It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Defending Inerrancy in the Bible...

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 23 2015 @ 06:36 PM
link   
The claim that the bible is inerrant is an argument that has been raging for millennia... it rears it ugly face time and time again on this forum, and in many other discussion forums all over the internet...

This is a position that is not held by all Christians, but merely a select few...

The simple explanation is that the bible is NOT one book, it is many books compiled over many years... Written by men (inspired or otherwise) Thus it is subject to mans flaws... It can not be inerrant.

For those who are willing... Here is your chance to defend that position...

Prove to the world, or at least to the rest of the members here that your bible has no contradictions, no errors

This will not be a fight... or an argument that resorts to slandering other members...

IF you can't have a discussion about these things without resorting to personal attacks... DON'T PARTICIPATE!

Prove Me Wrong... and I will change my position on the issue...

Its as simple as that...

Let us Begin...

A thread I made a while ago that has been answered... Yet the contradiction still stands...
On Which day was Jesus executed?

Was Abraham justified by faith or works?

Romans 4:2 
For if Abraham were justified by works, he hath [whereof] to glory; but not before God.

vs

James 2:21 
Was not Abraham our father justified by works, when he had offered Isaac his son upon the altar?

Is the devil tied up or free to roam?

2 Peter 2:4 
For if God spared not the angels that sinned, but cast [them] down to hell, and delivered [them] into chains of darkness, to be reserved unto judgment;

Jude 1:6 
And the angels which kept not their first estate, but left their own habitation, he hath reserved in everlasting chains under darkness unto the judgment of the great day.

vs

Job 1:7 
And the LORD said unto Satan, Whence comest thou? Then Satan answered the LORD, and said, From going to and fro in the earth, and from walking up and down in it.

1 Peter 5:8 
Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, walketh about, seeking whom he may devour:

What was in the Ark of the Covenant?

1 Kings 8:9 
[There was] nothing in the ark save the two tables of stone, which Moses put there at Horeb, when the LORD made [a covenant] with the children of Israel, when they came out of the land of Egypt.

vs

Hebrews 9:4 
Which had the golden censer, and the ark of the covenant overlaid round about with gold, wherein [was] the golden pot that had manna, and Aaron's rod that budded, and the tables of the covenant;

How should we treat our enemies?

Matthew 5:44 
But I say unto you, Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully use you, and persecute you;

vs

Lamentations 3:64-66 
Render unto them a recompence, O LORD, according to the work of their hands.
Give them sorrow of heart, thy curse unto them.
Persecute and destroy them in anger from under the heavens of the LORD.

Does God tempt people?

Genesis 22:1 
And it came to pass after these things, that God did tempt Abraham, and said unto him, Abraham: and he said, Behold, [here] I [am].

vs

James 1:13 
Let no man say when he is tempted, I am tempted of God: for God cannot be tempted with evil, neither tempteth he any man:

Call no man Father...

Matthew 23
8 But be not ye called Rabbi: for one is your Master, even Christ; and all ye are brethren.
9 And call no man your father upon the earth: for one is your Father, which is in heaven.
10 Neither be ye called masters: for one is your Master, even Christ.

Vs

1 Corinthians 4

For even if you had ten thousand others to teach you about Christ, you have only one spiritual father. For I became your father in Christ Jesus when I preached the Good News to you.

Preaching for money

1 Corinthians 9
In the same way, the Lord has commanded that those who preach the gospel should receive their living from the gospel.

vs

Matthew 10

And as ye go, preach, saying, The kingdom of heaven is at hand.
8 Heal the sick, cleanse the lepers, raise the dead, cast out devils: freely ye have received, freely give.

The God of the Living
Vs
The God of the dead AND the living?

Romans 14
9 For to this end Christ both died, and rose, and revived, that he might be Lord both of the dead and living.

vs

Luke 20
37 Now that the dead are raised, even Moses shewed at the bush, when he calleth the Lord the God of Abraham, and the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob.

38 For he is not a God of the dead, but of the living: for all live unto him

Jesus states the world is under Satans control... Paul says the Rulers are Ordained by God

Matthew 4
Again, the devil taketh him up into an exceeding high mountain, and sheweth him all the kingdoms of the world, and the glory of them;
9And saith unto him, All these things will I give thee, if thou wilt fall down and worship me.

John 18
Jesus answered, My kingdom is not of this world: if my kingdom were of this world, then would my servants fight, that I should not be delivered to the Jews: but now is my kingdom not from hence.

Vs

Romans 13
Let every soul be subject unto the higher powers. For there is no power but of God: the powers that be are ordained of God.

I suppose that is enough for now...

This will probably be an extremely long thread because I have barely scratched the surface so far....

Remember... Inerrancy means there are NO errors, No contradictions...

which also means, IF one solid contradiction or error is found... The Inerrancy argument Falls apart...

Good luck... Good discussions....

Please Keep it Civil

edit on 23-3-2015 by Akragon because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 23 2015 @ 06:37 PM
link   
Ok I'm going to get some popcorn ready.

