It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Michael Slager Is Not Going to Prison for Killing Walter Scott: Here’s Why

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 10 2015 @ 08:06 PM
link   
LINK

All the conspiracy theorists who look for a case that will truly bring this social fabric to its knees, may have their case in the murder of Walter Scott in South Carolina by the policemen Micheal Slager when, according to this writer, who believes he wont be convicted, he is acquitted of murder by a South Carolina jury!

That would be devastating and likely make Ferguson seem like a tea party in comparison to the flaming street wars AND MASSIVE PROTESTS that will take place if this cop is acquitted!

t’s good he was arrested and charged with murder, but the Supreme Court made it hard to actually convict trigger-happy police officers.

There are two U.S. Supreme Court cases that articulate the bases upon which triers of fact must evaluate the propriety of the police’s use of force, in this case deadly force. Slager will almost certainly be tried before a jury in South Carolina, and this jury will be charged with making a determination as to Slager’s justification in the use of force using criteria articulated by the Supreme Court in Tennessee v. Garner (1985) and Graham v. Connor (1989).

Garner states that deadly force “may not be used unless necessary to prevent (an) escape and the officer has probable cause to believe that the suspect poses a significant threat of death or serious physical injury to the officer or others.” Scott was attempting to escape from Slager, and Slager’s attorney will no doubt attempt to convince the jury of Scott’s “dangerousness” and his intention to cause injury to Slager or some innocent person through some Machiavellian depiction of Scott’s criminal history and potential for violence. This latter challenge may prove vexing for defense counsel at Slager’s murder trial, but demonizing black men who meet a fateful end at the hands of a police officer in the United States has a demonstrable history of successful results—for the police.

The second relevant Supreme Court case is Graham v. Connor and it is here that Slager’s defense will likely prevail against the prosecution’s representation that Slager murdered Scott, since Graham gives wide latitude and the benefit of the doubt to the police in the use of force, particularly deadly force.

Least of all I fear If this scenario of the writer turns out to be true then this case can turn into another Rodney King case that caused massive riots.

There a video of numerous police beating King to almost death didn’t stop a mainly white Jury from acquitting the cops in that case. There were no blacks on that jury!

Amazing isn't it. I bet most people, INCLUDING ME, assumed this recent case in SC is an open and shut case but this writer believes that there will be an acquittal!

….And if that is the case this may be the case that literally tears this country apart
…and I bet a dime to a dollar that the case will be tried during the American presidential election season when it’s in its main period next year....

edit on 10-4-2015 by Willtell because: (no reason given)

edit on Fri Apr 10 2015 by DontTreadOnMe because: attempt to fix link

edit on Fri Apr 10 2015 by DontTreadOnMe because: trimmed long quote IMPORTANT: Using Content From Other Websites on ATS

posted on Apr, 10 2015 @ 08:17 PM
link   
I honestly don't think he'll get a murder conviction.

I don't see how he can be acquitted, though.

I think a manslaughter conviction is far more likely than either of those.

Then again, who knows what the prosecutor's office will do.

posted on Apr, 10 2015 @ 08:20 PM
link   
a reply to: Willtell

If this happens, the only way anything will really be accomplished is if they keep race out of it.

No more of the, it's a white black thing, it's a corrupt cop thing, period.

If it turns into another divided race thing, it won't get anywhere, because the only way this scenario with the police can be fought is with a united front.

It won't happen so long as one group insists on spitting on their allies.

United we stand, divided we fall. It's a simple concept that has been lost entirely by the american people these days. Our protest for human rights are terribly pathetic these days.

posted on Apr, 10 2015 @ 08:22 PM
link   

I hope the prosecutor is smart enough to offer the jury a Manslaughter charge to consider. If they don't, then it's clear the the prosecutor really has no intention of winning this case.

posted on Apr, 10 2015 @ 08:28 PM
link   

The Rodney King comparison doesn't hold up. Walter Scott did absolutely nothing up until the point his was murdered to suggest deadly force should be employed. The Rodney King video was sensationally edited - the Walter Scott video is unedited/unadulterated/uncut - and the jury in that case was afforded a little more leeway with their decision based on the entire video. The video of Walter Scott being murdered that the public has seen is exactly the video the jury will see - they will not be afforded any leeway with regards to their decision as it relates to the video.

It may not be an open-and-shut case but the video in this case is far more damaging and hasn't been diminished by sensational editing.

I agree that the Rodney King-style riots are possible but the state of South Carolina has less people than the metropolitan area of LA. Let's hope it doesn't come to that but if it does it'll likely be on a smaller scale than the South Central riots.

posted on Apr, 10 2015 @ 08:30 PM
link   
a reply to: windword

Absolutely agree with you. It kind of hinges on the prosecutor. If there are riots, what I want to see is militia standing next to folks protesting police abuse, and protecting private businesses like we saw in Ferguson.

posted on Apr, 10 2015 @ 08:34 PM
link   
If this cop gets off then the games all over we are in a police state, certified, codified and real

This is something you would see in NAZI Germany

A cop killing a man for running away.

