It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Looking for tips about suggesting alternatives

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 29 2015 @ 06:45 PM
link   
I didn't find any threads about this after doing a quick search in our community...

I was looking for tips or suggestions about talking to others about alternative health treatments in general.

I often come across a wealth of information about different of alternate treatments and ideas for those experiencing a wide range of health challenges. I practice sharing that info as best I can, but am disappointed sometimes by the skepticism I encounter. Usually I'll present some brief info and follow up with links or personal experiences with the idea, and hopefully they look further or give it a try themselves. Sometimes they try and don't get the results, but at least they try.

Kefir is an example. I've had good experiences with this. I'll give this to people and they often like it . Just telling them though doesn't really give them an accurate picture of what I'm talking about.

Other times their lack of belief or understanding may pose a roadblock. Idk, if you have tried this, do you have tips to consider when it comes to this?

posted on Mar, 29 2015 @ 06:57 PM
link   
Check out Dr. Glidden on you tubea reply to: dffrntkndfnml

posted on Mar, 29 2015 @ 06:58 PM
link   
a reply to: dffrntkndfnml
Just keep doing your thing! It will sink in only sometimes, and only with some people, but it's worth it.
My aunt used to get all poetic about apple cider vinegar and how magical it is. Finally, when I was pregnant and afraid to use cold medicine, I tried it. It is, in fact, magical.

posted on Mar, 29 2015 @ 07:20 PM
link   
The best way to do that is to just mention it and maybe give them some things to try. Always mention any side effects you experienced and understand that others may have differences where these things can cause side effects. Kifer is fermented food and some people have problems with fermented foods. They may not react to yeast yet might react to the microbes or enzymes that make the kifer.

My granddaughter won't eat pineapple, so since I had her genetics done, I ran an app for problems associated with proteinases. Her genetics shows she is slow at breaking down the proteinases, so I guess she should not be using them much. This problem could be a problem in the future, but I am not going to suggest eating these proteinases. Strangely she does not like some of the tenderized meats treated with papain. She likes the natural meats. As long as she continues trusting her judgement on this issue, she should be all right.

Good thread OP. Maybe people will say what they know and it will help you learn even more. I learn from listening to others about how food makes them feel then research possible reasons they are thinking the way they are. Often the reason is not the same reason the problem is occurring, but their avoidance solves the problem.

posted on Mar, 29 2015 @ 07:43 PM
link   
My experience with alternatives was through my mother doing a whole lot of research when my aunt had cervical cancer. It really comes down to the person. Even placebos have an effect, if the person that needs healing doesn't believe its a fail before its even tried.

posted on Mar, 29 2015 @ 07:44 PM
link   

You have to be really careful about who and how you approach people. Don't tell people that what they are doing isn't going to help but that "X,Y or Z may".

Remember it isn't about you (and your wealth of knowledge), it is about them. People don't like unsolisited advise no matter how well meaning.

I dig Kefir too and think it's the best, along with liposomal C and .... and.... but people don't want to hear it.

If you must, and I do, get some and give it to them to try. If they want more or want to know more, they'll ask.

Especially, I repeat, especially, when people are going though major medical stuff you disagree with - it's harmful to plant doubts in their mind about their choice. The biggest component of sucessful outcomes is belief that the treatment you've chosen (or been chosen for you by others) is going to work regardless of anyone elses opinion.

You don't know what's best for anybody but yourself.

posted on Mar, 30 2015 @ 01:11 AM
link   
Thanks for the feedback everyone.

originally posted by: Michaelfunction
Check out Dr. Glidden on you tubea reply to: dffrntkndfnml

I checked out Dr. Glidden's youtube channel, and will view some of his videos when I have more time.Looks interesting to say the least.Videos can be a good way to take in info passively, and time savers seeing what suggestions those who have already done their research have to offer. Youtube links can put info out there in an easy to digest fashion, and I will keep them in mind.(Reading skills vary across the board)

My mother has been experiencing tinnitus, the apple cider vinegar and pineapple came up coincidentally after I started this thread but before I came back.Very cool.

originally posted by: rickymouse
Good thread OP. Maybe people will say what they know and it will help you learn even more. I learn from listening to others about how food makes them feel then research possible reasons they are thinking the way they are. Often the reason is not the same reason the problem is occurring, but their avoidance solves the problem.

