It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Curses: Psychological or Real Phenomenon?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 24 2015 @ 05:10 AM
link   
Do you believe curses are real, or that they're simply psychological?
Do you have any interesting stories or links relating to this fascinating subject?

posted on Mar, 24 2015 @ 05:14 AM
link   
I think they can be real. There is energy and intent behind the words used. Sometimes the curses are powerful energy and they stick to whatever/whoever that energy is directed to. We don't understand much of anything about the metaphysical world so I do not dismiss curses anymore than I dismiss the positive effects of prayer energy.

posted on Mar, 24 2015 @ 05:37 AM
link   
Sometimes I wonder if they are real, I mean all the BS I seem to go thru that most people seem to be immune to cant just all be penned down to bad luck?

If I have been cursed, then it happened before I was born or when I was very very young, so I would have no way of finding out who cursed me or why.

posted on Mar, 24 2015 @ 07:08 AM
link   
a reply to: FlyersFan
I think its if you know someone cursed you then it gets into your head and the only thing to do is to get it out. Don't give anyone power over you because it saps your energy which most of us don't need.

One of the most common forms of curse is the one between parent and child, when the child has it in their head (true or falsely) that the parent doesn't like or love them. Its an every day simple thing but the damage done to the child is unbelievable and can stay for most of their lives if they don't understand it. It affects them by dominating how they react to every day things, even compliments because of the feeling of unworthiness.

posted on Mar, 24 2015 @ 07:11 AM
link   
a reply to: AlmostRosey

I think that maybe curses are only real if you invest belief in them. The power of the subconscious mind is a mysterious thing and can sometimes be swayed by the power of suggestion.

Take for example the fact that there is a woman who literally hates me and has most definitely been trying her darnedest to use voodoo spells and curses against me. In my beliefs whenever you try to use magic to harm others instead of harming the object of your hatred it returns to the sender and harms them instead- therefore I have felt no ill effects from her efforts. If I believed otherwise it might be a completely different story.

posted on Mar, 24 2015 @ 07:11 AM
link   
a reply to: ItVibrates

I do think that fate or destiny plays a terrific part in our lives because somehow even if we bend from below the ankles, we cannot avoid something we don't want to happen. You could also look to our individual dna and see the likelihood of what will kill us disease wise. Its as though our lives are predestined.

posted on Mar, 24 2015 @ 07:21 AM
link   
a reply to: AlmostRosey

Let me know soon....I just cursed you.

Something (not too serious) is going to happen to one of your hands.

Be nice and I'll lift the curse.

posted on Mar, 24 2015 @ 07:43 AM
link   
Personally, I think it's in your head. If you think it's real, it will affect you, if you don't, you're good.

I walk under ladders, don't think twice if I break a mirror, step on cracks, even shot a black cat that ran in front of me.

I know people that think they're cursed when confronted with the above problems. Me, I have a very strong will power and don't let anything direct my path. I'm in charge.

posted on Mar, 24 2015 @ 08:44 AM
link   
there are many different types of curses. there used to be a great show, think it was on the bio channel. each show had 1 or 2 segments that adhered to different themes. generational curses, black magick, voodoo, cursed objects etc

you can find several episodes on you tube still. there are worth a watch if you have an interest in curses. some of the stories people tell are totally plausible in my opinion. but, if i had not had personal experience with the demonic or non-physical i would probably find it hard to believe.

there is one, i forget which episode, about a man who used to make a living in the 70s going down to mexico to purchase mayan antiques on the black market. these items were sold by tomb raiders essentially, completely illegal as far as the mexican government is concerned. he meets a beautiful mayan women at a coffee shop who takes to him quite quickly. he goes to her apartment later that night in the old historic district of mexico. she basically puts him into a trance, paints on his body with blood, does a ritual and he said it felt like she removed something from him, like a part of him.

he woke up the next morning on the street being kicked awake by mexican police telling him to move along. he went back to the coffee shop the next morning where they met and the owner told him he has no female employees. turns out the women ties into some spiritual entity that is known for having a strong hate for outsiders who pillage or profit off of stolen mayan goods/artifacts. still to this day he has health issues related to the incident and has been to a slew of healers, doctors etc who all tell him he has some sort of energy blockage in his chest but no one can resolve the issue. he in turn has been miserable and unable to keep any sort of relationship ever since.
edit on 24-3-2015 by CallmeRaskolnikov because: found the video!

posted on Mar, 24 2015 @ 08:56 AM
link   
Of course it's not real. The first thing on the agenda of someone who wants to cast hoo-doo or voo-doo, or whatever, is make sure you know about it. Then they might need to get 'a piece of you', ya know, a hair, some urine, fingernail clippings, in an effort to validate it to you.

