It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Man Imprisoned After Filming Eric Garner’s Death, Refusing to Eat, Rat Poison Found in Jail Food

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 6 2015 @ 07:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: American-philosopher
a reply to: Blackmarketeer

but are we able to link the rat poisoning to Orta being imprisoned or is it just that rykers prison is just trying to poison inmates and not specifically targeting Orta?

from the source:

While in prison, Orta has taken seemingly drastic measures to ensure that he is not killed by the gang he witnessed murder Eric Garner. Orta has been refusing to eat, as he fears that guards may poison him because he is a high-profile opponent of police brutality. Sadly, Orta’s fears were well-founded. While he has been behind bars at Rikers, dozens of other inmates have reported traces of rat poison in their food, a claim that was actually recently admitted by prison officials.

I'd say he (Orta) has a well-founded fear that he will ingest rat poison based on what has occurred in the prison while he is there (the poisoning of other inmates who were fed it).

TBH in any prison environment you'll have inmates who may feel singled out for retaliation by guards/police but in Orta's case it might be justified.

posted on Apr, 6 2015 @ 07:32 PM
link   
a reply to: Bone75

There's the aspect of guards not preparing food, plus...doesn't Rikers have a canteen? With food? So is he refusing to eat altogether or just the jail food? One article says he's eating candy bars so....?

posted on Apr, 6 2015 @ 07:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: Blackmarketeer

from the source:

The source considers him being caught with an unregistered gun, a crime he was convicted for in the past, a trumped up charge.

Your source is complete garbage.

posted on Apr, 6 2015 @ 07:47 PM
link   

I haven't found a single source actually citing a "Rikers official" admitting anything. Other than the one in OP.

The closest I've come to it so far is inmates saying medics told them it was. Unnamed medics.

posted on Apr, 6 2015 @ 07:51 PM
link   
The lawyers aren't touching it because the law is on the side of the organized mafia we call police.

Right or wrong doesn't matter anymore- it's all about the convoluted, confused, twisted and immoral law- and they aren't going to fight wrong if its legal.

Tear it down already!

posted on Apr, 6 2015 @ 07:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: Shamrock6

I haven't found a single source actually citing a "Rikers official" admitting anything. Other than the one in OP.

The closest I've come to it so far is inmates saying medics told them it was. Unnamed medics.

The inmates have filed a suit over the rat poison:

Rikers guards poisoned inmates’ meatloaf ‘out of revenge': suit

Rikers inmates accuse D.O.C. of poisoning in lawsuit

The plaintiffs in the suit were led to believe that the contaminant was rat poison, which often has a blue-green color and comes in pellet form. They allege that corrections officers and medical personnel refused their requests for medical attention and for tests to determine what they ingested, and called for a judge to intervene.

The complaint also alleges that jail personnel have “confiscated, destroyed, thrown out and/or have otherwise taken the contaminated food from Plantiffs’ possession in efforts to destroy same and/or cover up the poisoning of Plaintiffs’ food/meals.”

The case is Siddons et al v. The City of New York et al.

Original source (AFAIK):
Rikers Island inmates say they were sickened by poisoned meatloaf

The suit contends that a “blue and green” foreign substance was found in the meatloaf. Squillace described the substances it as “pellets.”

“Department of Correction medical personnel told them it was rat poison,” Squillace said.

An official at the city Correction Department said the claims are half-baked, and appear to have been cooked up by the inmates as a protest.

But the inmates have stashed away leftovers from the meal in question, hoping it will be tested by an independent lab, said their lawyer, Joann Squillace.

I'm sure the government knows it'll turn into a "he-said, she-said" case so long as no evidence leaves the prison, to that end they may well be keeping these inmates locked down or doing extra sweeps through their cells looking for said meatloaf.

posted on Apr, 6 2015 @ 08:04 PM
link   

I know they filed a suit. I referenced it multiple times. The suit doesn't name anybody either. It names "DoC medical personnel."

And the sitting judge refused to order further medical attention.

And instead of appealing, the attorney said he's "disappointed" and "hopes DoC" does the right thing.

All of which I've said previously.

posted on Apr, 6 2015 @ 08:31 PM
link   

Another thug off the streets, and he refuses to eat, saving tax dollars, and lowering crime all at the same time.

posted on Apr, 6 2015 @ 09:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bone75
Also, the little thugmanot had a prior conviction for an illegal gun, I wouldn't consider packing again a "trumped up" charge. It sounds like he's right where he belongs.

Then there was his drug dealing....

STATEN ISLAND, N.Y. -- Ramsey Orta, the Tompkinsville man who filmed the fatal confrontation between Eric Garner and an NYPD officer last summer, sold drugs to an undercover cop on nine occasions over the past few months, a prosecutor said in court Tuesday. Orta, 23, was arraigned on drug charges along with his mother, Emily Mercado, 42; Michael Batista, 25, of Park Avenue, and four other defendants for peddling various drugs, including crack coc aine, heroin and marijuana, prosecutors allege. The arrests stem from an ongoing probe based on community complaints about drug dealing in and around Tompkinsville Park, said a source with knowledge of the investigation.

www.silive.com...