👣

posted on Mar, 23 2015 @ 06:43 PM
link   
a reply to: Akragon I just don't the idea that someone decided what going into and what wasn't.

Have you heard about the Gospel of Barnabas?

Written a couple of thousand years ago, one of the few original untampered books recently found written during the time of Jesus. The Catholic Church seems nervous about it.

posted on Mar, 23 2015 @ 06:44 PM
link   
Im a Christian an i believe in God and Jesus unfortunately there is a lot missing from the bible... reply to: Akragon

posted on Mar, 23 2015 @ 06:45 PM
link   
a reply to: maxzen2004

Yes I've read it... but that isn't the topic at hand...

Please stick to the topic so we can keep it on track

Thanks

posted on Mar, 23 2015 @ 06:54 PM
link   
a reply to: Akragon

The simple explanation is that the bible is NOT one book, it is many books compiled over many years... Written by men

Yep. The room the books came from was filled with many books. The people living in the dark ages chose a few that agreed with their ideology and put them together, calling it the Bible (the word of God).

They are just books. Trick is to learn how the guys that wrote them books got the wisdom to do that.

posted on Mar, 23 2015 @ 07:09 PM
link   
I used to debate with people , but as I have gotten older , I realize it is a waste of time , believers don't need to be convinced, and non believers cannot be convinced, THE SECRET OF THE LORD IS WITH THOSE WHO FEAR HIM, (psalm 25 -14 ) when a true believer bows down and prays to GOD, they enter into the spirit, the power of GOD then fills them... this is the secret of the LORD, I will not debate, but I will say that GOD loves you, and wants you ,and all people to be saved, its a two minute prayer, ROMANS 10- 9 is so simple, why not take that step ,and ask GOD if you are real then show me ,and I will believe, and I can tell you this GOD WILL SHOW YOU IN A WAY THAT YOU CANNOT DENY (ITS A TWO MINUTE PRAYER) why not take this chance ,and LIVE... GOD HAS NO PLEASURE IN THE DEATH OF THE WICKED. I am no one I am not wise, or wealthy , but THE PRESENCE OF GOD is with me. a simple servant. HAVE A BLESSED NIGHT.

posted on Mar, 23 2015 @ 07:15 PM
link   
a reply to: darylpriest

Lovely...

This is not about believing though... This is about the claim that the bible has no errors.... Nothing more

And Just so you know... I am much more then just a "believer"... I know God exists

This takes more then simple faith in a book... and does not rely on the necessity of the bible being inerrant or infallible

Stick to the topic please

posted on Mar, 23 2015 @ 07:19 PM
link   
I can go pick a book out of my library and if I look close enough I could probably find some errors . I have many bible versions that differ ,but I don't consider the errors except for the ones that were purposefully put in them . There are lessons to be learned from errors . One that sticks out to me is Det. 32:8 Deuteronomy 32:8

(ASV) When the Most High gave to the nations their inheritance, When he separated the children of men, He set the bounds of the peoples According to the number of the children of Israel.

(Bishops) When the most hyest deuided to the nations their inheritaunce, and when he seperated the sonnes of Adam, he put the borders of the nations accordyng to the number of the children of Israel:

(Brenton) When the Most High divided the nations, when he separated the sons of Adam, he set the bounds of the nations according to the number of the angels of God.

(Darby) When the Most High assigned to the nations their inheritance, When he separated the sons of Adam, He set the bounds of the peoples According to the number of the children of Israel.

(ESV) When the Most High gave to the nations their inheritance, when he divided mankind, he fixed the borders of the peoples according to the number of the sons of God.

(Geneva) When the most hie God deuided to the nations their inheritance, when he separated the sonnes of Adam, he appoynted the borders of the people, according to the nomber of the children of Israel.

(ISV) When the Most High gave nations as their inheritance, when he separated the human race, he set boundaries for the people according to the number of the children of God.

(KJV) When the most High divided to the nations their inheritance, when he separated the sons of Adam, he set the bounds of the people according to the number of the children of Israel.

(KJV-1611) When the most High diuided to the nations their inheritance, when he separated the sonnes of Adam, hee set the bounds of the people according to the number of the children of Israel.

(MKJV) When the Most High divided to the nations their inheritance, when He separated the sons of Adam, He set the bounds of the people according to the number of the sons of Israel.

(RV) When the Most High gave to the nations their inheritance, When he separated the children of men, He set the bounds of the peoples According to the number of the children of Israel.

(Webster) When the Most High divided to the nations their inheritance, when he separated the sons of Adam, he set the bounds of the people according to the number of the children of Israel.

(YLT) In the Most High causing nations to inherit, In His separating sons of Adam--He setteth up the borders of the peoples By the number of the sons of Israel.

