It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Drive from Europe to the U.S.? Russia proposes world's greatest superhighway

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 26 2015 @ 01:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: Glassbender777
This would be a total fail. Im not saying it couldnt be done, but WHY. There would not be many places to stop and rest, unless they built floating gas stations and truck stops. Weather would be a huge factor, those waves get mighty big out there. And who the heck wants to blow a thousand dollars in gas, when that could easily be used to buy a cheap plane ticket. DING DING, now I know why all these planes keep crashing, its a way to sway the public away from aviation, and onto a non existent highway. Sarcasim. LOL

"Cheap" Plane Ticket? I take it you haven't flown abroad recently... I've been flying for the past 20 years now, and let me tell you, nothing about plane tickets now a days are "cheap." Whenever possible, i prefer driving over flying, and that's a recent development, Pre-9/11 I flew everywhere, even short 1 hour flights. Flying just isn't convenient or affordable anymore, driving is much more convenient when possible.

posted on Mar, 26 2015 @ 01:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: Elton
The points everyone has raised above makes me wonder what resources could be trucked from Alaska to Russia (or vice versa) that would make the road worthwhile financially.

It's for oil, they should just wait till the Arctic finishes melting a bit more and use boats, or build a pipeline. There seems to be much more efficient ways than building that bridge from Alaska to Russia to just transport oil.

If the goal is really to go from NYC to LONDON, I think there are easier methods as well...
edit on 3/26/2015 by PsychoEmperor because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 26 2015 @ 01:32 PM
link   
Cue DMZ Version 2.

If russia keeps saber rattling, threatening tiny countries with nukes because they know they don't stand a chance in a conventional war with EU/NATO/USA - this will not happen.

Building a highway from russia to the us is begging for an invasion from either side, seeing as how we can't get along...

Imagine how powerful and awesome russia and america would be if we could just cooperate and be friends...

posted on Mar, 26 2015 @ 01:38 PM
link   
a reply to: 8fl0z

Valid points...

Interestingly enough China jus recently tried this with Taiwan. They offered to build a tunnel from mainland China to Taiwan. Taiwan declined.

posted on Mar, 26 2015 @ 02:40 PM
link   
Highways and railways etc are excellent invasion routes.
The Ruskies are coming!

posted on Mar, 26 2015 @ 02:51 PM
link   
a reply to: TinfoilTP

Have you seen them drive!!?!

edit on 26-3-2015 by Elton because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 26 2015 @ 03:04 PM
link   
IF this were to be a reality - Alaska would have to pave thousands of miles of absolutely NOTHING except permafrost. I was in bush Alaska for 5 years - in a place where you only got in or out by air. NO ROADS !!! Just how is all this trade supposed to get from Alaska to anywhere useful? Air freight it out? You cannot build heavy infrastructure on permafrost. You can't even build an asphalt road that keeps its shape for 12 consecutive months. People outside of Alaska have no idea just how big, deserted and hostile that place is to humankind. Sarah Palin and her bridge to Russia notwithstanding.

posted on Mar, 26 2015 @ 03:08 PM
link   
reply to: Elton

These are the things our leaders should be doing.

If the NWO was about projects like this everyone would support it. If the US, Russia, and the UK / UN were about making our primitive and backwards civilization a world of Titans there would be no opposition.

Power, money, and influence would flow freely.

Sadly our leaders are as dumb as those they lead.

I would bankrupt us, break our backs and enslave us all if it meant a greater more timeless civilization could be born

I dont understand the ability to live in this world knowing that it could be incredible if they only chose to make it so....but dont.

I swear, I would risk oblivion if it meant we had a chance to become Titans.

build this. build the wonders we have in mind and heart.....do it together.
Our tower of babel has no angry gods to oppose it. Build it!

posted on Mar, 26 2015 @ 05:24 PM
link   
They would be better making it a tunnel that goes underground - no bad weather, no reduced visibility, no black ice or need to clear snow off the roads. Trondheim in Norway has the Helltunnelen which in some places runs underneath entire mountains.

posted on Mar, 26 2015 @ 05:28 PM
link   
a reply to: cronemel

The TransSiberian railroad seems to be doing ok?

posted on Mar, 26 2015 @ 05:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: stormcell
They would be better making it a tunnel that goes underground - no bad weather, no reduced visibility, no black ice or need to clear snow off the roads. Trondheim in Norway has the Helltunnelen which in some places runs underneath entire mountains.

Could get the Chinese involved. they have some pretty massive tunnel under the sea projects they are working on.

posted on Mar, 26 2015 @ 06:03 PM
link   
Hitler went on a mass super highway building rampage before he invaded the rest of Europe. They make excellent routes for invading armies to head down.

I'm not necessarily calling Putin Hitler, but a super highway of this sort really would make a wonderful way for Russia to build troops and drop them into North America.

posted on Mar, 26 2015 @ 07:31 PM
link   
Ah.

I thought this was about spanning the Atlantic.

A 3000 mile-long bridge is a ridiculous idea...yet rather less so than the one proposed.

A bridge joining Putin's Russia with North America?

And no Londoner is ever going to drive 9000 miles across Asia to reach Alaska.

posted on Mar, 26 2015 @ 07:40 PM
link   
Bridging The Bering Strait - Megastructures Documentary

A good documentary on what such an engineering feat would require.

posted on Mar, 26 2015 @ 08:22 PM
link   
a reply to: Elton

Sorry, not trying to derail your post, just couldn't let it go

posted on Mar, 27 2015 @ 03:13 AM
link   
a reply to: Elton

If there was goodwill between US and Russian Federation this project could be done

But as it is no way

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join