It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"Wealth comes from functioning ecosystems" EPIC TALK on climate change

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 27 2015 @ 02:09 PM
link   
The talk is called "The great work of our time", and it was presented recently (earlier this month) at the "PV2" (Permaculture Voices 2) conference, by Jon D. Liu...

soundcloud.com...

The Podcast begins with a short sound bite, followed by a brief introduction from the Permaculture Voices Podcast host Diego (a great podcast well worth following if you're interested in "Perma-culture") and then the talk begins. Its 45 minutes long, and as each minute passes it gets more and more profound, so hopefully doesn't feel too long, even if you typically have a short attention span...

The talk begins with a brief introduction by Jon, talking about himself and his work and how he became enlightened about the reality of man made climate change. He has visited 80 countries looking at different climates around the world. He says, there is nothing wrong with the earth, its wherever we are that we see ecological dysfunction.

"Ecological function is the basis of wealth but we've said that productivity and trade is the basis of wealth, but its not true because if youre doing trade you need infinite groth but you can't have infinite growth if you have finite resources, its an impossibility. And so you have this sort if perverse situation and youre actually causing things to fall apart instead of supporting an eternal living system. And so we've valued scarcity above abundance and this is a huge mistake and the way to correct this is to realise money and wealth is not based on the production and consumption of goods and services, money and wealth is based on ecological function. And if we do that all human effort will go to restoring the natural ecological systems on the planet and thats what we need if we can insure that we can survive and become sustainable and so I call this the great work of our time, we need new economic models there are many..." He then goes on to introduce his four tiered model, based on ecological principles and the idea that wealth is based on ecological function... Listen to the talk to find out what that is. Its very enlightening, you want regret it i promise.

Enjoy

- if you notice

This talk seriosuly rains controversial & inspiring soundbites, by the bucket load!... Ive used two in the title, but it would be nice if other members shared more, so please if something from the talk inspires you or makes you think, or if you want to comment on it, hit pause, type it out and share it here for discussion.

Note: PV2 had other epic talks that you can listen to on the Permaculture Voices Podcast, I encourage you all to check them out too, if you liked this one.

Here's a link to the PV website with videos on Jon D Lius work: www.permaculturevoices.com...

posted on Mar, 27 2015 @ 02:34 PM
link   
a reply to: funkadeliaaaa

There are many systems of agriculture that work with the eco-system rather then try to 'beat it into submission'. My favorite is BioDynamics which has been around a bit and involves creating whole systems that include animals as well as plants.

This dominator crap is killing us.

posted on Mar, 27 2015 @ 02:57 PM
link   
a reply to: FyreByrd
Listen to Toby Hemenway: Liberation Permaculture (PV2) another great talk from PV2. This one is arguably even more enlightening than the one I shared in the OP.
soundcloud.com...
"Agriculture doesn't just domesticate the environment, it also domesticates us." That's just one sound bite. It goes way deeper into the subject of liberation Permaculture but that gives you a little more of a hint of what its about than the title...

posted on Mar, 27 2015 @ 03:44 PM
link   
Hey thanks! Great stuff, I need some time to indulge your link, but thank you..Im always happy to get after some additional perma-culture links.

top topics

join