It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

At least 15 dead as gunmen attact university in Kenya

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 2 2015 @ 08:13 AM
link   

Al-Shabab gunmen attacked a college in northeast Kenya early Thursday, targeting Christians and killing at least 15 people and wounding 60 others, witnesses said. The president said it is now a hostage situation.

When the gunmen arrived at his dormitory he could hear them opening doors and asking if the people who had hidden inside whether they were Muslims or Christians.

"If you were a Christian you were shot on the spot," he said. "With each blast of the gun I thought I was going to die."

At least 15 dead as gunmen attact university in Kenya

Every day it seems there is another headline like this. It is so very sad. I cannot image what those people were going through listening to the men make their way towards them.

posted on Apr, 2 2015 @ 08:16 AM
link   
a reply to: Martin75

Such brutality and ignorance. At a college too, where bright men and women were trying to better themselves and the lives of their families...

It is so disheartening.

posted on Apr, 2 2015 @ 08:24 AM
link   
Al Shabaab...
So bad that even Al Qaeda apparently hate them...

Such strange times in Africa...

It's a continental warzone between Christians and Muslims with the likes of Anti-Balaka & Boko Haram also...

International Community need to fix this bull soon before it spills out of the birthplace of Humanity!

Such irony that it could be the end place as well!

posted on Apr, 2 2015 @ 08:32 AM
link   
a reply to: CharlieSpeirs

What should the international community do?

Kill both sides?

Whatever happens it's only a matter of time until another group pops up and does the same things. So what's the other option, ban religions?

That's actually a semi serious question. These people's actions are taken based on their beliefs, beliefs they were taught and not birthed with. Why did we stop teaching racism in an attempt to end the hatred which lead to violence, but continue to allow the teaching of religion which results in the same pattern of violence?
edit on 2-4-2015 by MisterSpock because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 2 2015 @ 08:37 AM
link   
a reply to: MisterSpock

Well they didn't mind doing that in the Middle East or Germany between the Cold War and Gulf War 2...

Or Kosovo...

Ahh NATO & the world superpowers...
Happy to do the leg work if there is oil, historical artifacts for the BM or Smithsonian or indeed precious metals to be obtained and pillaged.

I think we all know what the International Community should do...
We just may differ on the means and the hows...

But protecting the people stuck in the middle, I'd have thought we could agree on that MisterSpock!

re Religion: I'd be surprised if these people were literate enough to read their respective Holy Books...

But always literate enough to to say Muhammad or Jesus told them too...

People shouldn't fall for this Communistic crap, imo!

posted on Apr, 2 2015 @ 08:40 AM
link   

I agree the people should be protected, but it always just seems to be a big circle and the only time anyone intervenes is after a massive loss of life.

It would be nice to get out in front of the ball for once.
edit on 2-4-2015 by MisterSpock because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 2 2015 @ 08:47 AM
link   
a reply to: MisterSpock

Without a doubt it's easier said than done.

But the heart wants what the heart wants.

& this continual war on terror is selective and disheartening to say the least.

posted on Apr, 2 2015 @ 09:06 AM
link   
Quick question, kinda related,

What is the difference in the groups? Al Qaeda, ISIS, Al Shaab, etc

Am I wrong that they are Muslim and fighting to make everyone Muslim? I guess I don't understand why they aren't one group. (sorry if this is a silly question) But are there different kinds of Muslim, just as different Baptist (just picked this one for an example) communities may have differences?
edit on 4/2/1515 by Martin75 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 2 2015 @ 09:18 AM
link   

There are a few different sects of Muslims...

Personally, of the group's you listed I'd only consider Al Qaeda as Muslims...

I have a theory that ISIS is more antitheist hijacking...
& Al Shabaab is a growing tribe using religion as a recruitment tool...

Al Qaeda however did start out wanting the right thing, but going the wrong way about it.

Especially when they started beheading aid workers and journalists in the early 2000s when they became most famous.

As it stands, I think all of those groups associate or align themselves with extremist Sunni Muslims...

