It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What was he thinking?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 29 2015 @ 10:00 PM
link   
Not really a rant just something I wanted to share.
Yesterday I learned that when my great grandmothers brother was 76 years old in 1958 he beat his 77 year old wife to death with a hammer. when the police asked him why he did it he said he " just had an urge to kill her".He was arrested and charged with first degree murder, 4 months later he died of "pneumonia".
edit on 29-3-2015 by Tardacus because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 29 2015 @ 10:06 PM
link   
a reply to: Tardacus

You never said how long they had been married, but if we ignore other reasons, we can assume that the "urge" had been festering for a long time.

posted on Mar, 29 2015 @ 10:06 PM
link   
Grim tale!

People go off for all sorts of reasons. Many of them unpredictable and due to misfire. A lot of mothers who have killed their children (way more than you'd think) are responding to those bizarre urges.

Then again, it could have been something he had suppressed for years. Then, presuming that his time was short, saw no reason to delay any longer. Could have been a single nag. Some critical comment he'd heard a million times in their marriage causing him to finally snap.

Either way, my condolences on the family tragedy. I'm sure it was painful for their children/grandkids, friends and neighbors.

posted on Mar, 29 2015 @ 10:20 PM
link   
He could have been developing dementia.
I have seen an elderly man become convinced that his wife of over 50 years was a German spy.
He became violent and had to be put in a home.
It is sad, but true.

posted on Mar, 29 2015 @ 11:18 PM
link   
Hey look at it this way, at least you found out. My family has secrets they won't tell us about. All I know is the grandparents or great grandparents had to move from town to town for some reason, and that somewhere back in the family tree, witchcraft was involved. I sometimes ponder the existence of generational curses. Oh and our family moved here from Germany, one migration in the 1850s, and another bunch came over in the 1950s. The 1

950s, post war period makes me wonder. About nazis. And my uncle was a nuclear scientist who worked on the bombs. I do know of some confirmed instances of molestation and incest. If it happened to me I was too young to remember. But my mom was molested by her dad and fully raped by her older brother at least twice that I knkw of. And all that is just my

moms side of the family. I've never met my father. He was my moms pimp and didn't want anything to do with her after she wanted to keep me and wouldn't abort me like the last time she got pregnant which was by a john. So who knows what kind of baggage my father's side has been carrying around all these years. I can at least take pride that I have broken the cycle

of evil, and seperated myself from the majority of my family. It's for the best. And I couldn't have done it and started my new life without the undying love of my girlfriend. Love is the most powerful force in existence, I'm completely convinced of that. I hope and pray forbmy family to heal, and I like to envision a time in the future when we can all reconnect with total honesty, love and complete forgiveness. But right now I need to do this for myself.

posted on Mar, 30 2015 @ 12:39 AM
link   
a reply to: 3n19m470

My dad was an Austrian WWII orphan that was adopted by Americans.

Unfortunately,he was unwilling to talk about it-I was obviously extremely curious when I found out.

I hope family curses aren't genetic,because I can't tell you how strange it is to see old war pics and see "myself" in SS uniforms.

posted on Mar, 30 2015 @ 12:46 AM
link   

Some people are just not all there from birth-and sometimes they can hide it until a later age.

It's horrible what happened,but you are in no way responsible for actions that you had nothing to do with.

Don't let your subconscious start telling you that that kind of violence is genetic and that you might start getting like that.

Even violent killers make the choice to kill.It is all THEIR fault.

posted on Mar, 30 2015 @ 12:58 AM
link   
My grandmother cared for my great-grandmother for about 30 years. She had Alzheimer's, and tried to burn down the house twice, because she felt like it. After the second attempt, plus a multitude of other reasons (wandering, hair-trigger violence, etc) she had her put in a home for safety. Your great-grandmother's brother also could have been losing his mind to old age, quite literally.

