It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

If you can't pay your student loan, we will take your drivers licence.

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 2 2015 @ 08:06 PM
link   
I wasn't sure where to put this, I figured that it should come under political madness because that's what it is.

Does this make any sense to you?

here is a snippet of the article

So essentially, if you can’t make enough money to pay back your student debt, the state will correct the situation by taking away the license you need to get to work, and just in case, through some feat of ingenuity like a taxi or public transportation, you should happen to find a way to get there anyway, they’ll strip you of your professional license so that you can’t work period.

www.zerohedge.com...

We have a law here in my state in Australia that if you can't pay a fine imposed by the traffic department, they will take your drivers licence

Similar to the student loan case, as in it restricts the person affected from working

What do some of these people end up doing, well, drive without a licence, rack up more fines that they can't pay

Hmm! what do you think?
edit on 2-4-2015 by keenasbro because: To add

posted on Apr, 2 2015 @ 08:15 PM
link   
a reply to: keenasbro
Almost as good as if you can't afford for Obama Care we'll Fine you.
Great Country, for the Rich and soon, nobody else.

posted on Apr, 2 2015 @ 08:21 PM
link   
I absolutely loathe the SDRO with an unfathomable passion. But I've wondered recently - do the business restrictions imposed constitute a violation of the human right to an education?

Is a drivers license considered a qualification? It's bad enough they circumvent your right to due process & your right to presumption of innocence. If we rape, maim or murder someone we're entitled to a trial, but instantaneously presumed guilty for a traffic infringement, or sometimes even less? Have people forgotten their rights?

posted on Apr, 2 2015 @ 08:28 PM
link   
I have not checked the sources thoroughly so I do not know how valid this claim is.

If this is the direction this country is going, then I do not know what to write. Suspending one's license for delinquent civil debts is something that Florida does routinely. Many make excuses for this practice and preach personal responsibility but the reality is, laws like this hurt not only the person directly affected, but society as a whole.

John Oliver had a great piece on the affect of suspending one's driver's license for civil fines. I have NOT had a license for years and can tell you, not being able to drive makes finding decent work extremely difficult. Minimum wage is often not enough for one to live on, much less pay off debt.

It does seem like there is a push to make being in default on a loan a crime.

posted on Apr, 2 2015 @ 08:30 PM
link   
It's the same way in the State of Kentucky. They can strip you of all your professional licenses if you do not pay your student loans. They can also prevent you from acquiring a professional license to begin with. Student loan debt is nothing more than legal slavery.

Default Student Loan (Kentucky)
edit on 4/2/2015 by EternalSolace because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 2 2015 @ 08:35 PM
link   
a reply to: jrod

I'm convinced that some of this is done deliberately to push people into the illegal economy. This, the credit checks for jobs (even when they don't involve money), etc. It's like they intentionally create as many hurdles as possible to stop people from being able to get back on their feet legally.

posted on Apr, 2 2015 @ 08:39 PM
link   

Arizona (AZ) license needs no renewal until age 65.
Get one while you can.

Here is a good read:
The Student-Loan Bubble Is Creating a Generation of Indentured Servants
www.fool.com...

The first indentured servants arose centuries ago out of necessity and desperation on both sides of the Atlantic. An unskilled laborer from pre-industrial England might need to save up multiple years' worth of wages to book passage to America. On the other side of the ocean, plantation owners and wealthy merchants had a tough time massing the labor they needed to expand their isolated enterprises.

The solution was indentured servitude.

Why can you not discharge your student loans in a bankruptcy filing?
Maybe we need more debt slaves to service the 0.1%.

Student loans need to be dischargeable through bankruptcy. It's yet another bankster crime that they aren't. They used to be. In the mid-70s, when inflation got going, the banksters started looking for any way they could take away the advantage inflation gives to borrowers. They shrewdly picked students, and got the presstitutes to write up stories about irresponsible teenagers and dirty hippies ripping off student loan programs. Then in the '80s, when the backlash against Reagan started building, the story changed to wealthy doctors and lawyers blowing off student loans. That's why they're not dischargeable, and subject to bizarre and ruinous penalties.

