It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Forced to get Flu Shot - How can I decline?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 7 2015 @ 09:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: Metallicus
Isn't it weird that you can kill an unborn child in this country because it is 'your body, your choice', but when it comes to these vaccines your choices are taken away from you? It is BS and you should fight this any way you can if you feel strongly about not getting this shot.
A fast food worker is REQUIRED to wash his hands after using the bathroom. Nobody is going to strap this guy down and force him to get a flu shot. But if he wants to remain employed, he will. That's his choice.

posted on Apr, 7 2015 @ 09:13 AM
link   
What is it you do in the medical field ? Dr, nurse, orderly. etc.....that may help us help you.

posted on Apr, 7 2015 @ 09:19 AM
link   
I get a flu shot every year to help tge vulnerable people I look after.
Everyone should get one who works in healthcare. It is the right moral thing to do.

posted on Apr, 7 2015 @ 09:24 AM
link   
Ring in .. tell them you got the flu and will be out for the week that week .. problem solved ..

posted on Apr, 7 2015 @ 09:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: boymonkey74
Everyone should get one who works in healthcare. It is the right moral thing to do.
When I was younger I worked for a jail. Every year, mandatory flu shot. Any profession where you getting infected might cause a mini-epidemic is probably a good statute for the employer to require flu shots.

posted on Apr, 7 2015 @ 09:30 AM
link   
......land of the free?

....yeah free from common sense....

posted on Apr, 7 2015 @ 09:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: Swing80s
So things are starting to get VERY anal in the medical community. Between this new type of TB test that's 2 series and requires 4 doctor visits, and Varicella BS (I always thought it was a right of passage as a kid and you don't need to give me that whole .00000whatever% kids die from it each yeah from chicken pox). Anyways I'm willing to go through it all which I have (quite a long list), but I WILL NOT get vaccinated for a seasonal flu shot. It is against my moral and ethical beliefs as a human being so can I make it a First Amendment stance? I'll let them poke and prod me as much as they want but I'm not going to get a shot for last seasons flu. Can anybody here help me or tell me what to say to my superior to respectfully decline but still stay on her good side? Much appreciated.

Come back here and post after asking to know the exact product name of the vaccine.
Flu-Blok is fairly new. I continue to find amazing things just from the package insert that no one usually reads.
There is a component in the ingredient list called "Triton T-100". It's a detergent that is used to separate agents in the centrifuge.

A single 0.5 mL dose of Flublok contains sodium chloride (4.4 mg), monobasic sodium phosphate (0.195 mcg), dibasic sodium phosphate (1.3 mg), and polysorbate 20 (Tween®20) (27.5 mcg). Each 0.5 mL dose of Flublok may also contain residual amounts of baculovirus and Spodoptera frugiperda cell proteins (≤ 28.5 mcg), baculovirus and cellular DNA (≤ 10 ng), and Triton X-100 (≤ 100 mcg).

I pulled the MSDS from one commercial supplier and found the following.

GHS Label elements, including precautionary statements
Pictogram
Signal word Warning
Hazard statement(s)
H302 Harmful if swallowed.
H319 Causes serious eye irritation.
H411 Toxic to aquatic life with long lasting effects.
Precautionary statement(s)
P264 Wash skin thoroughly after handling.
P270 Do not eat, drink or smoke when using this product.
P273 Avoid release to the environment.
P280 Wear protective gloves/ eye protection/ face protection

It also contains residual DNA from an Army worm and a virus that infects invertebrates. No egg, antiboitics, mercury or aluminum phosphate.

The effectiveness in people 18-48 hovers just under 50% compared to saline placebo. Getting the ful and recovering is still the best protection against the flu. This one doesn't look too dangerous.

posted on Apr, 7 2015 @ 09:37 AM
link   
Question to the op is it just the flu vaccine you are afraid of?.
What about a hep b shot? A polio shot?.

posted on Apr, 7 2015 @ 09:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: bullcat

originally posted by: Iamthatbish
I use egg allergies. The virus is made in eggs therefore it can be considered an egg product.

www.cdc.gov...

