such a minor amount of cerebral use.

Alphas, Betas, Deltas, Gammas and a surplus of Epsilon Semi-Morons.

So it goes.

edit on 4/12/15 by GENERAL EYES because: never let a good snark go to waste....

posted on Apr, 12 2015 @ 07:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: GENERAL EYES

Thanks MBTM, I didn't really notice if it was the same poster on different accounts....though it's kind of a moot point.

If my observations have any merit, it's almost as if they're cranking out five different stock mentalities and contributors en masse these days when they roll the new batches off the automated assembly lines.

Makes sense, actually - seeing as how it keeps the social hive intact with a surplus of interchangeable parts.

Especially considering how the "hot new merchandise" seems to break so quickly with such a minor amount of cerebral use.

Alphas, Betas, Deltas, Gammas and a surplus of Epsilon Semi-Morons.

So it goes.

Your "observations" have no merit, sorry.

posted on Apr, 12 2015 @ 07:42 PM
link   

Television simply wasn't as "interactive" enough.

Damn straight!!!!

And for the government that's handier than a pocket on a T-shirt.

posted on Apr, 12 2015 @ 07:46 PM
link   
I knew I should have written my Masters thesis back in high-school on the "Merits of Dumbing Down the General Populace".

Just think, I'd have a phD right now and be making millions off books and running the talk-show circuit. Not to mention a veritable wealth of scholastic job offers and employment opportunities in the marketing and entertainment divisions.

Seriously.

Laughing so hard right now it's absolutely impossible to hate.

edit on 4/12/15 by GENERAL EYES because: shot milk out my nose...accidentally hit post too early

posted on Apr, 12 2015 @ 07:51 PM
link   
Applause with Standing Ovation!

It looks like this runaway wheel won't stop turning until there is absolute disdain, and everybody is completely saturated in intolerance for

"The Other."

Kinda makes you nauseous if you think about it.
edit on 4/12/2015 by ladyinwaiting because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 12 2015 @ 07:58 PM
link   
a reply to: ladyinwaiting

Maybe there is something in the water they aren't telling us about!

Or else this is just the first wave of the "invasion".

Kids today...all grown up with nothing interesting to offer?
FILM AT ELEVEN!

edit on 4/12/15 by GENERAL EYES because: more snark - because, ya know...free time and all.

posted on Apr, 12 2015 @ 08:17 PM
link   

I don't know, I've heard some pretty good sense come out of the Millennials. It's the rest of us I'm concerned about............

edit on 4/12/2015 by ladyinwaiting because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 12 2015 @ 08:46 PM
link   
a reply to: ladyinwaiting

Please don't misunderstand, I am not trying to imply that there aren't good kids out there. Most of my friendships around town locally are fraught with some of the better examples of the Millennial Generation.

As a staunch and somewhat stoic holdover from Generation X, it's part of my nature to initiate the youth into the coming-of-age battle between apathy and cynical dismissal into the ranks of productive and contributing members of society.

It warms my heart to see the torch is still being carried forward by some brighter members of the younger generations who rightly feel overwhelmed by the overabundance of problems and issues regurgitated upon the youth by prior generations. I'm still a little bitter myself about the whole "inheritance issue" of that debacle but I try not to let it consume me beyond all hope of sanity.

Compromise is the key - learning to listen and share ideas and solutions without succumbing to the inevitable infighting and endless bickering that seems to plague almost every discussion platform out there these days.

I suppose the most disheartening thing is watching so many members of the general populace fall into the same patterns of diversionary and go-nowhere diatribes that - after enough repetition of personal opinions and perspectives - everyone involved leans so deeply into intolerant bickering and competitive one-up-manship that any constructive or far reaching solution becomes completely lost in the ensuing quagmires of discontent.

When all else fails, at least those types will always still have "The Man" to collectively point a finger at for their social woes and troubles.

Sad indeed that it's one of the few things left anyone can agree upon.....aside from their own self-professed "superior moralities", of course.

Another day, another dollar.

So it has gone, and so it will go....ad infinum...ad nausea.

Just thought this thread would be a nice informal way to open up dialogue for those of us out there - irrespective of age - who are just more than a little bored of the seemingly endless back and forth banter of hate and intolerance going on out there.

I suppose we'll see.

posted on Apr, 12 2015 @ 08:52 PM
link   

That was a good catch on your part and I'm really interested on what their excuse is going to be if any. I was just about to bail on this thread when you pointed it out and now I'm stuck waiting to see where it goes.

posted on Apr, 12 2015 @ 08:57 PM
link   

No no, I completely agree with all the points you've made. Can't tell you how many times I've had the same thoughts.

It's seems like intellectual toxicity is contagious. Sometimes I feel like washing my hands of it. "Unplugging" as they say, to maintain on my own sense of balance.

You've created a masterful sound-off board here. Hope people pay attention.

posted on Apr, 12 2015 @ 09:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: ladyinwaiting

It's seems like intellectual toxicity is contagious. Sometimes I feel like washing my hands of it. "Unplugging" as they say, to maintain on my own sense of balance.

Maybe that is part of the underlying architecture now within the information age. Obviously the internet is the physical structure which now allows information to spread across the globe at near light speed. Even in very remote areas. Perhaps the non-physical part is also part of the design allowing harmful memes spread faster and faster infecting more and more minds.

Just like in the past, technology has been in step in spreading Biological Genes to new hosts by way of ship and plane the same is happening now but at the information level. With us being so connected we are now under assault from the spread of dangerous memes to many more hosts than before. As these dangerous ideas infect others we will see more and more of the populous showing signs of being infected.

posted on Apr, 12 2015 @ 09:37 PM
link   

top topics

<<   2 >>

join