You do the rest of it yourself. If you ignore it, or laugh at it, nothing happens.

posted on Mar, 24 2015 @ 01:28 PM
link   

God curses Nations, Families, Generations and those that disobey.

bibleprobe.com...

On a more personal level...When I lived in Topolobompo, I knew a curandero that would curse the person of your choice for 50 pesos. I think it would be bad karma to put a curse on someone....I've wanted to though!!!
edit on 24-3-2015 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 24 2015 @ 01:45 PM
link   
I think that if you believe it that much, you'll send out that negativity into the world which then in return will come back to you. To this day, i am still terrified of chain letters. When I was younger, we found a letter on our windshield asking us (my parents) to comply with a certain thing or we will have bad luck. I was the one who found the letter so I immediately thought it applied to me. I ended up throwing the letter away and a few days letter, something really bad happened to my puppy. It could have been a coincidence BUT in the back of my mind, I figured it was the because of the chain letter. Now, I try to avoid them AND I've blocked friends who have tried to send one lol.

posted on Mar, 24 2015 @ 07:54 PM
link   
a reply to: olaru12

I think it would be bad karma to put a curse on someone....

Wishing ill will comes back to you seven times...

Everyone always forgets that part

:-)

posted on Mar, 24 2015 @ 10:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: Shiloh7
I think its if you know someone cursed you then it gets into your head and the only thing to do is to get it out.

I do think that fate or destiny plays a terrific part in our lives because somehow even if we bend from below the ankles, we cannot avoid something we don't want to happen.

So how does one "get it out" or prevent themselves from becoming cursed?

More topic related. I found that your explanation on the common curse between a parent and child seemed to come across as more psychologically orientated than supernatural. You ever seen Psycho?

And as to the question of the thread, couldn't it be a psychological phenomenom or perhaps both? I get alot of symptoms such as sleep paralysis, hearing voices etc that some people consider be a curse or demonic in some way, then I have doctors telling me how its an illness basically my brain is not functioning in a "typical" fashion. But could it be possible that due to my brain having certain neurological differences (and I don't know much science) I can somehow connect with another side? I find it strange how alot of people who experience sleep paralysis for example have very similiar happenings, someone sitting on your chest is very common. I'd never heard of sleep paralysis until I had had it for some years so I don't think they can say I was influenced to have that kind of "dream".

So sometimes it think can be both at the same time, each side just has a lable for this negative effect, so I think that is sometimes irelevant to think so much on this side as to what is the most effective way or lessening trauma or curing the condition. Whatever side has the best approach to that, naturally I would be more inclined to think it was swayed to whatever side.

posted on Mar, 25 2015 @ 03:42 AM
link   
In psychology we call this the active arm of 'self-fulfilling prophecy'. Basically when you expect something to happen, your unconscious mind works toward that end.

An example would be if you believed someone cursed you to get injured at work. You get so worried and nervous that you lose focus and its bound to happen!

posted on Mar, 25 2015 @ 03:59 AM
link   
a reply to: CallmeRaskolnikov

there is one, i forget which episode, about a man who used to make a living in the 70s going down to mexico to purchase mayan antiques on the black market. these items were sold by tomb raiders essentially, completely illegal as far as the mexican government is concerned. he meets a beautiful mayan women at a coffee shop who takes to him quite quickly. he goes to her apartment later that night in the old historic district of mexico. she basically puts him into a trance, paints on his body with blood, does a ritual and he said it felt like she removed something from him, like a part of him.

he woke up the next morning on the street being kicked awake by mexican police telling him to move along. he went back to the coffee shop the next morning where they met and the owner told him he has no female employees. turns out the women ties into some spiritual entity that is known for having a strong hate for outsiders who pillage or profit off of stolen mayan goods/artifacts. still to this day he has health issues related to the incident and has been to a slew of healers, doctors etc who all tell him he has some sort of energy blockage in his chest but no one can resolve the issue. he in turn has been miserable and unable to keep any sort of relationship ever since.

Sounds a lot like he might have been under the influence of this stuff:

new topics

top topics

join