What you were saying about listening to others and how food makes them feel is a great tip, rickymouse.I have been able to spot chedder creating issues for those with migraine headaches that way in the past.My mother's avoidance of garlic or onions is something for me to investigate for ideas too.

originally posted by: Iamthatbish
My experience with alternatives was through my mother doing a whole lot of research when my aunt had cervical cancer. It really comes down to the person. Even placebos have an effect, if the person that needs healing doesn't believe its a fail before its even tried.

I have encountered this when suggesting a form yoga to help friends with back problems for example.It may be counter intuitive for someone with challenges like that to see themselves trying that.I met someone before though, that swears by it.He had been told he would never walk without a cane in the best scenario, and within two years you couldn't tell he had been in horrible car accident.He understood how it could work beforehand, and didn't have much to loose at that point.He was in amazing shape when we met.

I mentioned kefir because this was the first thing that came to mind about others who I have been able get interested in.My work can be incredibly physical, so others have been able to see first hand how kefir has helped me in different ways.Kefir is not for everyone, so my success with that has been encouraging.

FyreByrd, that is wise council.I proactively support those who fight to improve their health.I don't really frown on conventional treatments for most conditions, preferring to suggest ideas that complement their goals.I agree about it is about them, a very difficult thing for me to accept.Health issues often have other factors to consider, especially if you have a holistic view of health.I'd like to make a difference before someone gives up hope or runs out of options, but ultimately everyone has to help themselves.

The low key approach does work, thank you for the reminder.PS,the liposomal C info rocks!

posted on Apr, 1 2015 @ 12:25 PM
link   

Thanks ATS,

So I decided to take a multi-pronged approached, with the last effort in this department.

The supplement I was encouraging others to learn about was Diatomaceous Earth (A form of silica).Idk, I was pretty excited to have stumbled across this info, and feel it had the potential do much good.

I printed out some of the pages from a few sites that appeared, while scouting this area.I included some testimonials I from a wide range of individuals describing their experiences giving this a try.My friends condition is such, that he has a challenging time reading, and his focus isn't what it used to be.He isn't as tech savvy as I have become.(Different generation)Some small ebooks in pdf format, were also thrown into the mix.

The were was lots of information on youtube, so I took a look at some introductions that went into depth about this silica supplement.Taking stock of a few of the better ones, I found a link sharing about Herxheimer Reactions or the flu-like symptoms that can arise when someone is detoxing.Added another link regarding someone's personal experiences with this supplement and those who she shared it with.

The next stop was en.savefrom.net... .That netsite service that helps individuals to save content from various multi media sites (In this case youtube) for a rainy day...

The youtube savings were in mp4 file format.Idk, even the less technological among us usually have dvd players of some kind available.I converted those files using convertxtodvd.ConvertXtodvd is a great tool for all your encoding needs, but may be a little intimidating at a glance.Winavi is more simple, if this idea appeals to you.I like these tools, because they make it easy to add basic menus and whatnot to your home movies.Lots of tutorials to be had online, if this idea appeals to you.

I formed a dvd, using those materials.The DVD and printouts went together in report cover.This would offer the opportunity for him to digest the material slowly, in a convenient fashion.

When I went to his cave (lol, he's a bit of a hermit), I traced back my line of thought and the chain of events that lead me to this supplement.He is familiar with the kinds of research I like to do, and my philosophical perspective.I told him how I'm feeling and shared my brief personal experience with fossil shell flour.I was fortunate to find food grade DE, readily available at a local merchant in our community.This supplement was readily available inexpensively online, though the shipping costs were mysterious.The bulk of the material turned out to be the reason (it's high volume), so local is better.One of the partners at the store has much experience with this, and the other half is a nutritionist.I grabbed the number and encouraged him to call and speak personally with her.

God willing, this supplement will complement his other efforts to get back to work.

After doing these things, and presenting my information in this way, I feel at peace knowing I put my best foot forward sharing this information.I don't tend to watch videos, and prefer reading.I am long winded, and have a habit of talking a million miles a minute or forever when I am excited about something like this ;(.This approach made it easy to for me to relax, be myself and know i practiced doing my best.

double:brofist: ats!

posted on Apr, 1 2015 @ 01:37 PM
link   
I'd be very careful about suggesting treatments to others - not everyone responds in the same way to remedies.

