It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The seven rules of propaganda or fun with Shills 101.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 6 2015 @ 01:07 PM
link   
Now I won't point any fingers. But I have seen a certain group of people that hold onto the seven rules religiously. These are Goebels rules on propaganda. The very fact that someone clings to his ideology is repulsive to me.

Propaganda is basically lying by omission, select only the pertinent parts from a source that backs your argument . Then emotionally charge that argument so that the readers respond with passion not rationality. It's human nature you get someone emotionally involved with the subject all reason goes out the window.

Here are the seven rules.

The full quote on the rules will be available at the source. ( except the first one because I'm lazy and this is a pain in the butt on a phone.)

#1.... Name calling or minimization

Laugh at what targeted others say. Criticize their lack of Values. Denounce their ideals. Turn around theirs words and actions, taking them out of context and amplifying them to drown out any denial (making denial seem like admission of guilt). Use other double-binds such that whatever they say or do only mires them more deeply. Find a name that trivializes them and use it at every opportunity, with a smirk on your face and the laughter of

your supporters

Show up opponents Make your opponents appear stupid, immoral or otherwise undesirable. Besmirch their untarnished reputation, holding it down in the mud, rubbing it in with the knowledge that much of the mud will stick. Be careful about the person retaliating. As necessary, ensure they are isolated and disempowered first.

Make an example of someone Take a random person and denigrate them. Show that you can and will do this any opponents. You can do it to an apparently strong person, to demonstrate that you are not afraid and will take on and defeat even the powerful. You can do it to a weak person, to show that nobody is safe from your ire. You can do it to an ordinary, guy-next-door person, to show that 'people like you' are not safe either.

The second highlight in that quote is a telling trait. We've all seen it time after time the same group of posters shows up on the same thread and promotes each other's ideas while congratulating each other. That same group of posters is quick to pounce on any dissension as a Group.

#2. Glittering generality's

Method
Method
Use attractive, but vague words that make speeches and other communications sound good, but in practice say nothing in particular.

Discussion
Generalization is a common process whereby we take one thing and apply it to others. Glittering generalities use this principle in seeking to evoke emotions without making any commitments or putting the speaker in a position where they may be challenged or criticized. If people are taken to a place where they accept vague statements, then suggestion can be used to replace rational argument and clear evidence.
Hypnotic talk puts people into a light trance, where they become carried away by the situation and are more suggestible. When accompanied by comfortable surroundings, darkened rooms and flashing lights, the effect is accentuated further.
Nouns give the sense of substance, but when they are intangible, they lack actual substance. This allows the speaker to credibly apply then to broad domains.

I call #2 the unicorn, pink fluffy clouds and rainbows tactics. Propagandist will make a wall of text appealing to your emotions at the beginning. Then towards the end when they've captured your heart they impose ideology to capture your brain.

Transfer

Method;
Associate with other people or groups that already have high trust and credibility. Show that you aspire to similar ideals. Become a member of auspicious organizations. Be seen with trustworthy people. Name-drop and quote them. Show that you have friends in high places. Show how you are like them.

Discussion
When you show yourself to be like a known and respected person, then you are encouraging the other person to categorize you in the same way, such that they will then attribute all of the characteristics of the other person onto you (including trust).
Showing yourself to be better then uses the other person's values and abilities as a base on which you have built. There are dangers in this, as it may seem that you are criticizing someone that the other person has idealized.

You might think this rule is a little hard to apply. Until you realize that many agents on the Internet do this by proxy. They will take a well-known personality Alex Jones, David Hickey, drudge etc. or a major news source and associate their selves with that brand.

In today's age of communication Rule 3 and 4 seem to go hand-in-hand to me.

#4 transfer

If your words might lack credibility in some way, borrow the credibility of others by getting the testimony of trusted others. Use celebrities and public personalities who have well established and trusted public brands. Use experts, clerics, police, scientists and others whose title is respected, even if the people themselves are unknown. Use people who are like the people whose support you need. Get them to stand up and support your case with vigour. Get them on stage with you. Get them on TV shows and into political debates. Help with words, if you can (but do not alienate them by being too pushy).

I called those the Association through ideology tactics. ( generally rule #2 is always in play when they use this tactic)

Be plain folk.

When they see you as like them, they are more likely to like and trust you in return. Once they have decided that you are trustworthy, they will accept what you say without question. Appearing ordinary also makes you appear uncomplicated and very unlikely to tell lies. As a result, people are more likely to trust you further and believe more of what you say. This is a method that is often used by people aspiring to (and working in) high office. It is easy for such people to lose track with the ordinary person -- or at least appear to do so.

This rule is mainly talking about the leader of which ideology you side with.

Now I ask you what leader of the world goes out of his way to represent himself as plain folk?
Hint; i've never seen Western leaders with their T-shirts off.

Card stacking

In 'card-stacking', deliberate action is taken to bias an argument, with opposing evidence being buried or discredited, whilst the case for one's own position is exaggerated at every opportunity. Thus the testimonial of supporters is used, but not that of opponents.

Card-stacking makes significant use of the evidence principle, whereby we find evidence to be particularly persuasive.
Card stacking, particularly with testimonials, works when we confuse real statistics with availability, leading us to assume that just because there appears to be overwhelming support from other people, then this is a representative sample of the whole population.

This tactic in my opinion is self evident it is called, projectile bull#ing !!!!

You'll have to look up rule number seven on your own. ( damn iPhone)

source

edit on 6-4-2015 by Greathouse because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 6 2015 @ 01:23 PM
link   
a reply to: Greathouse

Reminds me of the grubby, worn booklets that Hitler studied while living in Liverpool. He wouldn't let anyone see what was written in them but read them repeatedly when he wasn't out exploring the factories and docks.
Allegedly. I wasn't actually there.

