It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.
Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.
Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.
Questions swirled Wednesday over a video reportedly taken by someone inside the cabin of the doomed Germanwings plane shortly before it crashed -- a video that reporters for two publications say was found on a memory chip that could have come from a passenger's cellphone.
Marseille Prosecutor Brice Robin, who is overseeing the French criminal investigation into the crash, told The Associated Press that investigators had found no such video. But in a statement Wednesday, he left open the possibility that such video had been found but not given to authorities.
Marseille prosecutor Brice Robin, in charge of the criminal inquiry into the crash, told CNN that "so far no videos were used in the crash investigation."
He added, "A person who has such a video needs to immediately give it to the investigators."
Robin's comments follow claims by two publications, German daily Bild and French Paris Match, of a cell phone video showing the harrowing final seconds from on board the flight as it crashed into the French Alps on March 24. Co-pilot Andreas Lubitz is accused of deliberately bringing down the plane, killing all 150 on board.
Paris Match and Bild reported that the video was recovered from a phone at the wreckage site.
The two publications described the supposed video but did not post it on their websites. They said that they watched the video, which was found by a source close to the investigation.
"One can hear cries of 'My God' in several languages," Paris Match reported. "Metallic banging can also be heard more than three times, perhaps of the pilot trying to open the cockpit door with a heavy object. Towards the end, after a heavy shake, stronger than the others, the screaming intensifies. Then nothing."
"It is a very disturbing scene," said Julian Reichelt, editor-in-chief of Bild online.
originally posted by: khnum
For 8 minutes the Pilot belted on that door and the passengers knew there was a problem,so where are the cell phone calls,sms,text messages and videos?...if I was a reporter with such material the authorities wouldn't be getting anything.
originally posted by: Rocker2013
a reply to: Vasa Croe
If there is a video out there, that reporters took from the crash site, there are serious questions to be answered.
This should have been a secure site, no journalist should have been able to be there to take anything away from the crash site, at all.
If these journalists did in fact take a memory card belonging to the dead, it's not only a criminal act, it's utterly and completely morally reprehensible. These people are disgusting.
The German and French authorities should now be seeking these individuals to seize whatever it is they have in their posession relating to the victims.
Freedom of the press is one thing, abhorrent abuse of victims is an entirely different, and entirely sickening thing.
originally posted by: Vasa Croe
Yeah....I didn't even think about that. That would be a MAJOR no-no. Taking evidence from a crash site before the investigation.
(from the article).
"I did not know what he meant by that at the time, but now it's clear," Maria said, adding that Lubitz, 27, sometimes woke up at night screaming, "We're going down!" in terror.
Lubitz’s ex-girlfriend has claimed in an interview with Bild that the co-pilot had been planning to do something to "make everyone remember him.”
originally posted by: khnum
a reply to: rockintitz
Well an investigative reporter would probably be checking Orange and the other major cell phone providers to see if there was any outages,in truth I dont know why no calls got out and that includes the so called solution proposed on the link given to me by another poster on this thread.
Menichini said he believed the cell phones would need to be sent to the Criminal Research Institute in Rosny-sous-Bois, near Paris, to be analyzed by specialized technicians working hand in hand with investigators. But none of the cell phones found so far has been sent to the institute, Menichini said.
Asked whether staff involved in the search could have leaked a memory card to the media, Menichini answered with a categorical "no."
Reichelt told CNN's "Erin Burnett: Outfront" that he had watched the video and stood by the report, saying Bild and Paris Match are "very confident" that the clip is real.
He noted that investigators only revealed they'd recovered cell phones from the crash site after Bild and Paris Match published their reports.
"That is something we did not know before. ... Overall we can say many things of the investigation weren't revealed by the investigation at the beginning," he said.