"Flublok does not use the influenza virus or chicken eggs in its manufacturing process. See How Influenza (Flu) Vaccines Are Made for more information."

You are so out of luck now

The fact you have to find "excuses" says a lot about your freedoms in your land of the free.

Hope you don't go around proclaiming your freedoms and our jealous of them.

I have never been "forced" to take any vaccine in my country. Why is it like that there?

Even here you need "parental consent" forms to sign before you get your kids vaccinated in schools. Most parents are thick anyway and just sign.

Why then when I do a search of "How Influenza (Flu) Vaccines Are Made", I get this as the first result: www.cdc.gov...

The most common way that flu vaccines are made is using an egg-based manufacturing process that has been in existence for more than 70 years. Egg-based vaccine manufacturing is used to make both inactivated (killed) vaccine (usually called the “flu shot”) and live attenuated (weakened) vaccine (usually called the “nasal spray”).

For sulphur/sulfur products, it's better to be safe than sorry.

To your point regarding freedom, there are issues governed by the Constitution which don't play into peer pressure. Staying on one's good side is a preference, not a law. Getting terminated from employment because you declined the vaccination would be a Constitutional issue.

posted on Apr, 7 2015 @ 09:42 AM
link   

Don't the people you look after get flu vaccines? If so, their vaccines should protect them if they are contaminated with flu germs from yourself or ones you pick up and carry from the general population. Right???
edit on 7-4-2015 by StoutBroux because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 7 2015 @ 09:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: StoutBroux

Don't the people you look after get flu vaccines? If so, their vaccines should protect them if they are contaminated with flu germs from yourself or ones you pick up and carry from the general population. Right???
It's easier to vaccine healthcare workers than to assume all patients are vaccinated.

posted on Apr, 7 2015 @ 09:51 AM
link   
a reply to: StoutBroux

Not all my dudes can get them for various reasons.
We give informed choices to our guys but they can refuse....they refuse mostly due to being afraid of needles.
I look after people with ld.
It is just one thong we do (get the flu shot) to help our guys have a full safe life.

posted on Apr, 7 2015 @ 09:55 AM
link   
Say that you already got it somewhere else over the weekend. That's if you haven't spoken out about it. Otherwise, they will know that you are lying and just trying to get out of it. That's what I would do.

However, there is an exception, I agree that the moral thing to do if you work in healthcare is to get it. You may not get the flu virus yourself, but you may pass it on to an elder or a child whose health might not be greatest.
edit on 7-4-2015 by blackmetalmist because: added

posted on Apr, 7 2015 @ 10:23 AM
link   
a reply to: Swing80s

You have me on the fence..

I appreciate your right to refuse a vaccination, but as a Medical Professional you are in constant contact with people who are sick and also people who very often have struggling and compromised immune systems and who could possibly suffer greatly or die as a result of your philosophical stance.

And you do have options, like refusing and perhaps losing your job.

My grandfather and uncle both went into the hospital for relatively minor things and contracted viruses while in the hospital. My grandfather died, my uncle did a 2 week stint at the hospital battling the virus and lived.

As a patient I want to know that my nurse or doctor is washing hands between patient visits, has been vaccinated etc.

My other thought is that if you don't trust the medical community or the protocols you are dispensing on patients, then you might be in the wrong profession.

posted on Apr, 7 2015 @ 10:39 AM
link   
I used to have doctors who would vouch for the fact that I cannot take a flu shot without getting a bad reaction. Both of those doctors are now dead and I doubt if their records exist anymore.

