It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What is This Crazy Text Message I See Before Me?!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 11 2015 @ 01:09 PM
link   
Well hello there, wouldn't normally post something like this, but I am truly baffled and looking for help.

Just received a text message, from...I don't know who, it only says "New Message".

It is apparently a photo text, but all it supplied was a web address.

Being a safety first kind of girl, I sent the web link to my email and opened it on my puter, rather than my phone, as it came up with a warning, that it might dammage my phone if I open it.

The website address linked in the text is.....

sn.im...
(please don't click as I cannot verify the source.)

The link takes you to Video Stripe, where it proceeds to tell me I can't watch the content without sign up.

So, folks, has anyone else had this happen to them?

Is there a way to track who sent this to me?

Can I stop them sending this to me?

I have opened the link on my puter and my anti-virus hasn't picked anything up, but that doesn't mean it's safe, so please don't click, I only put the link up as a reference point...if you are stupid enough to click it like me, then I relinquish any responsibility to your actions.

Look forward to your thoughts

edit on 11-4-2015 by solargeddon because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 11 2015 @ 01:12 PM
link   
Its probably just a come on sales pitch. Got you going didn't it.

Do you buy boxes of cereal that say, Free cruise… (details inside).

posted on Apr, 11 2015 @ 01:15 PM
link   
I'm a bit long in the tooth but I think this is called phishing. Open nothing, answer nothing if YOU can't remember if you instigated the contact.

posted on Apr, 11 2015 @ 01:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: intrptr
Its probably just a come on sales pitch. Got you going didn't it.

Do you buy boxes of cereal that say, Free cruise… (details inside).

Regulary!

Lol...seriously though, not much of a sales pitch, if I don't know what I am buying.

posted on Apr, 11 2015 @ 01:33 PM
link   
a reply to: solargeddon

not much of a sales pitch, if I don't know what I am buying.

Carrot dangled. "Details inside".

posted on Apr, 11 2015 @ 02:01 PM
link   
Delete and run !

posted on Apr, 11 2015 @ 04:17 PM
link   

Well unfortunately for them, I don't fancy eating their carrot, which is why, I'm not going to find out the detail inside.

I guess I will never know.

posted on Apr, 11 2015 @ 07:38 PM
link   
Well I am a little adventurous so I followed your link and it was to a movie preview. It did not go past the r rated preview screen without registering so I stopped there. Videostripe is a sharing site that apparently allows full length video on demand so either a viral campaign to advertise the service or someone you know may have sent you a link to watch a video.

posted on Apr, 11 2015 @ 10:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: solargeddon

Well unfortunately for them, I don't fancy eating their carrot, which is why, I'm not going to find out the detail inside.

I guess I will never know.

It'll be alright. I know what a pisser that is. When I was young they used to send me credit cards in the mail. Master card never got their hooks in me. Everyone I knew was in debt a couple years later. I received winning lotteries, sweepstakes, cruises, free appliances, seen it all before, They lay you to the hilt with come ons,

Now they are dong it on the Internet. Its just to get your money. When you want something go out and buy it, pay cash. You''ll live longer.

posted on Apr, 12 2015 @ 01:10 PM
link   
a reply to: DJMSN

Yeah, I was a little adventurous myself and browsed it online, was never going to sign up, what I don't understand is who sent me the text message to my mobile with the link, I am always so careful about who I give my mobile number out to, I guess those I entrusted haven't had the integrity to validate my trust.

posted on Apr, 12 2015 @ 01:58 PM
link   

Well it may have been unintentional on your part or someone else's. A lot of APPS when you do register requires the rights to every number you have in your phone which then allows them to send out this sort of stuff. So someone you know might have signed up for it or even another APP the company owns and then with access to their address list you were tagged...just one of those intrusive things with our technology today.

posted on Apr, 13 2015 @ 11:57 AM
link   
I should really report it, just not sure who to, come to think of it who would care.

top topics

join