It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Any folk here keep Degus as pets?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 4 2015 @ 01:16 PM
link   
Degu are a sociable rodent that i saw in a pet shop yesterday..

I'm considering getting a couple as pets for me, the Mrs and my son of eight. We're a bit nomadic so we are often not at home for a couple or three days at a time. I've been looking after my boy's Syrian Hamster while he's been on hols with his mum. Mr Hamster is a cool dude, but i cant help feeling sorry for him living on his own (my gloss, they are solitary but it still seems a bit sad) etc. This puts me off keeping a hamster for silly human emotional reasons.

If i got a couple of Degu, they would have a couple of good sized cages at least, connected by tubes and i have a room that could be their own and that they could be let out of their cages and be allowed to hang out in regularly.

Now i've never owned a rodent before (though my wife has) and these appeal as they could keep each other company and they sound like a good, interactive pet for a youngish child - as well as my presumption that leaving them for a few days (with clean bedding, water, food etc) would not be negative for them.

Any opinions welcome, feel free to tell me i've got it about right, or that i'm clueless

posted on Apr, 4 2015 @ 01:24 PM
link   
Sorry I just couldn't help myself!!!

posted on Apr, 4 2015 @ 02:01 PM
link   
a reply to: skalla

Those little guys are cute - never heard of degus (sp?) before. They look like a combo of a squirrel and gerbil.

My bald cyprus trees are budding out in my backyard (yeah Spring) and I have my favorite two squirrels that come and get their bread from me every morning like clockwork. I would think that Degus would do well on their own (like squirrels) for several days at a time. As long as they have fresh water and some seeds and bread.

Best of luck!

posted on Apr, 4 2015 @ 02:19 PM
link   
a reply to: skalla

Just watched some Degu videos with my daughter. What a great pet you have there. Hope you don't have a dog or big cat. Degus are very friendly and a bigger animal won't understand that.

posted on Apr, 4 2015 @ 02:19 PM
link   
a reply to: Missmissie173

The ones i saw yesterday were extremely cute and i was tempted to just shell out on them and all they'd need there and then.

Mr Hamster was going to be left at home at my son's mothers for a week.. he's had so much more fun at mine, we were buying him a see saw and some other treats when we saw the Degu.

We'd keep Mr Hamster, but i'm not sure it's a fair swap for my firstborn. I'd want some cash too :p

posted on Apr, 4 2015 @ 02:21 PM
link   
a reply to: Trueman

We dont keep any other pets at the mo, i'd love cats or another dog, but it just would not work as we're away fairly often.

posted on Apr, 4 2015 @ 03:44 PM
link   
Isn't a Dagu an Italian person?

posted on Apr, 4 2015 @ 04:10 PM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse

Spanish or Italian I thought, but I'd expect a fight if I used it...

posted on Apr, 4 2015 @ 04:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: skalla
a reply to: rickymouse

Spanish or Italian I thought, but I'd expect a fight if I used it...

They are chilean. Known as "Ardilla Chilena" (Chilean Squirrel). Here a video with babies just 5 days old.

posted on Apr, 4 2015 @ 04:51 PM
link   
a reply to: Trueman

I was referring to Rickymouse's allusion to insulting folk from Italy, or Spain

But yar, i did read they are Chilean. It's odds on i'll be getting a couple at some point soon, just gotta clear out the spare room - i needed an excuse to finally tackle that so it's all good!

posted on Apr, 4 2015 @ 07:57 PM
link   
Hamsters are best kept alone - they are solitary animals and don't even like each other much. Apparently, they only get together to mate.

In your position, I'd probably keep hold of the hamster until his time came and then consider getting the Degus.

If you're wanting a pair, it would be best to get them together as introducing a new little friend to an established pet can be tricky.

I tried that with gerbils, and they fought. Since I don't believe in confining rodents to cages, it made life a bit difficult. I had to let them out separately which was hard on the first one who was used to having the run of the place in the evenings.

I bought two male rats together once and they used to fight during the evening, but snuggle up to sleep at bedtime.

You might be better off getting two female degus (if you decide to get some) - I think there will be less chance of fighting. But get them while they're really young or you might find another problem to deal with

edit on 4-4-2015 by berenike because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join