Good thread. There certainly are behaviour patterns to be seen. It's all a bit of a laugh online. But when it's someone who lives locally it can get awkward.
edit on 6 4 2015 by Kester because: condense

posted on Apr, 6 2015 @ 01:23 PM
link   
I had thought that most shills use phone instead of PC's ...who would have thunk ..ok so only another 134 to go ...thanks for the thread because the kid's are hungry :>)

posted on Apr, 6 2015 @ 01:29 PM
link   
a reply to: Kester

Thanks I just thought I'd throw the subject out there. The scariest part of this whole thread is that even know these tactics are well-known people still fall for it.

posted on Apr, 6 2015 @ 01:31 PM
link   
a reply to: the2ofusr1

I had thought that most shills use phone instead of PC's

Did you just try to use rule number one? Lol

posted on Apr, 6 2015 @ 01:33 PM
link   
Thats funny that you post this, you where doing the exact same thing on a thread a few days ago, people dont need to be shills to spout this stuff to defend or attack people.

Sheep do the same thing.

posted on Apr, 6 2015 @ 01:35 PM
link   
I have been called American so many times that i have got tired of it. But hey, i let them play their game as i find it amusing and entertaining. Seeing them in action can be very educational.

posted on Apr, 6 2015 @ 01:35 PM
link   
a reply to: dukeofjive696969

Says the guy that just used to rule number one and rule number three together.

Your statement may be a coincidence but I think not.

posted on Apr, 6 2015 @ 01:38 PM
link   

This one is much more clearer on how it works...

How to Beat Internet Trolls

4. Question motives. Twist or amplify any fact which could so taken to imply that the opponent operates out of a hidden personal agenda or other bias.

8. Pretend that alternative media – such as blogs written by the top experts in their fields, without any middleman – are untrustworthy or are motivated solely by money.

12. Use a straw man. Find or create a seeming element of your opponent’s argument which you can easily knock down to make yourself look good and the opponent to look bad. Either make up an issue you may safely imply exists based on your interpretation of the opponent/opponent arguments/situation, or select the weakest aspect of the weakest charges. Amplify their significance and destroy them in a way which appears to debunk all the charges, real and fabricated alike, while actually avoiding discussion of the real issues.

13. Associate opponent charges with old news. A derivative of the straw man usually, in any large-scale matter of high visibility, someone will make charges early on which can be or were already easily dealt with.

14. Censor social media, so that the hardest-hitting information is buried.

16. Protect the rich and powerful by labeling any allegations of criminal activity as being a “conspiracy theory”.

Source

Oh Yeah, and this is how easy paranoid people are being fooled...

edit on 6 4 2015 by BornAgainAlien because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 6 2015 @ 01:40 PM
link   
I'm from indiana and I've heard them all the last two weeks. It got old fast
edit on 6-4-2015 by Hoosierdaddy71 because: Spelling

link   

One of the best unwritten rules should be to have the ability to always deflect the charge back to the other person ...oh wait :>)

link   
a reply to: dollukka

I find the groups amusing too. But it's frightening how influential/corruptive they can be.

posted on Apr, 6 2015 @ 01:41 PM
link   
You forgot the number one rule for shills. Try to detract attention by shouting "Shill!"

posted on Apr, 6 2015 @ 01:42 PM
link   
a reply to: the2ofusr1

Touché, but if you read The OP you would see the danger is in groups.

posted on Apr, 6 2015 @ 01:45 PM
link   

ETA- WARNING!!!

Do not attempt the following on ATS!!!

I just troll them, at great length, evetytime I see them.

Rule number 1 make it personal. Emotion is the kryptonite of reasoned debate.

Rule number 2 always make outrageous claims. Let them waste their time trying to source your claims

Which brings us to rule number 3 never provide a single spec of evidence for anything you claim ever!!

Rule number 4 deflect deflect deflec . The better or more accurate their argument, the the easier you act like it is to just toss it aside like it was the dumbest thing you ever heard.

Rule number 5 at no point must the troll ever address a single thing they say that is relevant to the discussion.

Rule number 6 insult constantly. One must be very subtle here. Flat out insults will get you into trouble, and gain you nobody on your side.a good example would be "everyone knows "blank" if you don't your an idiot" or "only a moron would believe "blank".

This allows you to keep them angry after your use of rule number 1.

Rule number 7 use things like others agreeing with you as proof of your claims. Just keep hammering this point home, it is infuriating.

These7 tips should help you troll someone into a fit of rage in no more than a dozen posts if done correctly.
edit on 6-4-2015 by johnwick because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 6 2015 @ 01:46 PM
link   

What i have also noticed is that ATS isn´t as easy piece of cake than they thought it would be. I see these people coming and going.
In informational war you fight against shills, who try to influence the public with feelings more than realistic data, with real trustworthy and official neutral information.
The worst thing you can do is add a link to major news channels then you get the ball bouncing back to you.

posted on Apr, 6 2015 @ 01:46 PM
link   
a reply to: BornAgainAlien

good vid , funny like crap ... I went looking earlier but couldn't find anything that good

posted on Apr, 6 2015 @ 01:47 PM
link   
Look one of the groups I talked about is forming before our eyes. Same posters, same posters congratulating each other ,and same posters trying to shout an opposing view down without admitting these tactics or well-known.

posted on Apr, 6 2015 @ 01:49 PM
link   

Watch out for what is in your coffee !

posted on Apr, 6 2015 @ 01:49 PM
link   
a reply to: dollukka

who try to influence the public with feelings more than realistic data, with real trustworthy and official neutral information.
tell me oh wonderful one just what the heck is " feelings more than realistic data " ????

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join