It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Seattle Woman Parks Car In Cycling Lane, Gets Confronted

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 28 2015 @ 06:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: Tompdx3
I agree with you. Bike riders need to shut their pie holes about cars!! Until they pay for a bike license and road taxes on their bikes they have no say about roads, period. Here in Oregon they get everything given to them and don't pay a dime for it all as far as I know.

Now they can run through red lights as well as stop signs "if it is safe" , and that applies to motorcycles as well I think.
Crazy! They need to pay for the roads like the car drivers do if they use their bikes on them. I don't care if they own a car and pay taxes, those are for the cars.

Enough said.

There's one tiny little problem with your argument: a designated bike lane is for....bikes!

And by tiny I mean "completely defeats your argument."

Enough said indeed.

posted on Mar, 28 2015 @ 06:37 PM
link   
I don't drive, but as a pedestrian, the obvious entitlement complex attitudes from drivers in the last decade drives me up the wall. You DON'T own everything your wheels touch, sorry -- you SHARE it. I have zero issues sharing sidewalks with bikes, why do drivers have to make it so difficult for cyclists? Pay effing attention to your surroundings, stay out of the bike lanes, and be courteous. Trust me, if more drivers actively did any of that, both cyclists & pedestrians would be extremely receptive to & thankful for the gestures. But no, drivers instead feel the need to hang their heads out windows & yell at both. Screw off! I have the right of way at the crosswalks when it says "WALK", not you. Waiting 10 seconds is not going to be a detriment to your day, wait for me to at least get past your continuing lane before you honk, creep behind me & rev, a-holes. Your horn is not going to make my stiff joints bend any faster.

I am so sick & tired of people thinking 4 wheels & an engine = better than thou.

posted on Mar, 28 2015 @ 06:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: Ultralight
a reply to: intrptr

We pay for the roads you ride on.

And the cyclists pay for the ones you drive on. What's your point?

posted on Mar, 28 2015 @ 06:43 PM
link   
a reply to: Shamrock6

Enlighten me on US tax payers Shamrock...

Do worker wage taxes pay for the roads in the States?

Twice I've seen people in this thread claim that only drivers pay taxes?

I know the tax they're on about...
Taxes for having a 2 tonne vehicle spouting out fumes...

But do all tax payers pay for the roads?

As in, maintenance because they also use the roads?

posted on Mar, 28 2015 @ 06:45 PM
link   
a reply to: American-philosopher

Damn! People usually aren't so openly arrogant on ATS!
I'm used to apologists, but this guy is taking the idiotic side of a stance and is proud of it.
*popcorn*

posted on Mar, 28 2015 @ 06:51 PM
link   
a reply to: Kukri

Yeah but they go to far! and they make these nike lanes difficult for cars to navigate the raod. the bicyclist even have their own speccial lights. I am sorry if i think that is ridiculous. that they have their own special light.

posted on Mar, 28 2015 @ 06:52 PM
link   

We pay for the roads you ride on.
a reply to: Ultralight

exactly extactly

posted on Mar, 28 2015 @ 06:53 PM
link   

like a traffic light for bikes?

posted on Mar, 28 2015 @ 06:54 PM
link   
a reply to: Tompdx3
There is no such thing as road tax. There are gas and vehicle tax. Gas tax contributes 35% vehicle tax 20%. There is about 40% non automobile tax that contributes to the roads. So you hatred towards other road users is not justified. Here is and example for you to help you out. So even people without cars or don't use bicycles(AKA pedestrians) Help pay for the roads. This cyclist don't pay road tax stuff is everywhere the US, Canada, UK. Angry motorist spout the same line. I wonder why that it is( Don't care attitude maybe) Get out of my way I have somewhere to be.

Two neighbors each pay $300 annually in local taxes that fund roads and
traffic services. Mike Motorist drives 10,000 miles annually on local roads,
while Frances Footpower bicycles 3,000 miles. The table below compares
the costs they impose with what they pay in taxes.

Table 4 Local Roadway Payments Versus Costs
Mike Frances
A. Annual local mileage 10,000 3,000
B. Household’s general taxes used for
road related services. $300 $300
C. Motorist user fees spent on local
road (0.2¢ per mile). $24 $0
D. Total road system contribution (B + C) $324 $300
E. Tax payment per mile of travel (B/A). 3.2¢ 10¢
F. Roadway costs (cars = 5.6¢/ml,
bicycles = 0.2¢/ml) $560 $48
Net (D – F) Underpays $236 Overpays $252

Non-drivers pay almost the same as motorists for local roads but impose
lower costs. As a result, they tend to overpay their share of roadway costs.

