It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Young Woman Calmly And Eloquently Explains Why She's Not A Feminist.

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+2 more 
posted on Apr, 10 2015 @ 10:21 AM
link   
Just found this video and I happen to agree with her.
Where was my support network when I was battered by my wife?.....both wives that is.

Well said.
Oh and to add this is not a thread where you can just hate on women so please do not do so.

edit on 10-4-2015 by boymonkey74 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 10 2015 @ 10:34 AM
link   
a reply to: boymonkey74

Great explanation.

I feel for her. The hate-mongers will be all over her.

edit on 10-4-2015 by infolurker because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 10 2015 @ 10:41 AM
link   

That is a fantastic presentation of a well thought out point of view, on the part of the lady in the video. It is good that you have posted this here, because it will no doubt promote some interesting, and lively conversation on the topic.

Personally, I think the lady in question has the right take on this issue. Equality is not the same as inequality, and one cannot be achieved using the ideals and attitudes required to usher in an era of the other.

posted on Apr, 10 2015 @ 10:43 AM
link   
I absolutely agree with her on the issues. I think the word "feminism" is a misnomer, but I know what it means to me.

She's young. She wasn't around when the term came into being BECAUSE women were being oppressed. She's grown up in a country (I assume the US) where the "feminists" of the past have worked HARD to GAIN the equal rights and privileges she has today.

"Feminism" is actually an outdated term, but for those of us who were around during the feminism of the 60s-80s, it has a real meaning of GAINING equal treatment and MAKING our own roles in society, instead of accepting those "allowed" to us.

So, I absolutely get what she's saying and perhaps it would be better to call it "gender equality", which is what I believe feminism means. I know a lot of men who HATE so-called "feminists" with a passion (no shortage of them in this thread already), so it might calm them down a bit if we used a different term.

edit on 4/10/2015 by Benevolent Heretic because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 10 2015 @ 10:45 AM
link   
She forgot too add; I am not a feminist because I am not overweight and ugly.

edit on 10-4-2015 by hotel1 because: (no reason given)
and I have a sense of humour.

posted on Apr, 10 2015 @ 10:55 AM
link   
Oh, I thought we might actually take a cue from the young woman and have a discussion, instead of a anger-filled hate-fest peppered with stupid photoshopped pictures of women.

Nice thread, boymonkey (really), but I'm not in the mood to wade through the anger and hatred of yet another "we hate feminists" thread to find the tidbits of intelligent and meaningful discussion... Heaven forbid we should actually TALK about this... So, I'll take my leave before it gets any deeper. Good luck.
edit on 4/10/2015 by Benevolent Heretic because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 10 2015 @ 11:04 AM
link   
a reply to: Benevolent Heretic

BH...

Though it is very sad to say, I think anyone who saw this thread begin, knew that the sort of thing you are protesting about, was inevitably going to raise its head in this thread. In my opinion, getting it out of the way on page one is about the best we could hope for!

posted on Apr, 10 2015 @ 11:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: Benevolent Heretic
Oh, I thought we might actually take a cue from the young woman and have a discussion, instead of a anger-filled hate-fest peppered with stupid photoshopped pictures of women.

Nice thread, boymonkey (really), but I'm not in the mood to wade through the anger and hatred of yet another "we hate feminists" thread to find the tidbits of intelligent and meaningful discussion... Heaven forbid we should actually TALK about this... So, I'll take my leave before it gets any deeper. Good luck.

A massive star.

Because simply put, you said what I was thinking.

posted on Apr, 10 2015 @ 11:06 AM
link   
She's right, that's how it works if you don't think along the lines of the strictly delineated feminist groupthink you are a hater. You will then find out the true meaning of hate from the poison invective that will be fired your way.

posted on Apr, 10 2015 @ 11:07 AM
link   

One thing that did shock me was the prison terms for women doing the same crime as men is around half the time served.

posted on Apr, 10 2015 @ 11:11 AM
link   

It is so well known my friend that it has even coined its own term in the Manosphere. It is known as a P..sy Pass.

posted on Apr, 10 2015 @ 11:17 AM
link   

Your mistaking humor for hate (go figure). I will remove my funny pics. Sorry, have had fun using humor pics lately.
ar15.com GD (general discussion board) humor doesn't work for this crowd I guess

posted on Apr, 10 2015 @ 11:27 AM
link   
She is absolutely correct. I have two brothers and a son. My youngest brother had a verbally/physically abusive girl friend for 10 years, until she pulled her crap in my home, in front of my child and their children, I went ballistic on her ( I will fight a b**** ) my brother held her back off me, I told him to let her go I'll finish it. This one got her s*** straightened out quick. LOL!!

I have seen it with my own eyes and you, boymonkey74, should never tolerate abuse. When you're in love, male or female put up with a lot of stuff because of feelings, I've seen it with my Mom, my Dad was extremely abusive, I truly know the horrors of Domestic Abuse/Violence, I've lived it. This is where I learned when to put my foot down with people and I do.

I won't allow it if I see it male or female. Both should be treated with the same amount of respect. I wouldn't want my son to be treated this way she described in the video.

posted on Apr, 10 2015 @ 11:48 AM
link   
I love women. Just everything about a women is alluring to me.

