It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are you Superman?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 1 2015 @ 09:57 AM
link   
Short and sweet, some people need to get their heads out of their a$$ and realize what a large vehicle will do, traveling as little as 35 mph. It's gotten to the point that I have video running whenever I'm driving. See that squirrel? The flat one, with his organs splashed around him, that tried to cross at the wrong time? There's a hint. How about that deer, lying beside the road with it's legs in the air, dead. That's about human size. Ever seen a human that's been hit by a car? I have. It's a memory I can do without.
There are traffic lights, with cross walks, just a little way down, so why do they insist on just walking out in to the road without looking? Because they just have to get to little Johnny"s birthday party and they're thinking " my car is right there, right across the street and it's just too much trouble to go all the way to the crosswalk and then back down the other side "? How about you don't get there at all and Little Johnny's birthday is ruined by two State Troopers having to tell him Mommy or Daddy is dead? Are they stupid enough to think they won't get hurt? I've actually had people yell at me, after I've come to a screeching stop, that, "You hit me, I'm gonna be pissed!!" Umm, no, you're going to be on the ground with multiple internal injuries, skin peeled off from sliding down the road, lying in a pool of blood, hoping someone calls 911 quickly. You are not going to be pissed, you're going to be begging for help and hopefully re thinking your whole, "they won't hit me" attitude. That's if you're still alive and didn't have your skull crushed on impact.

Little graphic? Some people need graphic, it seems to be the only way to get through to them.

Same goes for those who open car doors in to traffic without looking to see what's coming. You see them walk out of a store, step off the sidewalk to their car, walk around and open the door, all without even glancing up. Or park, then just throw the door wide open and step out.You do understand that you would be caught between a heavy metal object and a relatively sharp metal door edge? So, in your head, what do you see happening when my 6400 lb truck hits you and slams you in to that edge? That you're gonna get up and kick my ass? That you're going to sue me? Even if you do, does that replace your legs? or put you back together as good as new? Is your family going to be happy with money instead of having you around? Is that money going to, in any way, make up for all the agony you and your family have to go through? I am sick of having to endanger myself and my family, because people are too god damn lazy to go to a cross walk, arrogant enough to think "they won't hit me or stupid enough to think that they're somehow going to come out on top in that situation. If you're one of the people who do this, don't be surprised or blame the driver when it happens. And it will, sooner or later. Not everyone has the reflexes to swerve or stop in time.
Get a clue folks. Heavy vehicle vs soft sack of meat.
You are not going to win

posted on Apr, 1 2015 @ 10:11 AM
link   
a reply to: DAVID64

I know. I suffer right along with you.

I got middle-aged once, too, and it hurt like Hell the understanding that so much of the world was not only wrong if not against me.

My second and third age crises were easier. Maybe yours will be too if you are careful with your driving.

posted on Apr, 1 2015 @ 10:17 AM
link   

Umm, no, you're going to be on the ground with multiple internal injuries, skin peeled off from sliding down the road, lying in a pool of blood, hoping someone calls 911 quickly. You are not going to be pissed

LoL.

So much realism I nearly pissed myself...

You could have received a bill for new underwear David!

Thankfully, you just gave me a big hearty laugh!
Right on!!!

posted on Apr, 1 2015 @ 10:19 AM
link   

People exposed to the carnage of an "accident" understand this. I have the same befuddlement when people walk off curbs, (texting even) and then catch themselves. You saw the curb, did you? Stepped off it and into the street filled with moving cars?

Distracted to death.

My current favorite is backing out of parking stalls. You put it in reverse, look back left, right, and begin backing and whoops, comes some one walking directly behind and you slam the brakes, damn I almost killed you!
They give you hardly a glance…

posted on Apr, 1 2015 @ 10:26 AM
link   

I just finally got my license(wife forced me) and been driving for a little under a year now, and man You are so right. I'm a brand new driver and sometimes I wonder if people had any idea how little experience I had behind the wheel would they just walk in front of my car.

I always say, "everyone assumes every other driver is an expert", and that's not the case at all. The vast majority of us are new or distracted or just not observant enough and that's why car fatalities happen so often. Some people have no idea.