3n19m470m, I hear you on the family history mysteries. Our Russian ancestors' tracks dead-end outside Moscow in the latter part of the 19th century. Try as I might, it's utterly impossible to trace the family line any further. I suspect name changes & document destruction, possibly having to do with self-preservation (the country, at the time, wasn't exactly warm & welcoming to certain groups) The surname is very unique, it should be easy to find in records, but nope, they just...stop, completely & go no earlier.

posted on Mar, 30 2015 @ 01:58 AM
link   
a reply to: FalcoFan

Yeah, I know how it feels to be curious... But that would really trip me out to see pictures like you've seen. I'd like to think if I ever had kids, that when they got old enough I would be able to be completely honest with them about most things. I mean things like sexual encounters I would leave out. But then again I haven't yet lived through a period of time that was as notorious and tumultuous where I was directly involved as our ww2 era elders were... so since i wasn't there I guess I can't say what I would do. But I think I would want the truth to come out and be passed along to my descendants for the historical value of it at the very least. It just bugs me when information like that goes with them to the grave. We have to live in the world they helped to create, so we deserve to know what the H-E-double-hockey-sticks is going on! LoL

Cheers to you and I have sympathy for the burden you carry. Have you tried doing any reasearch with what little info you have? Like do you know what division he served in or anything? Its none of our business so I dont expect you to post anything here, but I was just considering for your own peace of mind.

posted on Mar, 30 2015 @ 02:16 AM
link   
That's the kind of story you don't tell your wife/girlfriend.
edit on 30-3-2015 by Trueman because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 30 2015 @ 02:20 AM
link   
a reply to: Nyiah
I haven't had the money to do the proper research but I plan to when I can. Its not really that expensive to get started so its more a matter of procrastination. When I do have extra cash, I don't think to do it, then when it comes to my mind, I find that I cannot afford it at that moment. With Russia, I can definitely picture how you might have trouble picking up where the trail left off, since they likely did everything they could to ensure that nobody would be able to.

I come from the same family as Hollywood actress Michelle Pfeifer. I don't know her personally although we are approximately 2nd or 3rd cousins, but I would have to check to be sure. I bet she has done some research on our family, but I won't contact her out of the blue.

posted on Mar, 30 2015 @ 03:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: 3n19m470
a reply to: Nyiah
I haven't had the money to do the proper research but I plan to when I can. Its not really that expensive to get started so its more a matter of procrastination. When I do have extra cash, I don't think to do it, then when it comes to my mind, I find that I cannot afford it at that moment. With Russia, I can definitely picture how you might have trouble picking up where the trail left off, since they likely did everything they could to ensure that nobody would be able to.

I have a feeling hiring a genealogist for that line of ours will be pricy by the end of it. I fully intend to do it some day, regardless, it's a mystery that even drove my grandmother crazy her whole life. Her grandmother & grandfather (my great-great-grandmother & grandfather) came from Russia, and never said a word about their homeland to anyone. It's like it never existed for them. They left Russia, stayed in Poland (Prussia at the time) for a short while, then left for the US. Beyond an address in a little town near Moscow, there's nothing to go on. At ALL. Their names appeared in a couple of Jewish registers in Poland, then nothing. This leads us to believe they were Russian Jews driven out of Russia, I'd really, really like to know someday their origins. I have ONE lone photo of her, with my great-grandmother & her sister as young children, my great-great-grandmother's expression is one of barely hidden years of sorrow.
For some reason, the photo resonates with me on a visceral level. Like she's pleading to this day for us to remember something, or uncover something.

I come from the same family as Hollywood actress Michelle Pfeifer. I don't know her personally although we are approximately 2nd or 3rd cousins, but I would have to check to be sure. I bet she has done some research on our family, but I won't contact her out of the blue.

You never know. If you offered up documents proving relation, she may be helpful with family records. It's worth a shot.
edit on 3/30/2015 by Nyiah because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 30 2015 @ 05:32 AM
link   

I just check if that runs in family

posted on Mar, 30 2015 @ 05:36 AM
link   

Dementia.

In fact it a very very very likely certainties.

posted on Mar, 30 2015 @ 06:06 AM
link   

He'd possibly been wanting to to it for decades and realising he was getting on a bit thought he'd reached a time in life when he didn't care about the consequences.

posted on Mar, 30 2015 @ 08:09 AM
link   
cue music-"stop, hammer time."

posted on Mar, 30 2015 @ 11:24 AM
link   
a reply to: 3n19m470

My dad ended up becoming an American Marine-so I think that is one main reason it just wasn't something he would open up about.If I was reading him right,I think he really didn't like talking about it.The same with him being in Vietnam.

