It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Iran navy sends destroyer, another vessel to waters near Yemen

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 8 2015 @ 08:38 AM
link   

Iran dispatched a naval destroyer and another vessel Wednesday to waters near Yemen as the United States quickened weapons supply to the Saudi-led coalition striking rebels there, underlining how foreign powers are deepening their involvement in the conflict.

Iran's English-language state broadcaster Press TV quoted Rear Adm. Habibollah Sayyari as saying the ships would be part of an anti-piracy campaign "safeguarding naval routes for vessels in the region."

Source

Yeah right pirates...

Could it be possible a real war between Saudi Arabia and Iran
usually the Saudis use their puppet also know as USA to wage their wars, another thing to blame Obama for i guess, not let USA be used by Israel/Saudi Arabia, although its too soon to say so.

Speaking from Tokyo, Defence Secretary Ash Carter said the collapse of the central government in Yemen makes it harder to conduct counterterrorism operations against al-Qaida, which has ambitions to strike Western targets, including the United States.

So you know US may go there soon to prevent terrorism.

posted on Apr, 8 2015 @ 08:43 AM
link   
a reply to: Indigent

Things are happening fast.

posted on Apr, 8 2015 @ 09:13 AM
link   

The war on terror isn't won yet?

Shoot, we been at it for decades. And still its Al-CIAda this, Taliban that and ISIS is conquering the world.

People are never going to stop fabricating enemies of the state to justify invading other countries.

For the women, the children, the babies in incubators. Weapons of mass distraction, get real and stop supporting the dogma used to justify the real wars of terror being waged on the world. The real mass destruction, the real murder of scores of women and children by destructive and costly bombing campaigns waged by the real masters of war and deceit.

Flame on…

posted on Apr, 8 2015 @ 10:56 AM
link   
One thing that needs to be considered is the lack of conventional war fighting experience by Iran. They use terrorism as their way of national projection. They have very little naval experience in any littoral combat only in small armed patrol boats.

If push come to shove, the Iranians will withdraw because they know they haven't a clue how to wage conventional combat. Is this a prelude to WW3...NO! It's just chest thumping. They will resort to what they know best...terrorism.

posted on Apr, 8 2015 @ 11:07 AM
link   
But moving a couple of ships may a prevent an all out war, why not? Russia did this during Syrian crisis, and the red lines vanished into thin air.

posted on Apr, 8 2015 @ 11:07 AM
link   
a reply to: buddah6

That and the fact that you can't believe anything the Press TV says. Iran doesn't even have a destroyer.
edit on 8-4-2015 by Greathouse because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 8 2015 @ 11:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: intrptr

The war on terror isn't won yet?

You know as well as I do that it is just getting started, and that the location and populous engaging in "terror" will shift as time goes on.

posted on Apr, 8 2015 @ 11:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: Greathouse

That and the fact that you can't believe anything the Press TV says. Iran doesn't even have a destroyer.

You might want to re-think that post.

Iran's Navy

posted on Apr, 8 2015 @ 11:21 AM
link   
a reply to: eriktheawful

And you might want to rethink your post. Nowhere does a Iranian frigate meet the qualifications to be called a destroyer except in Iran.

Frigates are used for patrol ASW and coastal patrols. Destroyers are used for protection of fleets and larger ships.

From your link they even call the ship press TV mentioned a frigate.

your link

posted on Apr, 8 2015 @ 11:22 AM
link   
a reply to: Greathouse

Knew you would say that. So:

Jamaran

While the Jamaran has been described by the press as a guided missile destroyer, within some western military analysis circles such as Jane's Information Group and Globalsecurity.org it has instead been designated a frigate based on its displacement;[3][4][5] the latter acknowledged that there are no "rules in these matters". Furthermore Globalsecurity.org states: 'Iran calls these ships "destroyers" but they would be classed as a light Frigate by the reckoning of all other countries.' [4] PressTV and Iranian military are themselves describing Jamaran as a "frigate class ship"[18] in the same article where they claim it as a "destroyer".

ETA - we class it as a frigate, they call it a destroyer. No set rules on what to call a ship.
edit on 4/8/2015 by eriktheawful because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 8 2015 @ 11:30 AM
link   

So you agree with what I said the only place in the world that would call it a destroyer is Iran.

But the rest of the world classifies them as frigates. Just another example of Iran's bravado and over estimation of their abilities.

posted on Apr, 8 2015 @ 11:37 AM
link   

So you agree with what I said the only place in the world that would call it a destroyer is Iran.

But the rest of the world classifies them as frigates. Just another example of Iran's bravado and over estimation of their abilities.

It's still a warship. Armed, and able to send out quite a bit of damage.

I know. I've served on 3 destroyers here in the US during my naval career. Just because something is small, and doesn't displace as much water, doesn't mean it's not dangerous.

Doesn't take a battleship to shell a shoreline, or send cruise missiles. A frigate can reach out and hurt quite a lot of people too.

If Iran want's to call their ship that is 200 feet shorter than the ones I served on a "Destroyer", then according to them, they have a destroyer.

If I saw it and knew it was getting ready to start shooting, I'd be looking for cover quick. Not laughing at it.

posted on Apr, 8 2015 @ 11:40 AM
link   

Does it matter if its a warhsip or Frigate?

Its still a Iranian warship.

Anyway

I hope the west keeps netural in this.
edit on 8-4-2015 by crazyewok because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 8 2015 @ 11:42 AM
link   

I agree all ships are dangerous.

But currently in this world outside of Iran that ship is classified as a frigate as I stated.

posted on Apr, 8 2015 @ 11:44 AM
link   
a reply to: Greathouse

No, you said they don't have one. According to them, they do.

Tell you what: let's just agree that it's a "warship" that can cause some serious damage. I know PT boats that can sink an aircraft carrier....or two.
edit on 4/8/2015 by eriktheawful because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 8 2015 @ 11:46 AM
link   
a reply to: Indigent

I think at this point, a little spark is more than enough to start world holocaust...

edit: the false "peace talks" going on, in the international scene, are just a blindfold for the upcoming war.
edit on 8/4/2015 by voyger2 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 8 2015 @ 11:47 AM
link   

What the difference? Iran is sending a military "ship" to the region. Why do you have to pick it apart in order to make the fact any less serious. All of you defend Iran and Russia so much you let them get away with a free pass on destabilizing Yemen.

You may hate the USA but don't forget to smack the other hands in the cookie jar

posted on Apr, 8 2015 @ 11:48 AM
link   
a reply to: voyger2

I would have to agree. The region is radicalized that I fear a mass genocide will take place. I think ISIS horrors was just the beginning.

posted on Apr, 8 2015 @ 11:53 AM
link   

If push come to shove, the Iranians will withdraw because they know they haven't a clue how to wage conventional combat. Is this a prelude to WW3...NO! It's just chest thumping. They will resort to what they know best...terrorism.

They have plenty of experience or have you forgotten about the Iran Iraq war? The Iraqis were backed by America and the war lasted nine years. And if you want to talk about terrorism let's talk about Saudi Arabia.

posted on Apr, 8 2015 @ 11:55 AM
link   
One fact that I just thought about. Does Iran promote their commanders/captains for military competence or their religious affiliations? How about those "Donald Duck" baseball caps...lol.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join