It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Firearms Experts Debunk Conservative Media's Favorite Gun Talking Points

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 2 2015 @ 06:24 PM
link   
New Harvard Research Reveals How Conservative Media Infects The National Conversation On Guns

Conservative Media: Strict Gun Laws Encourage Mass Shootings Experts: Strong Gun Laws Help Reduce Homicide.

Conservative Media: Concealed Carry Laws Reduce Crime Experts: Concealed Carry Laws Don't Reduce Crime Rates.

Conservative Media: Link Between Firearm Access And Suicide Is Bogus. Experts: Having Guns In The Home Increases Risk Of Suicide.

Conservative Media: Guns Are Mostly Used As Tool For Self-Defense. Experts: Guns Are Not Used In Self-Defense More Often Than They Are Used In

Conservative Media: Guns In The Home Protect Victims Of Domestic Violence. Experts: Having A Gun In The Home Increases Risk That A Woman Living There Will Be The Victim Of Homicide

Conservative Media: Background Checks Are Ineffective. Experts: Background Checks Can Help Keep Guns Out Of The Hands Of Violent People

This is exactly what I have been saying..pretty much any talking point gun rights advocates have is complete BS.

I, for one, do not want to take guns from law abiding citizens. What I want is for it to be extremely hard for the criminals and mentally unstable people to get guns. I want guns in the hands of the rational people.

+24 more 
posted on Apr, 2 2015 @ 06:32 PM
link   
To my knowledge, laws don't stop criminals from getting guns.

+15 more 
posted on Apr, 2 2015 @ 06:36 PM
link   
a reply to: Onslaught2996

.......Harvard researchers are gun experts?

Im sorry how does that equate?

Yes im sure this thread is right on point........

More conservative hate from a "tolerant" progressive liberal.......

+10 more 
posted on Apr, 2 2015 @ 06:36 PM
link   

"Media matters","Harvard" firearms experts?Ha,ha ha ha ha haha!

+3 more 
posted on Apr, 2 2015 @ 06:39 PM
link   

Of course you don't.

But you realize that this is dishonestly written don't you?

First one:

They go from mass shootings to using a bunch of experts talking about homicide as if mass shootings are the majority of homocides.

In the second we go from concealed carry giving people the better chance of defending themselves which helps reduce crime rates to across the board reduction of crimes rates.

So if I own a gun, I'm more likely to commit suicide or am I more likely to use the gun to commit my suicide? If I am suicidal, keeping my from owning a gun isn't going to stop me from suicide, it just means I'll use something else.

#4 is just flat out disingenuous. Of course more people use a gun to commit a crime than use one to defend oneself. You are relying on the idea that more people who are law abiding would be put in the situation to be able to sue their legal firearm legitimately to defend themselves, than there are people who simply have a firearm and will use it to commit whatever crime they want.

Again, this is deceptive. We are making the leap from a woman protecting herself from domestic violence to a women being the victim of a homicide. While the two can overlap, they aren't perfectly analogous.

Considering everyone buying a gun now has to submit to background checks ... on that last one.

Also, where is the actual link to the study with the actual experts in question?

+4 more 
posted on Apr, 2 2015 @ 06:39 PM
link   
I don't think I'll be trusting Harvard when it comes to anti gun "studies".

dailycaller.com...

Harvard University’s School of Public Health is set to receive a $350 million donation to study “gun violence” and other “complex health threats challenging the U.S. and the world,” CNN reports. The donation, the largest ever received by the university, is being made by the Morningside Foundation, run by the descendants of Hong Kong real estate tycoon T.H. Chan, for whom the school will be renamed.

Billionaire bankrolling of the anti-gun movement is perhaps the most significant new development in the gun control debate in our lifetime. Last year, anti-gun activist Michael Bloomberg donated $350 million to Johns Hopkins University’s School of Public Health, already named for Bloomberg, based upon his previous donations. Bloomberg, the Washington Post reported, also “has committed to spending $50 million of his personal fortune this year to build a national grass-roots movement that will pressure lawmakers to pass more restrictive gun laws.”

It's not as if they're some non biased source of knowledge.

www.washingtonpost.com...

By their own description, 72 percent of those teaching at American universities and colleges are liberal and 15 percent are conservative, says the study being published this week. The imbalance is almost as striking in partisan terms, with 50 percent of the faculty members surveyed identifying themselves as Democrats and 11 percent as Republicans.

edit on 2-4-2015 by DAVID64 because: (no reason given)

+2 more 
posted on Apr, 2 2015 @ 06:41 PM
link   
Media matters and Harvard research ha ha ha. A match made in hell. Well if these two fine institutions debunk it then it must be true. No reason ever to talk about the subject again because the geniuses have spoken on the topic. Thanks for putting this whole subject to rest. I would like to discuss it further but I am on my way down to the police station to turn in all of my guns. LOL!!!

edit on 2-4-2015 by Enochstask because: (no reason given)

+6 more 
posted on Apr, 2 2015 @ 06:46 PM
link   

Here is a gun rights talking point for you....

If you don't think that people should own guns, how will you take them away?

You being unarmed and all.

+3 more 
posted on Apr, 2 2015 @ 06:48 PM
link   
Looks like another shining example of paid peer review guarantees.

+9 more 
posted on Apr, 2 2015 @ 06:54 PM
link   
Fortunately the Constitution still protects my rights from people like you.