I would need to take a shot and get critically ill to gain evidence again and I am not going to go through that again. My grandchildren have evidence from the doctors, but that evidence is probably not written down, if they change doctors then they probably lose their evidence. All they write down is that they do not take the shot. The doctors cannot say that the extremely bad reaction was definitely due to the flu shot, but the one did see that everyone of my daughters kids did get really sick from them. That should be evidence enough. They have uncovered some genetic variants that will show overreaction to vaccinations, but this only shows an increased reaction, it has not yet been thoroughly evaluated. Maybe in two or three years they will be able to figure it out. If you get a severe reaction to a shot, you have natural immunity to the flu. The flu can kill you though, it can trigger a very severe reaction sometimes. Knowing what to eat and not to eat is essential to keep your body from overreacting. This is an autimmune issue, You have what they call autoimmune diseases. These diseases need never express themselves, you need to learn what you can and cannot eat to keep the body from overreacting. If you have a hyperactive immune system, you do not want to eat a lot of food that builds it's reserves. Moderation should be observed.

I'll never willingly take a flu shot again. If they try to force me, I will move to a country that has smart enough people in it to understand what my concerns are. Evidently the smart people do not work in some hospitals.

posted on Apr, 7 2015 @ 10:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: ScientificRailgun
If you work in a medical profession, and it's part of your conditions of employment, then it is required. That simple.

If you had a problem with vaccines of any kind, you have no business working in the medical field, as vaccinations are (in the vast majority of cases) a REQUIREMENT to remain employed in the field.

Nothing a simple check mark on a form cant solve.

edit on 7-4-2015 by bullcat because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 7 2015 @ 10:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: bullcat

originally posted by: ScientificRailgun
If you work in a medical profession, and it's part of your conditions of employment, then it is required. That simple.

If you had a problem with vaccines of any kind, you have no business working in the medical field, as vaccinations are (in the vast majority of cases) a REQUIREMENT to remain employed in the field.

Nothing a simple check mark on a form cant solve.

Yup, and when the OP gets the flu and transmits it to an immune-compromised patient and that patient dies, I'm sure a checkmark on some form will make everything better, right?

posted on Apr, 7 2015 @ 11:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: rickymouse
I used to have doctors who would vouch for the fact that I cannot take a flu shot without getting a bad reaction. Both of those doctors are now dead and I doubt if their records exist anymore.

Your medical records don't die with your doctors.......but the fact that you've not even bothered to check shows your lack of real interest in your health...

I would need to take a shot and get critically ill to gain evidence again and I am not going to go through that again.

Sounds like a cop-out to me....why don't you just pick up the phone?.....

My grandchildren have evidence from the doctors, but that evidence is probably not written down, if they change doctors then they probably lose their evidence. All they write down is that they do not take the shot. The doctors cannot say that the extremely bad reaction was definitely due to the flu shot, but the one did see that everyone of my daughters kids did get really sick from them. That should be evidence enough. They have uncovered some genetic variants that will show overreaction to vaccinations, but this only shows an increased reaction, it has not yet been thoroughly evaluated. Maybe in two or three years they will be able to figure it out. If you get a severe reaction to a shot, you have natural immunity to the flu. The flu can kill you though, it can trigger a very severe reaction sometimes. Knowing what to eat and not to eat is essential to keep your body from overreacting. This is an autimmune issue, You have what they call autoimmune diseases. These diseases need never express themselves, you need to learn what you can and cannot eat to keep the body from overreacting. If you have a hyperactive immune system, you do not want to eat a lot of food that builds it's reserves. Moderation should be observed.

I'll never willingly take a flu shot again. If they try to force me, I will move to a country that has smart enough people in it to understand what my concerns are. Evidently the smart people do not work in some hospitals.

I think wherever you might move people will be able to tell that you're making all of this up....

What is it that allows people to think they know better than trained professionals even when they don't take the time to learn the very basics?
edit on 7-4-2015 by Prezbo369 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 7 2015 @ 11:18 AM
link   
a reply to: Swing80s

Look for my thread later tonight. I was going make it soon, but your thread is prompting me to let everyone know.

I work in healthcare and will tell you how I did it.

That's a promise.

posted on Apr, 7 2015 @ 11:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: eisegesis

I work in healthcare

You're not doing it right..

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join