Maybe he didn't want me to dwell on it and try to start a 4th Reich by the age of 11,lol.

posted on Mar, 30 2015 @ 12:01 PM
link   
Wow, that's an interesting history for sure!

I can't think of anything that colorful in my family - and since becoming an adult, I've found that most of the noble/interesting stories I was told about our family were false:

"Your Uncle Bob lost his leg in the Korean War." But the truth was that Uncle Bob got drunk, crashed his car on his way to see his mistress, cut his leg, the leg became septic and had to be taken off. What a let-down...

I do have a great-great grandmother who was a mail-order bride. And my maternal grandmother worked at Tinker AFB during WWII, and she was teeny tiny, so the small women were the lucky ones who got shoved into the planes to clean up, shoved up into the planes wings to fix wiring, etc... One day, the Memphis Belle came back from Europe from it's famous mission. My grandma cleaned the inside of the plane out and, man oh man, the stories she would tell...

posted on Mar, 30 2015 @ 02:20 PM
link   

Could have been dementia. I've seen two instances of it in my extended family. My grandmother went into second stage Alzheimer's and got violent and attacked my grandfather. Within a week of being moved into a home, she died of a heart attack.

A distant cousin had a different type of dementia and just after being put on a new medication, he flipped and went after his wife with a pair of scissors.

posted on Mar, 30 2015 @ 05:22 PM
link   
My grandmother was an immigrant from Budapest, Hungary. Her mother brought her, and her 5 brothers and sisters over to America. Dumped all of them in an orphanage and walked away. Everyone was adopted, including my grandmother's twin, Great Aunt Tessie. Only my grandmother stayed in the orphanage. No one wanted her.

At the age of 16, she was kicked out of the orphanage and told to make her way in life. she got a job, doing what, I don't know. She met my grandfather, who was an immigrant himself, from England, as a young boy. I'm not sure how they met, whether it was in passing, or at the same job. Either way, they met and married.

My Pop was apparently a violent drunk. He would get completely hammered and beat the living daylights out of my Nana. She would go to the hospital, get cleaned up, go home to repeat the process, over and over and over and over and over again. One day, my Pop fell off a ladder and broke his hip and was bed bound and became a cripple. He couldn't beat her anymore. But boy could she verbally beat him! And she could physically beat the kids. It became a very toxic household.

Believe it or not, almost everyone in the family has a deathly fear of heights because of my Pop falling off the roof, myself included, though my fear is more shaky heights that are not secure. Some of my family fears are all heights, regardless. They will not get on a ladder to save their life! No lie. Especially my brother. He was helping out around the house, he got up on the ladder, and some jerk decided to make fun of his fear by shaking the ladder. Needless to say, no ladders for him.

Many in my family are alcoholics, used to be alcoholics, or have died of alcoholism. When my Pop went into the hospital with cirrhosis of the liver, we were told he would be coming home in two week and he was fine. I began crying to my father and told he wasn't fine because he was going to die in the hospital, I saw it in a dream. Sure enough, he died in the hospital a short time later. It was the only time I ever saw my father cry.

My father became a violent alcoholic too. But I'm very proud of him because he cleaned himself up. Yes, I had a very troubled childhood because of it, but I've forgiven him. He was in the grips of a disease that he let take over. He came to terms with it and he overcame it. Now he only drinks at dinner. He's not violent. I do wish he didn't drink at all, but I'll take what I can get. I'd hate to see him die of the same thing that killed his father. Especially since he's nearing that age. But my dad is a "Man's Man" and like's to put out the image that everything's fine, even when it's not because he doesn't want people to worry. I think it's also because he happens to know "Worry" is my middle name.

I have quite the family history as well, Lord knows how far back it goes. I only learned of the physical abuse between my Nana and my Pop when I was 19, and needless to say I was completely shocked. I knew there was animosity, just how deep it was, or the why. You could physically feel the anger in the home, even after they both passed away. It's still in the family. There's always been a very weird vibe in the house itself. It's right next door to a church. Even all that good next door couldn't erase all that evil that happened in that house.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join