Owning a gun is not causation to commit a crime.
edit on 2015/4/2 by Metallicus because: eta

+15 more 
posted on Apr, 2 2015 @ 06:59 PM
link   
"Hey look everyone! I found a biased source that backs up all the stupid crap I've been spouting!"

Very impressive...

posted on Apr, 2 2015 @ 07:07 PM
link   
Here's food for thought. I've been around guns all my life. I've been around friends that have multiple guns all my life, hunting fishing self-defense target practice you name it I've seen them.

Now by far, of all these thousands of guns I know about. The vast majority of them are in somebody's gun case or closet. Proper Gunowners have them under lock and key or with trigger locks. Most tend to take them out and shoot them once or twice a year. Throughout the life of the millions upon millions of guns The vast majority of them will never kill a human being.

So the problem is not guns. The problem is the badguys that point them and shoot at people..

This comment is probably superfluous, but I think we should lay the blame where the blame goes on the badguys. I would also go as far to say all those good guns sitting at home in closets or gun cases are being discriminated against.

END GUN RACISIM NOW !!!!!!!

Edit; Please please somebody ask me about the fishing gun!!!!!!
edit on 2-4-2015 by Greathouse because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 2 2015 @ 07:08 PM
link   
I think this study shows the arrogance of Harvard and MM more than any threat from guns. They think the public is so stupid this will be taken this at face value because...you know..Harvard. If they aren't just trying to sway public opinion with crafty half-truths they must actually believe the crap they are spewing which is even more telling as to their blind agenda driven ignorance. As far as the uber rich funding anti-gun propaganda that is a proven non starter. They might as well just torch a bunch of their cash. Bloomberg got his wallet handed to him in his last folly.
edit on 4/2/2015 by howmuch4another because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 2 2015 @ 07:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: Onslaught2996

I, for one, do not want to take guns from law abiding citizens. What I want is for it to be extremely hard for the criminals and mentally unstable people to get guns. I want guns in the hands of the rational people.

Although I agree, that guns should not be in the hands of criminals and nutjobs, it would also be nice if they kept planes out of the hands of criminals and nutjobs. But as far as guns go, one also has to wonder why it's ok for some criminals to have guns, like wall street bankers and most factions within government and not others? It seems like us law abiding citizens are caught in the middle of a turf war between two sets of criminals, one that legitimizes itself and demonizes the other. Odd, very odd.

Cheers - Dave

posted on Apr, 2 2015 @ 07:13 PM
link   
Who are their "experts"?
I didn't see anything that said why these people's opinions should matter any more than anyone else.

I can call my dorm roomie an "expert" before I interview him for my college "study" but that doesn't make him one now does it?

ETA: I'd also be curious to know the political leanings of these guys since it's pretty difficult these days to find someone without a strong opinion on this matter.
edit on 2-4-2015 by coldkidc because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 2 2015 @ 07:13 PM
link   

I want guns in the hands of the rational people.

Like who? Give us an example of a "rational" and responsible firearm possessor.

If you think agents of the state are rational people, then by your own qualifications you should never have a gun.

So who, then? Who are the "rational people" of which you speak?

posted on Apr, 2 2015 @ 07:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: NthOther

I want guns in the hands of the rational people.

Like who? Give us an example of a "rational" and responsible firearm possessor.

If you think agents of the state are rational people, then by your own qualifications you should never have a gun.

So who, then? Who are the "rational people" of which you speak?

Pay no attention to the people that make promises to 'let' you keep your guns, while saying that they only want to take guns away from the 'bad guys'.
Just like when they tell you that they don't want to take guns away from hunters while they are trying to pass a bill that bans guns that are legal to hunt with in 37 states.

posted on Apr, 2 2015 @ 07:29 PM
link   

1. I know this is garbage because you can look at the statistics and blatantly see that defensive gun use is above and away more common, like 5 to 10 times more common, than gun violence. This can be seen in a study by the CDC no less.

www.cnsnews.com...

2. The argument I have heard is not that gun control encourages mass shootings, but rather that these shootings happen in gun free zones because it makes people sitting ducks. There is an important difference.

3. If gun control actually made a difference, then places like DC, Chicago, and the like should have some of the lowest crime rates in the country up until a few years ago. It's actually the opposite.

4. If gun control actually correlated with lower violence rates, then the UK, which has some of Europe's strictest gun laws, should have some of the lowest violence rates. Instead, it has, across the board, some of the highest.

5. If gun control actually made a difference, then we should be seeing a huge spike in Chicago in violence...we're not.

6. Criminals will use whatever weapon is at their disposal. For example:

www.parliament.uk...

During the year to June 2012 there were approximately 29,613 recorded offences involving knives or other sharp instruments

If it were increased by a factor of five to make it on par with the U.S. as far as population (U.S. is roughly 300 million while UK is roughly 60 million), there would be roughly 150k offenses, which is actually a great increase over the 100k or so that the CDC found for all gun related injuries and deaths, and you'll notice that this is including ALL injuries and deaths, which means that it includes suicides and attempted suicides as well.

Gun control does absolutely nothing to stop criminals. Period. All it would do is disarm those that actually use firearms for self defensive purposes, which has already been outlined.

posted on Apr, 2 2015 @ 07:36 PM
link   

Yah, the experts all agree and official sources say… how media-istic is that?

You know what BS, MS and PHD stand for?

Bull S***, More S***, [P]ile it (H)igher and (D)eeper.

posted on Apr, 2 2015 @ 07:55 PM
link   
So we should distrust all educated people and instead trust people with no education or qualifications instead?!
That sure sounds intelligent.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join