That was changed during Bush The Younger's reign. Back in 2005. ... Hmmm ALMOST as if the banks did the projections and knew that this would happen. Got that law change out of the way before the bottom fell out. Almost like someone saw it coming.... Nah. ...

Once there was a safety valve--it is gone now.

Funny how our government can be totally, irrevocably, insanely
irresponsible, but when a consumer goes into debt, then loses
his or her job because NO jobs are available (and because college
tuition has gone to the moon) that person is turned into a serf
for life.

Neo-feudalism.

"The Matrix" movies weren't too far off, with their image of humans
as living illusory lives, when in reality they were hooked up to energy
extraction systems.

edit on 2-4-2015 by wasaka because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 2 2015 @ 08:39 PM
link   
I have 50k in student loan debts im so tierd of this scare propaganda!!! 😠😠😠😠 by the way S&F a reply to: keenasbro

edit on 2-4-2015 by ATF1886 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 2 2015 @ 08:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: keenasbro
Hmm! what do you think?

How about people pay what they owe? Or do not get into a debt you cannot pay. Or is that too simple!
edit on 2-4-2015 by hellobruce because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 2 2015 @ 08:45 PM
link   
How about - Those in government who do not get the country out of debt by the end of their term in office; be stripped of all their wealth.
Seems fair to me.

posted on Apr, 2 2015 @ 08:49 PM
link   
when pulled over just tell the police you are not a driver

and therefore need no license

a driver is someone who makes money using public roads

always say you are a traveler

thelawdictionary.org...

note the words 'EMPLOYED IN CONDUCTING ..."

edit on pm420153008America/ChicagoThu, 02 Apr 2015 20:53:55 -0500_4000000 by Another_Nut because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 2 2015 @ 08:51 PM
link   

Interesting, this law has been around since 1990, is it only now an issue because some States are trying to get rid of it?

It also sounds like it's only used when all other avenues have been exhausted.

posted on Apr, 2 2015 @ 09:00 PM
link   
a reply to: hellobruce

How is one supposed to pay 'what they owe' when they can not find work?

Let's say hypothetically one finds ways to pay off the loan in a less than legal way, if there is no paper trial to that kind of income and a debtor pays off the loan, would that not look suspicious on say a tax audit?

It really does seem like there is a push to make a class of serfdom or prison. Your post sums up the ignorant response that many parrot simply because they do not know what it means to be broke and in debt.

edit on 2-4-2015 by jrod because: [/end]

posted on Apr, 2 2015 @ 09:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: hellobruce

originally posted by: keenasbro
Hmm! what do you think?

How about people pay what they owe? Or do not get into a debt you cannot pay. Or is that too simple!

How about if they are going to let students get into that much debt there should be jobs there for them to work at to pay off the debt...or do you prefer it when everyone is on minimum wage at mickey d's and in a world of perpetual debt ?

posted on Apr, 2 2015 @ 09:14 PM
link   
Maybe those people should not have borrowed 100k to get a degree in gender studies.
The article only says what happened in a few cases. Did they just not pay or were they unable to pay?

posted on Apr, 2 2015 @ 09:33 PM
link   
Call it:

DEBTOR'S PRISON - HOUSE ARREST

That's exactly what it is.

posted on Apr, 2 2015 @ 09:34 PM
link   

They do this to dead beat dads. Is this any different?

posted on Apr, 2 2015 @ 09:35 PM
link   
Can't afford your loan? Here, let's make it even harder for you to find work to make the money to pay for it!

posted on Apr, 2 2015 @ 09:38 PM
link   
It's not a new tactic for a debtor to decide that if you can't them for some reason, they will charge you more. Even though I agree that you should pay back what you owe, I never understood the logic of how an added fee was supposed to make money that wasn't there to begin with magically materialize.

And, yes, it is terribly counter-productive to basically rob a person of their means of transportation and getting to and from a job which would be where you get your payment from ... Pounding a person with penalties that will more or less ensure they will never crawl out of the hole they've gotten into isn't going to get any debtor their money.

posted on Apr, 2 2015 @ 09:39 PM
link   
P.T. Barnum is laughing out loud.

<<   2  3 >>

join