Say you own a car. You’re shelling out an average of $9,519 this year, according to the American Automobile Association (most other estimates are higher). Some of those costs — a percentage of gas, registration, licensing, and tolls — go directly to pay for roads. And it hurts. You doubtless feel every penny.

The thing is, that money only pays for freeways and highways. Or it mostly pays for them — a hefty chunk of change for these incredibly expensive, high maintenance thoroughfares still comes from the general fund.

grist.org...

posted on Mar, 28 2015 @ 06:55 PM
link   
a reply to: Grimpachi

my issue is the guy felt the need to police the lady by waiting for her to leave when he could have pedaled his legs and went around her.

would he have done the same thing if it was a man?? I know thats a bad question to ask but would he have??

posted on Mar, 28 2015 @ 06:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: American-philosopher
a reply to: Kukri

Yeah but they go to far! and they make these nike lanes difficult for cars to navigate the raod. the bicyclist even have their own speccial lights. I am sorry if i think that is ridiculous. that they have their own special light.

How do they do that, exactly? They're much thinner than a car lane in most areas, and to me, seem dangerously narrow (a car can still clip a cyclist in their own lane)

And please, show us an example of a cyclist stoplight. I've never seen a cyclist light, and I live in a pretty cyclist-heavy area.

posted on Mar, 28 2015 @ 06:58 PM
link   
a reply to: Shamrock6

But you have your own lanes! do only bicycle people pay for those lanes since only bicycle people can use them??

(and sometimes dont even use them!)

posted on Mar, 28 2015 @ 06:59 PM
link   
a reply to: Taupin Desciple

Not this city!!! not this city where cars are the enemy where parking spots are few and far between no I really think there is an agenda here to wipe out the cars.
edit on 28-3-2015 by American-philosopher because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 28 2015 @ 07:01 PM
link   

a reply to: Taupin Desciple

Not this city!!! not this city where cars are the enemy where parking spots are few and far between no I really think there is an agenda here to wipe out the cars.

That's like arguing that a sidewalk you can't park on is stealing parking spots. Get a grip.
Perhaps instead of bitching about the lack of street parking, you should push for more parking garages.

posted on Mar, 28 2015 @ 07:09 PM
link   
a reply to: SpongeBeard

what sidde am I taking?? I am saying I dont like most bicycle people becaus ethey have these types of attitudes

posted on Mar, 28 2015 @ 07:10 PM
link   
a reply to: CharlieSpeirs

For the most part, roads are paid for by "road centric" fees like tolls and gas taxes, but there is a sizable chunk of the transpo budget in most states that is paid for from "general revenue." In a nutshell, everybody pays for the roads, but motor vehicle drivers pay more. And the gas tax makes up a good bit of the "road centric" collection.

Some posit that the gas tax is so high (aside from the obvious money grab) to try and discourage people from driving so much. And do things like....ride bikes

posted on Mar, 28 2015 @ 07:10 PM
link   
I'm still curious about these special lights bikers have...

posted on Mar, 28 2015 @ 07:12 PM
link   

1) I have my own lanes? False.

2) You aren't seriously suggesting nobody uses the bike lanes other than cyclists, are you? Did you watch the video?

posted on Mar, 28 2015 @ 07:12 PM
link   

a reply to: SpongeBeard

what sidde am I taking?? I am saying I dont like most bicycle people becaus ethey have these types of attitudes

On the flip-side, I can say I detest drivers with your attitude as well. When you're having a cow over someone confronting someone over blocking the flow of bicycle traffic in a legal bicycle traffic lane, you're not helping your argument any and merely backing up the assertion that most drivers think with their heads up their mufflers.

posted on Mar, 28 2015 @ 07:14 PM
link   
a reply to: Nyiah

www.komonews.com..." target="_blank" class="postlink">www.komonews.com... ivers-confused-after-Second-Avenue--bike-lane-re-274432691.html

The protected two way bike lanes have stop lights that tell bikers when to stop and go. In addition, on blocks where vehicles can turn left, traffic lights have been installed for drivers. A red arrow indicates cars need to stop and a green arrow mean cars can go.

it can be very confusing

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join