Do we realize that the young man who took the video was ordered to stay put when the on scene cops found out he had a video,

The guy then ran away

With this reasoning those cops could have shot him too!

posted on Apr, 10 2015 @ 08:52 PM
link   

posted on Apr, 10 2015 @ 09:07 PM
link   

Will never even make it to a courtroom. They'll have to provide autopsy photos. Same reason why the cop wasn't charged in Ferguson.

posted on Apr, 10 2015 @ 09:14 PM
link   
a reply to: Bilk22

What do you think the autopsy photos will show that will keep this case out of the courtroom?

posted on Apr, 10 2015 @ 09:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: windword

What do you think the autopsy photos will show that will keep this case out of the courtroom?

No bullet holes?

posted on Apr, 10 2015 @ 09:31 PM
link   

If "they" manufactured this event, couldn't they also manufacture a body with bullet holes?

posted on Apr, 10 2015 @ 09:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: BeefNoMeat

I agree that the Rodney King-style riots are possible but the state of South Carolina has less people than the metropolitan area of LA. Let's hope it doesn't come to that but if it does it'll likely be on a smaller scale than the South Central riots.

I have to disagree with this thought in that the Ferguson situation actually went national to a certain degree. There were protest marches in several major cities across the nation related to that situation. Considering all of the attention to so many police malfeasance cases across the nation over the past few years, there is heightened attention directed toward these types of events and I'm afraid people are ready to get mad enough to riot and it wont just be in Carolina. It may just be nation wide. What might be the only thing to stop this is if the trial is postponed long enough for people to forget but I don't think that will even be sufficient if a not guilty verdict is rendered. Man, this police abuse crap is heating up and if they don't reign in their goons, all he11 is certain to eventually erupt.

But then again, that is exactly what TPTB are preparing for, isn't it?

posted on Apr, 10 2015 @ 09:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: windword

If "they" manufactured this event, couldn't they also manufacture a body with bullet holes?

Probably, but that might be a bit more involved. Maybe more involved than they'd like to get. Then the autopsy is open for discussion and subject to scrutiny by many even outside of the case.
edit on 15036Fridayk22 by Bilk22 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 10 2015 @ 09:36 PM
link   
Hard to see this old guy out clowning around in a little white Mercedes as a threat to anyone except the KFC drive thru.

That's how I see it.

posted on Apr, 10 2015 @ 09:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: Willtell
If this cop gets off then the games all over we are in a police state, certified, codified and real

This is something you would see in NAZI Germany

A cop killing a man for running away.

Do we realize that the young man who took the video was ordered to stay put when the on scene cops found out he had a video,

The guy then ran away

With this reasoning those cops could have shot him too!
Why didn't they shoot him?

posted on Apr, 10 2015 @ 09:42 PM
link   
Yep, I predict he will be acquitted too.

There are far too many people in the world who refuse to believe cops can do anything wrong.

Then there's another group who might understand it's illegal but are all for killing anyone who doesn't comply with authority. This group even posts here. They make comments like "don't run and you won't have to worry".

My guess is the cop is going to say he thought he was running with the taser and was afraid he was going to turn around or use the weapon on others.

It won't be society changing - a few Walmarts will be looted and a couple cars set on fire.

posted on Apr, 10 2015 @ 09:43 PM
link   
a reply to: CharlesT

I should have qualified that by saying a localized riot - in my mind I was comparing a downtown riot in Charleston, SC to a riot in South Central L.A. I do agree with you that the rioting could be nation-wide. An acquittal would be a global black-eye.

posted on Apr, 10 2015 @ 10:00 PM
link   
a reply to: BeefNoMeat

Only problem is that nothing is local any more. The Internet solved that problem. And that is why the Internet will eventually be regulated and censored by the gov.

posted on Apr, 10 2015 @ 10:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: Daughter2
Yep, I predict he will be acquitted too.

There are far too many people in the world who refuse to believe cops can do anything wrong.

Then there's another group who might understand it's illegal but are all for killing anyone who doesn't comply with authority. This group even posts here. They make comments like "don't run and you won't have to worry".

My guess is the cop is going to say he thought he was running with the taser and was afraid he was going to turn around or use the weapon on others.

It won't be society changing - a few Walmarts will be looted and a couple cars set on fire.

Well, don't run...

Should we have to worry about cops assaulting or killing us for petty traffic violations? No, but if you are that concerned over the state of police brutality then start a awareness campaign, or join a peaceful protest, etc.

The time to test the integrity of a police officer is not when they've pulled you over. Be polite, comply. Don't take a stand when you are in their domain. Drive away with a ticket, then fight back later, once you are safe. Call a lawyer, call the police chief, call your local news station.

But don't run, don't resist arrest, don't call the cop a pig.

It will just prove Darwin right once again. Survival of the fittest and all that jazz.

Be smart. It shouldn't be this way, but right now it is. Live to fight another day.
edit on 10-4-2015 by lambs to lions because: Add

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join