The versions that use the sons of Israel is a inserted error . Or was it ? The dead sea scrolls have the sons of God as well as the Greek Septuagint
This verse deals with the Babel incident and Israel was not part of that .Now a casual reader might read over that but a student might look deeper into what happened and maybe find a conspiracy . Or they might just get to the truth of the matter despite the errors or corruptions ....There is plenty of truth in the bible ...more then enough for little old man ...but you got to want it and try and find it ....peace

posted on Mar, 23 2015 @ 07:26 PM
link   
I find it interesting that pretty much all of the contradictions you listed are taken directly from the epistles of Paul. Paul seems to be the main hub of contradictions within the bible, I think that speaks volumes about his true character.

I'll list a few of my own to add to your list.

1 Corinthians 2
15 The person with the Spirit makes judgments about all things, but such a person is not subject to merely human judgments

Vs.

Matthew 7
1 "Do not judge, or you too will be judged.

-----------

Ephesians 6
12 For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms.

Vs. (one you've already pointed out)

Romans 13
1 Let everyone be subject to the governing authorities, for there is no authority except that which God has established.

------------

James 2
17 Thus also faith by itself, if it does not have works, is dead.

Vs.

Romans 3
28 For we maintain that a person is justified by faith apart from the works of the law.

------------

John 18
10 Then Simon Peter, who had a sword, drew it and struck the high priest's servant, cutting off his right ear. (The servant's name was Malchus.)

Vs. (another one you pointed out)

John 18
36 Jesus said, "My kingdom is not of this world. If it were, my servants would fight to prevent my arrest by the Jewish leaders. But now my kingdom is from another place."

Those who refuse to see the blatant contradictions probably believe in a place of eternal suffering where God sends people who refuse to believe the bible is inerrant.

Best to believe without question than to be sent to hell.

posted on Mar, 23 2015 @ 07:27 PM
link   
a reply to: Akragon who are you ?the boss . you need to take into consideration, that your post include old ,and new testaments , this is something to consider, when debating KNOW IT ALL friend.

posted on Mar, 23 2015 @ 07:29 PM
link   
a reply to: the2ofusr1

Thank you for your reply...

I will never deny that there is much wisdom in the bible... It is by far my favorite book....

I read it regularly but choose to focus on the gospels these days... because THAT is where the word of God truly lies

Though again this thread is about the claim of inerrancy which is not held by most Christians which I stated in the OP

Thank you for adding to the list as well

posted on Mar, 23 2015 @ 07:31 PM
link   

He is the boss of this thread actually, he's the one who made it.

posted on Mar, 23 2015 @ 07:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: darylpriest
a reply to: Akragon who are you ?the boss . you need to take into consideration, that your post include old ,and new testaments , this is something to consider, when debating KNOW IT ALL friend.

I am the Author of this thread, and thus... "the boss" of it...

aside from the gods of the forum

And this thread is not a debate.... its reality

posted on Mar, 23 2015 @ 07:46 PM
link   
a reply to: the2ofusr1there are so many rabbit trails we could go down ,but I will say that there are many versions ,and CHRISTIANS WHO ARE EDUCATED ,AND SPIRIT FILLED DONT ACCEPT ALL VERSIONS , LETS STICK WITH ONE VERSION the king james.

posted on Mar, 23 2015 @ 07:48 PM
link   
a reply to: Akragon well author GOD bless you then end of conversation MR. boss. your friend servant of JESUS MY OWNER .

posted on Mar, 23 2015 @ 07:57 PM
link   
a reply to: Akragon THE GODS OF THE FORUM , BOSS OF THE THREAD,, ? ? /? what ?

posted on Mar, 23 2015 @ 07:58 PM
link   

I like my King James but it has that part in Det.32:8 and a few other things that although not a big deal ,can cause a problem trying to connects other dot's . I find that you can find issues that cross over into history or our view of history just based on tridction . The early church fathers got a lot correct and it would seem wrong at the time . but KJV is cool ,just don't rely on a english dictionary unless it's a very early Websters and even that is not sufficient enough .

posted on Mar, 23 2015 @ 08:17 PM
link   
I think the problem with the Bible is that it is laced with too many social mechanisms. Too many contributing authors were too concerned with building and preserving Jewish society. Too few of them were enlightened mystics who could rise above tribal mentality. Heck, Genesis is a polemic for crying out loud. Not a good way to start.

So the mystical function of religion and the esoteric layer of Biblical theology is buried under the social function, the exoteric layer, which is too thick. As a result Christianity is not as transparent to the transcendent as it should be. The esoteric can't shine through the ephemeral social functions, and so Christianity can't easily connect with the esoterica of world religion and myth. So you get a bunch of exoteric, alienated, warped, ignorant, myopic, self-righteous, judgmental, fundamentalist pricks instead of wise mystics who can build cross-cultural bridges.

👣

edit on 122Monday000000America/ChicagoMar000000MondayAmerica/Chicago by BlueMule because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 23 2015 @ 08:37 PM
link   
a reply to: Akragon hello I know you already believe , because from the moment I commented I felt the power of GOD so what can I say .

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join