It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

10,000 Dead Sea Lions Wash up In Calif.

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+6 more 
posted on Mar, 26 2015 @ 11:39 AM
link   
...Officials announce "crisis"

10,000 baby sea lions have washed up dead on a California island, with experts calling the unexplained deaths a “crisis” and “[Pups] are washing ashore at a rate so alarming, rescuers said Thursday, this year is the worst yet”.

Experts at NOAA say that the culprit is rising ocean temperatures
… a NOAA climate expert said that they do not believe the stranding increase is tied to climate change.

Source

Worrisome! I've noticed a lot of people videoing sea lions trying to get into their boats lately.
Is it the changes in the Gulf Stream?
Could it be radiation spreading from Fukushima?
The article says they expect to see more animals dying in the near future.
I am supposed to write what I think- I don't know.

Perhaps, to make this conspiracy worthy.. Reptilian aliens...?? Planet X. Yeah That's the ticket.
Poor things...

posted on Mar, 26 2015 @ 11:49 AM
link   
a reply to: Bluesma

Rising sea temperatures they think but I too wonder if Fukushima may have played a role in this.

Thanks for getting the word out about this - hopefully it attracts more attention. Very very sad to read this

posted on Mar, 26 2015 @ 12:02 PM
link   
If it was Fuku radiation, it would affect all sea life, especially around Japan, as that is not the case, i think we can rule that one out...

posted on Mar, 26 2015 @ 12:02 PM
link   

The title of the article is wrong. It seems like the site is probably just trying to get hits. Nothing says 10K pups have washed up on shore. I think you can put this site in the "be very skeptical" list.

V

posted on Mar, 26 2015 @ 12:10 PM
link   

It may be human caused. The navy has been testing out new sonars. Also oil companies have been pinging the ocean depth with sonar too.
I can't link the source... because the source is my retired U.S.N. Capt. Uncle whom has been studying this. When not in the amazon studying the pink river dolphins and their frequencies..
He researches still for the navy.

Most notably down near Catalina island.

posted on Mar, 26 2015 @ 12:10 PM
link   
a reply to: Variable

Well it said that

On San Miguel… Melin said researchers believe “probably close to 10,000 are dead, and we expect more to die over coming months”… the mortality rate is similar on San Nicolas.

True, it says "close to 10,000" , but also, that is referring to only one island- they claim there is about the same on another of the Channel Islands. So that would indicate possibly much more than 10,000 already.

posted on Mar, 26 2015 @ 12:11 PM
link   
The trouble with tribulation is that nobody (except the awakened) will see it happen right before their eyes! We are in the end times.

posted on Mar, 26 2015 @ 12:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: Variable

The title of the article is wrong. It seems like the site is probably just trying to get hits. Nothing says 10K pups have washed up on shore. I think you can put this site in the "be very skeptical" list.

V

Yes 10K is excessive compared to so many per day. And was not aware that they bury sea lions. They're incinerated like most animals.
edit on 26-3-2015 by Bigburgh because: i put 30k

posted on Mar, 26 2015 @ 12:17 PM
link   

True, it says "close to 10,000" , but also, that is referring to only one island- they claim there is about the same on another of the Channel Islands. So that would indicate possibly much more than 10,000 already.

No that is not true, it says 10,00 have washed up on shore. No where does it say that. I mean they have found 10,00 carcasses. Further if you read the article it contradicts itself.

Sacramento Bee, Mar 7, 2015: Tens of thousands of pups birthed last summer are believed to be dying on the islands… some [are] desperately trying to climb onto small boats or kayaks… Scientists noted a worrisome anomaly in 2013, when 1,171 famished pups were stranded… scientists blamed the phenomenon on unseasonably cold waters… On San Miguel… Melin said researchers believe “probably close to 10,000 are dead, and we expect more to die over coming months”… the mortality rate is similar on San Nicolas.

Time: Experts at NOAA say that the culprit is rising ocean temperatures

- See more at: yournewswire.com...

So its blamed on both cold water and warm water? Which is it? Again, it is an assumption that many pups have died, the article only mentions 5 or 6 dead pups washing ashore. It looks like a whole bunch of loosely linked articles pasted to look like a trend.

V

posted on Mar, 26 2015 @ 12:19 PM
link   
Those seals can live in warmer water. It is probably some runoff of agricultural chemicals or all the chemicals and medicines in our treated sewer water that is causing problems.

www.sciencedaily.com...

www.sciencedaily.com...

phys.org...

posted on Mar, 26 2015 @ 12:21 PM
link   
I checked the source of the source... it's being reported by KTLA, KNBC10, those sources checkout. But Stating some 1600 sea mammals..

posted on Mar, 26 2015 @ 12:33 PM
link   
Don't forget about the melting starfish off the California coast that's yet to be fully explained. Seals will jump onto boats when predators are around..

I'm with Veriable on this... I'm gonna step back and dig. Does seem the info is scantily put together.

posted on Mar, 26 2015 @ 12:38 PM
link   

No that is not true, it says 10,00 have washed up on shore. No where does it say that.

I agree, the title is a bit misleading, making it seem at first glance that these 10,000 all washed up at the same time... and when you read further, it is clear that is referring to a total found over a short period of time (relatively).

Despite the slightly misleading title (which I didn't create by the way, it's just typical media fashion) the facts are still worth noting (to me).

It is much higher than the natural mortality rate, and evidence of some sort of problem.

So its blamed on both cold water and warm water? Which is it? Again, it is an assumption that many pups have died, the article only mentions 5 or 6 dead pups washing ashore. It looks like a whole bunch of loosely linked articles pasted to look like a trend.

V

The article says "scientists blamed the phenomenon on unseasonably cold waters" - referring to an event that happened in 2013, which is when they first started to see evidence of a problem.