A woman walking in the middle of the road with her baby stroller... you have no idea how this driver who was only driving for a month at the time, came so close to ending your baby's life oh so very early... It scares me every day how quickly i could have ended that life...
edit on 4/1/2015 by PsychoEmperor because: (no reason given)

edit on 4/1/2015 by PsychoEmperor because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 1 2015 @ 10:30 AM
link   
a reply to: Aliensun

It has nothing to do with my age or any "midlife crisis". I'm 50 and I've had 2 tickets in my whole life. How's that for careful driving?

posted on Apr, 1 2015 @ 10:33 AM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

Or look at you as if if you're some sort of mad man, intent on killing them, because of course it's couldn't be their fault for not looking where they're going. Gotta read that latest text or the world may explode.
edit on 1-4-2015 by DAVID64 because: typo

posted on Apr, 1 2015 @ 10:34 AM
link   

It's a two way street-literally.

Some pedestrians are pretty stupid- but i've seen other drivers do some stupid effin things as well -not indicating at a busy roundabout, merging when there is no room to merge, putting the foot down when the lights have changed...

posted on Apr, 1 2015 @ 10:38 AM
link   
a reply to: Thecakeisalie

Yeah, some believe the yellow light means " go faster"

posted on Apr, 1 2015 @ 10:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: DAVID64

Or look at you as if if you're some sort of mad man, intent on killing them, because of course it's couldn't be their fault for not looking where their going. Gotta read that latest text or the world may explode.

Blissfully ignorant. They are right, they have the right of way, the right to die is everyones utmost challenge. Maybe they are suicidal, maybe they want to sue you for everything you own and get a hospital vacation from the modern rat race.

I remember cringing on reading about certain practice in other countries of throwing your kids in front of expensive cars to get a pay out. Then theres these intentional idiots…

posted on Apr, 1 2015 @ 10:52 AM
link   

That is why I have video running when I'm driving. Being in a small town, I don't think anyone would do it on purpose, I think it's just a "small town, little traffic, cross where ever you like" kinda thing. People think everyone's friendly, everyone will stop. But it's not a matter of want as it is can't stop. Small town or not, they'll still sue you in to bankruptcy.

posted on Apr, 1 2015 @ 11:03 AM
link   
I hate cars. They bring out the worst in people...

posted on Apr, 1 2015 @ 11:11 AM
link   
I have to admit I never use cross walks. Personally, I just use the eye contact rule. Just make eye contact, so you both know you've seen each other and just walk across.

It's the same when trying to pull into a lane in your car and they won't let you in. Just turn around and make eye contact, then just pull your car into the lane, trust me, they'll move! But that's just me.

posted on Apr, 1 2015 @ 11:35 AM
link   

Heavy vehicle vs soft sack of meat.

Yep. I often wonder at people walking through parking lots, impervious to the rampaging beasts crawling through the lanes. Chatting on the phone, listening on earphones. Not looking over their shoulders or scouting out the surroundings. Were a car to be a rhinoceros you can bet your bottom dollar they would be very cautious. But no, people seemed inured to this reality.

Years ago when I taught my kids how to drive, I would first walk them up to our car and introduce them. I would say "Kevin" meet " two ton merciless killing machine". "Two ton merciless killing machine, meet Kevin.

For many,I think that somehow there is this sense of entitlement to protection which runs rampant in our society. The motor vehicle laws protect the pedestrian so they need not protect themselves. The law provides safety. I don't know here David exactly what all this is but I too see and understand what you are driving at. (driving at,,,har har)

posted on Apr, 1 2015 @ 01:10 PM
link   
Im going to turn 40 in a few days and i still
Refuse to drive, when i was 5 my dad hit a kid running accross the road on a red light, kid died, i still have nightmares to this day.

posted on Apr, 1 2015 @ 01:18 PM
link   
I got plowed by a car when I was a kid.
It was no contest.
I nearly lost a foot.

posted on Apr, 1 2015 @ 01:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: DAVID64
a reply to: Thecakeisalie

Yeah, some believe the yellow light means " go faster"

I blame Jeff Bridges for that.

new topics