Funny how the OP left that out!

posted on Apr, 6 2015 @ 09:12 PM
link   
a reply to: roadgravel
I don't think there is much to question regarding the ethics and morals here..straight up criminals have more integrity and on that there is no doubt in my mind.

edit on 6-4-2015 by vonclod because: (no reason given)

edit on 6-4-2015 by vonclod because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 6 2015 @ 09:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: Shamrock6
I love that the article is trying to link two completely different things together.

They (the inmates) did a good job of trying to tie it all together with a neat little bow, though. One of them is quoted as saying "Being denied the proper treatment is causing me mental and emotional pain and distress, anxiety, mental anguish and stress,”

It sounds like the quoted inmate is describing the mental condition that made him a criminal in the first place. Duh!
-cwm

posted on Apr, 6 2015 @ 09:20 PM
link   

Scary stuff is going on in these prisons.. Kinda hard to believe or even fully accept what this guy is going through.

Lesson learned, dont film the cops killing people. lol

posted on Apr, 6 2015 @ 09:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: iFloButta

Lesson learned, dont film the cops killing people. lol

I'd say a better lesson would be film them every single chance you get. But you might not want to be a criminal while you do it.

posted on Apr, 6 2015 @ 10:29 PM
link   
a reply to: Pimpish

I agree but from the OP quoted material it says the cops were practically stalking the guy looking for a reason to arrest. If true, the cops will eventually find a reason to arrest you for that illegal thing you don't know your doing

posted on Apr, 6 2015 @ 10:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: iFloButta
the cops will eventually find a reason to arrest you for that illegal thing you don't know your doing

So you do not know drug dealing is illegal? You do not know carrying a gun is illegal?

posted on Apr, 7 2015 @ 01:09 AM
link   
a reply to: hellobruce

Was he doing either at the time of his arrest? What was their probable cause to investigate him? At the scene he should have just been a random person. Free from search and seizure.

posted on Apr, 7 2015 @ 05:33 AM
link   
a reply to: Aazadan

According to his indictment, he was observed stuffing a gun inside somebody's waistband and when (I can't decipher it 100%) arrested may have had another gun still on him. So...yea.

posted on Apr, 7 2015 @ 07:21 AM
link   
According to the last piece of police paperwork filed with my name on it, I was driving without insurance (a crime, here), driving "too fast for the conditions" (Also a crime, here) and spun my car out of control, slammed into a guard rail, and did more than $1,000 worth of damage to the car.

There are a few problems with this report, however.
1) the car in question had a KBB value of about $800 at the time, and the damage was a small dent
2) the car was fully insured at the time

and most importantly...
3) I wasn't driving. Nor was I passengering. I wasn't even there- I was safe and sound at home, and someone else had borrowed my car.

Police reports say whatever the police want them to say, so don't take them at face value. I had to take them to court to avoid losing my license over something that I not only had no control over, but had no involvement in.

Had the person driving the car not been willing to go to court with me and take full responsibility (For which there were no repercussions, since the vehicle actually was insured and the officer simply checked the wrong box on his form) I likely would have lost my license- followed immediately by losing my job (Which requires a valid license), followed fairly rapidly by losing my home.

posted on Apr, 7 2015 @ 09:54 AM
link   
so just how long have we been murdering people in prison? a long time as long as the crow flies. So have you ever heard of this thing called an institution? yea, a long time ago, a man with words...............

posted on Apr, 7 2015 @ 10:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: lordcomac
According to the last piece of police paperwork filed with my name on it, I was driving without insurance (a crime, here), driving "too fast for the conditions" (Also a crime, here) and spun my car out of control, slammed into a guard rail, and did more than $1,000 worth of damage to the car.

There are a few problems with this report, however.
1) the car in question had a KBB value of about $800 at the time, and the damage was a small dent
2) the car was fully insured at the time

and most importantly...
3) I wasn't driving. Nor was I passengering. I wasn't even there- I was safe and sound at home, and someone else had borrowed my car.

Police reports say whatever the police want them to say, so don't take them at face value. I had to take them to court to avoid losing my license over something that I not only had no control over, but had no involvement in.

Had the person driving the car not been willing to go to court with me and take full responsibility (For which there were no repercussions, since the vehicle actually was insured and the officer simply checked the wrong box on his form) I likely would have lost my license- followed immediately by losing my job (Which requires a valid license), followed fairly rapidly by losing my home.

OMG I'm so mad at you right now!!!! I got a DUI without haven gotten one!!! damnit now I know right Irruminaleco don't say that again or or or

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join