Now, it claims, with the continuation of this uncommonly high mortality rate since, NOAA say that the culprit is rising ocean temperatures.

So what this indicates is that it is a phenomenon happening for the last two years, of a uncommonly high mortality rate, of dead sealions washing up on the shore daily, that has been estimated at close to 10,000 on at least two islands, respectively.

It also indicates that guesses and hypothesis are being made by different scientists, but nobody knows quite yet why it is happening.

Hence my questioning of "why might this be happening?"
edit on 26-3-2015 by Bluesma because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 26 2015 @ 12:51 PM
link   

Well therein shows how different we are. You see the incongruities and ignore them to seek out bits you think are important. I however see them and think the rest of the article is suspect. I think the article that started this can be found here: Starving sea lions

So I think here we have a article that has real information in it. Not sensational, no weird loosely based snippets. It expains why it is happening. It also says the current population is healthy.

V

posted on Mar, 26 2015 @ 01:09 PM
link   

Well therein shows how different we are. You see the incongruities and ignore them to seek out bits you think are important. I however see them and think the rest of the article is suspect. I think the article that started this can be found here: Starving sea lions

So I think here we have a article that has real information in it. Not sensational, no weird loosely based snippets. It expains why it is happening. It also says the current population is healthy.

V

Yep- different strokes for different folks!
I've gotten used to seeing sensationalist american headlines, and sometimes ignore the fluff and buzzwords, focusing on the bones.
You are absolutely reasonable and logical to see some of those raise alarms in your head, I often am playing your part in other threads, looking like a nit picker- but nit pickers are sometimes needed!

Thanks for looking up other sources, with more clear info.

posted on Mar, 26 2015 @ 01:51 PM
link   

All's good...then explain these ones to us too, please.

Dead sea creatures wash up on Cali shore

Unexplained die off North Carolina

Mysterious die off of blue fin tuna

Bighorn sheep die off near Yellowstone

thenewdaily.com.au..." target="_blank" class="postlink">A dozen whales dead in Western Australia

Hundeds of dead fish wash up in Indiana reservoir

Fish kill in Las Vegas lake

80 tons of fish die off in Colombia

Hundreds of ducks, birds and eels die of disease in New Zealand

Thousands of fish die off in Malaysia

And all these die offs were this week alone. And that was a quiet week compared to usual when there are anywhere from 15 to 20 die offs per week. Things are far from ALL GOOD but you keep telling yourself that.

Here's the why... www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Mar, 26 2015 @ 01:58 PM
link   
The Pacific is switching its regime from warm to cold, and the ecosystems which have been so rich and supportive are adjusting.

As a result there will be die-offs all the way up the food chain as animal populations adjust to the different capacity of the system.

posted on Mar, 26 2015 @ 02:30 PM
link   
a reply to: Rezlooper

And that was a quiet week compared to usual when there are anywhere from 15 to 20 die offs per week. Things are far from ALL GOOD but you keep telling yourself that.

I'm not sure where the accusatory vitriol comes from, nor do i wish to look at all your links. I did look at the NC one since i happen to live in NC. It seems to be very common for a variety of reasons. You do know that stuff like this happens all the time and has been happening since animals were alive. Why don't you read the links to see the causes? Or do you just look at the headlines and put them all together to form some sort of pattern in your own mind?

V

posted on Mar, 26 2015 @ 02:45 PM
link   

Sick, starving sea lion pups wash up in record numbers on California coast

Read more here: www.sacbee.com...=cpy

As a result, tens of thousands of pups birthed last summer are believed to be dying on the islands as others, fearing their mothers have abandoned them, set out into the ocean and drift or wash ashore sometimes hundreds of miles away.

Read more here: www.sacbee.com...=cpy

posted on Mar, 26 2015 @ 02:56 PM
link   

Not sea lion pups but,

Dead sea creatures “covering the sand with a sea of red” on California beach; Witnesses: “Bazillions of crab-like things washed ashore… I’ve never seen these before, it’s incredible” — ‘Glow in the dark’ organisms recently stranded nearby; Official: “No one here has ever seen it!” (VIDEO)

Related Posts

Unprecedented: ‘Cataclysmic’ die-off of birds on entire West Coast — Beaches covered with dead bodies — Professor: It’s tragic… never seen anything like this… We ignore it at our peril… Canary in the coalmine for us… Scrambling to figure out what’s going on with ecosystem (VIDEOS) January 8, 2015
CBS: Officials alarmed as several types of marine mammals begin washing up in California — “Now entire coast is being affected” — “Whole population getting hit hard… a real shock to us” — Animals of all ages sick, not only newborns — “Really hard to wrap our heads around what’s happening” (VIDEO) February 2, 2015
TV: “Surge in marine mammal strandings” on US West Coast — Scientists: “This is very weird”; “My biggest fear is if this… is everywhere” along coast — Whales, dolphins, sea lions, birds recently washing up in large numbers — Many thousands likely dead — Violent seizures shown on news (VIDEO) August 30, 2014
TV: Mounds of millions of jellyfish-like creatures wash up on Pacific beaches across multiple states — “They lined entire Oregon Coast” — Seen for first time in a great many years — Official: “They just covered the sea surface… as far as we could see” — Thought to mix with ones from Japan (VIDEO & PICS) July 29, 2014
Expert: Disease outbreak on US West Coast is largest ever seen in any population of animals — Tens of millions dead — Official: Gov’t needs to declare emergency before extinction occurs — Many scientists believed radiation from Fukushima to blame (VIDEO) March 14, 2015

enenews.com... -organisms-recently-stranded-official-one-around-video

edit on 26-3-2015 by CharlesT because: bkuibi

edit on 26-3-2015 by CharlesT because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join