But above all women, i like strong and intelligent women. Women who are smart enough to tell me i am wrong, and strong enough to stand up and insist I am wrong. A woman that keeps me in check, while at the same time lifting me (and in the process both of us) up. Making me better than I was when she found me.

That woman seems like such a woman.

posted on Apr, 10 2015 @ 11:57 AM
link   

If it was possible to actually have a conversation on this topic without people pithily dismissing one another and hurling shoes I think we would get somewhere.

I'm a feminist, I find I have about 80% in common with 'non-feminists' in most countries I've been in; then there's about 15% semantics and 5% disagreement. That's if we agree not to hit each other over the head with semantics or play a game of who can point out the other's problematic statements. All humans make problematic statements. I find most conversations unfortunately devolve into picking on each other's generalizations or presupposing things about one another. This is especially the case with anyone that says they are MRA or some other thing beginning with M that mean's men's rights.

Unfortunately as BH points out this we're all doomed. Someone will jump on the rail road track that is the identity politics debate we've been having for the last couple of decades and it will run a few figure of eights ... Maybe the thread will get locked if the Gods have mercy on our souls.

posted on Apr, 10 2015 @ 12:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: Pinke
I find most conversations unfortunately devolve into picking on each other's generalizations or presupposing things about one another.

But.. How else will we confirm our bias? Generalizations play the important role of making sure we don't grow beyond our hate.

How else will we dismiss entire groups in the population by picking out the worst, disparate parts and turn them into the whole?

I'm not sure I can get behind the idea that me and my labels are responsible for anything. Surely it is the fault of 'them,' since the generalized caricature clearly shows all blame rests on everyone else but me and mine!

posted on Apr, 10 2015 @ 12:55 PM
link   
In my opinion, a large part of the problem is that misandrists have become too large a percentage of those calling themselves feminists. Unfortunately, this sort of takeover by extremist factions seems to be a common pitfall in the evolution of sociopolitical movements.

I imagine it's frustrating for many women who have long described themselves as feminists and young women fighting for equality who don't want any part of the misandrist agenda. I say this as a person who self-describes as a progressive despite the fact that often the ideas of irrational fanatics on the left are given disproportionate attention. I see a lot of parallels.

posted on Apr, 10 2015 @ 01:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: boymonkey74
Just found this video and I happen to agree with her.
Where was my support network when I was battered by my wife?.....both wives that is.

Well said.
Oh and to add this is not a thread where you can just hate on women so please do not do so.

While I agree that there are double standards, and I am sorry that you were battered, "real feminism" i.e. the actual theory believes in eradicating double standards. Real feminism is against any kind of abuse, battering. I know feminists who really are against, for example, unfair court rulings in child custody, etc.

So it's not feminism we should be against, because feminism, although poorly named, stands for equality for all. It's true.

What we need to be against are the hypocrites, of which there are many, who support double standards. Those people bother the heck out of me as well.

Trust me, I know. I am a single father. And most people, male and female, enter into the double standard of equality where automatically my kid's mother is given sympathy as a poor single woman, even though she cheated, literally took off on me across the country with my kid in her belly, and lies all of the time. Only after years of seeing it did my family slowly switch over to my side. But newbies always give her the sympathy. This is the flip side of the "patriarchy" that true feminism should abolish, i.e. that women are the weaker sex, made for and better at parenting, and hence are always right in custody and divorce issues. The courts still fall into this.
edit on 10-4-2015 by Quetzalcoatl14 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 10 2015 @ 01:32 PM
link   

I absolutely agree with her on the issues. I think the word "feminism" is a misnomer, but I know what it means to me.

She's young. She wasn't around when the term came into being BECAUSE women were being oppressed. She's grown up in a country (I assume the US) where the "feminists" of the past have worked HARD to GAIN the equal rights and privileges she has today.

"Feminism" is actually an outdated term, but for those of us who were around during the feminism of the 60s-80s, it has a real meaning of GAINING equal treatment and MAKING our own roles in society, instead of accepting those "allowed" to us.

So, I absolutely get what she's saying and perhaps it would be better to call it "gender equality", which is what I believe feminism means. I know a lot of men who HATE so-called "feminists" with a passion (no shortage of them in this thread already), so it might calm them down a bit if we used a different term.

I agree with your post 100%.

First, the name is outdated and pushes away some people. It was born out of as you say a time when civil rights were not ensured for all people, from women to minorities.

However, "real" feminism does preach equality for all people, male, female, transgender, etc.

What we shouldn't accept are those, that in their anger, hurt, and knowledge of history, seek to flip the coin to the other side, i.e. double standards, now "women are always right," etc. And the worst of the worst are equally sexist terms like "mansplaining," originally meaning a man speaking down to a woman about something she is equal in knowledge about but now used for a man strongly disagreeing or saying something passionately, as if women don't ever talk down or condescend or disagree.

Recently I had to call out some facebook friends for posting a whole meme about "manterrupting" and "manalogues." In the same vein, as if some women don't interrupt or go off on tangents without listening.

posted on Apr, 10 2015 @ 01:32 PM
link   
S&F.

This young lady is a REAL feminist. I was a "feminist" before it was cool to be one. BH is right. Back then it was about equality. Now it's about superiority and for some, misandry.

There is still a need for a "gender-equality" movement. If we can ever get past the mudslinging and double-standards long enough to work together.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join