Just this week, I got some tablets to help with a condition I've been suffering from for a few months. On Monday, the first day, I was so happy they helped a lot. Yesterday, I took my second dose of the day in the evening and the slight pain I'd had in my back since the day before became so violent I thought I'd get a collapsed lung or a heart attack.

I'm gutted - they were working but seem to be the cause of the pain so I can't take them any more.

Something I was willing to swear by were ear candles - I notice you say your mother has tinnitus - until I read that hot wax can fall into the ear and stick to the ear-drum. I was fortunate not to have that happen to me, but it put me off using them again, or suggesting them to others.

Recommending treatments to people is a big responsibility and if someone is unwilling to listen, I'd tend to take their objections seriously.

I find homeopathic remedies very effective but read a lot of 'debunking' - I wonder if people know that you are not supposed to eat or drink 20-30 minutes either side of taking the remedy? Or that drinking coffee can nullify the effects?

posted on Apr, 1 2015 @ 02:26 PM
link   
a reply to: berenike

Thanks for your insight.

Idk, I labour in what others consider a very dangerous career.Practicing due diligence, and taking ours lives in our hands is a regular responsibility day-to-day.

I appreciate your warnings, and take them to heart.I believe that having the best information is needed for practicing making the best decisions.The purpose of this thread isn't so much getting others to agree with me, about some of these treatments I have in mind, rather presenting the information as best I can.

It's up to the individual to choose for themselves.

My Opa went back up the chimney, to join my Oma.Cancer took him there, and he was well advanced in age.I felt disappointed that I was unable to be more proactive sharing my knowledge with him, though ultimately he needed a vacation.I did what I could, there were circumstances beyond my control that came into play.I try to live life with no regrets, and am at peace with him and my efforts to ease his transition.

I learned many lessons, and discovered many helpful ideas to consider for different things.Other's consider me intelligent, I consider them gracious.There is just so much vanity in worldly learning, and sometimes a part of me questions what good this knowledge is, if I don't practice using it to help others.At a crossroads in my life, I asked someone who I looked up to, "What do we need?", he told me "healing".It took a while for me to appreciate the gravity of what he had in mind.

Others health isn't really my responsibility, their healing isn't my choice.I am responsible for practicing using my knowledge to practice making decisions to the best of my ability, if I have any real hope of continuing to grow.My efforts in the past, have left alot to be desired so I continue to fine tune my communication skills as best I can.

It's the little things in life, that go a long way to building a better future.This thread is no different.The difference from the past to today is learning the value of presenting the information using different media.In my past efforts I have focused more on using simple print and referencing resources on the net.Now I have a method that is more convenient, and leaves me not questioning the materials I use to present.My delivery before wasn't as well rounded, to say they least.

Mind you, I only go into depth like this with loved ones.Those who I would describe more as acquaintances, I tend to point in a direction.I believe in practicing Triage, and this creates its own challenges.

I had talked to my mother about some different approaches to consider.Friends of mine who have had their ears candled have spoken highly of the practice and invited me to take a look at it myself.They told me about some places to try it.In my neck of the woods, Greater Vancouver there are diverse options for alternative and complementary medicine.Our rich ethnic diversity, provides many avenues to explore from different angles.

The DE was something else, that others have had positive experiences treating tinnitus.

My mother doesn't feel comfortable with those options though.

Apple cider vinegar comes up too, looking into tinnitus.She is more familiar with that, so she may try that out.

I respect others opinions, and feel practicing free will is one of the major life lessons we find ourselves here for.If someone would prefer doing something different or nothing at all, I practice respecting that.

I'm sorry you have been having health issues,lately.I hope you find something to feel better and get back to your old self.Keep looking, you never know what is around the corner.

edit on 1-4-2015 by dffrntkndfnml because: misc

posted on May, 27 2017 @ 08:15 AM
link   
Some time has gone by.

My friend was receptive to the diatomaceous earth, after having been given some info.

ITT I've mostly been kicking around alternative treatment in the context of natural supplements and practice.

My mom hasn't tried the apple cider vinager for tinnitus, I'm hoping that me using it will remind her.

I was wondering if anyone thinks it would be easier suggesting different conventional treatments they may not have heard of?

I feel like suggesting a drug, printing out some info, and having copies forwarded to them and their doctor

posted on Aug, 4 2017 @ 02:59 AM
link   

top topics

join