Rather than Shia Muslims.

But could possibly be Wahhabi too... The most extreme of extremism.

But killing Christians, or anyone who is not at war with Islam, is a major sin...

So their motives surpass my knowledge of the regional strife occuring.

ISIS I have a better knowledge of, and Assad is a scumbag, so the birth of an extreme group to counter an extreme tyrant was always on the cards, religion or not.

But Al Shabaab, I don't know much about them to go into much detail.

I'll have to do some more research!

edit on 2-4-2015 by CharlieSpeirs because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 2 2015 @ 09:29 AM
link   

Thanks Charlie, that helps somewhat to see the differences!

posted on Apr, 2 2015 @ 09:43 AM
link   
For them to do this on Easter week is even worse.

A message of intent is being portrayed with this attack.

Disgraceful!

Hope all the attackers are dead by the end of this siege.

posted on Apr, 2 2015 @ 10:15 AM
link   
These Neanderthals can't have people learning at universities, stay dumb dammit is their strategy for humanity.
They see murdering Christians as nothing more than first class tickets to paradise. If they catch them alive and convict them, they should line em up against a wall, have women shoot them then bury them with swine, post it all on the internet and get it viral.

posted on Apr, 2 2015 @ 12:31 PM
link   
Latest reports suggest that the number of fatalities is estimated to be around 70 people.

We have to put a stop to this madness.

posted on Apr, 2 2015 @ 12:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: Freeborn
Latest reports suggest that the number of fatalities is estimated to be around 70 people.

We have to put a stop to this madness.

Now now. we cant go restricting their practice of their religious practices can we? I mean they are just doing as their religion commands right? just like those pizza shop owners in Indiana right?

posted on Apr, 2 2015 @ 12:53 PM
link   

It's sad in this day and age people still have a primitive mentality. Instead of rising above and solving our differences using peaceful means, humanity still wants to reach for a gun or knife to solve their deep seeded hate and anger. Humanity has taken a turn for the worst.

posted on Apr, 2 2015 @ 01:11 PM
link   
Here is an updated new link
Al Shabaab storms Kenyan university, 70 killed

Several hours into the incident, Interior Minister Joseph Nkaissery told reporters in Garissa that the death toll was at least 70, with 79 wounded, but the siege was almost over. About 500 out of 815 students were accounted for, he said.

posted on Apr, 2 2015 @ 01:28 PM
link   
Shocking, Absolutely Shocking...not the fact 70 people have died, but the fact this thread was started over 5 hours ago and only had 15 reply's...Speaks Volumes.
edit on 2-4-2015 by Soloprotocol because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 2 2015 @ 01:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: Soloprotocol
Shocking, Absolutely Shocking...not the fact 70 people have died, but the fact this thread was started over 5 hours ago and only had 15 reply's...Speaks Volumes.

Looks like that number is now at 147

"UPDATE: 147 fatalities confirmed in the Garissa Attack," The Kenya National Disaster Operation Centre said on its official Twitter feed, adding that the operation had ended.

edit on 2-4-2015 by rktspc because: adding quote from article

posted on Apr, 2 2015 @ 02:02 PM
link   
a reply to: Soloprotocol

I was thinking the same (the only reason I am late to the party is I was asleep today - doing night shifts).. If this was London, or NY, or Paris, it would be on page 15 by now.

As for the attack, it is quite shocking - Al Shabab singling out the Christians and slaughtering almost 150 in cold blood. I am glad to hear that the Kenyan security services have finally managed to end the siege, but the death toll is far too high for somewhere that should be expecting attacks by these monsters.

posted on Apr, 2 2015 @ 02:04 PM
link   
Death toll in Kenya university attack rises to 147, siege over: government body

"UPDATE: 147 fatalities confirmed in the Garissa Attack," The Kenya National Disaster Operation Centre said on its official Twitter feed, adding that the operation had ended

Here is the last update. I am so glad that they were finally able to bring this to an end but it breaks my heart that so many lost their lives.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join