It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Russia-Goals objectives and composition of State Commission for Development of the Arctic approved

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 23 2015 @ 02:35 PM
link   
Hmm...so what are the goals, objectives and composition of this newly appointed state commission? I can only find one article to reference it and it is still not much information out there.

Here is a linked .PDF file that I can't translate, but if someone can, please do:

PDF

Russian Tweet on topic

Article on topic

Dmitry Rogozin heads newly set up state commission on Arctic development issues (document)
State commission on Arctic development issues has been set up under RF Government Decree dated March 14, 2015 (No 228) pursuant to the Presidential Decree dated February 3, 2015 (No 50).
According to the Government materials, the document approves the Statute of the Arctic Development Commission, sets forth the goal and major tasks of the Commission, the issues to be considered, as well as the regulations on its establishment and activities.

The document also approves the Commission members. It includes the heads of the interested federal authorities, higher officials of the Federation entities within the Arctic zone, plenipotentiary representatives of RF President in certain federal districts, representatives of the Security Council, Presidential Administration and other state authorities, scientific and public organizations.

and from one other article I just found:

Source

The Russian leadership insists that planning in this area should include the promotion of cross-border and transport infrastructure and telecommunications systems.

On that basis, Moscow has worked on the development of federal laws on the south border of the Russian Arctic zone, and in drafting an agreement to legally endorse the institutionalization of the outer limits of the continental shelf.

From the military point of view, Russia strengthened in 2014 and early in 2015 this area, to the importance of which referred Nikolai Patrushev, National Security Council secretary, in various meetings, according to TASS.

The attention towards the glaciers from countries such as USA, Canada, Norway and Denmark, including military mobilization, increases dramatically, associated with the struggle for access and control of their energy resources, Patrushev explained.

About 20 percent of Gross Domestic Product (GDP) and 22 percent of the entire volume of Russian exports come from the Arctic, including over 90 percent of its nickel and cobalt, 60 percent of copper and 96 of platinum.

Now that seems like quite a bit of movement and development they are working towards for a region that has not really seen much in the past.

Is there some reason for the quickened pace of this being done now and are any other countries following suit at this time? It seems they are working on legal grounds to extend their holding by proving the continental shelf is theirs from the statement in the second linked article.

posted on Mar, 23 2015 @ 02:45 PM
link   
a reply to: Vasa Croe

Of course they will strengthen their military in the Arctic. That area is a lot like Vladimir Putin's heart cold as ice.

posted on Mar, 23 2015 @ 02:47 PM
link   

It seems they are working on legal grounds to extend their holding by proving the continental shelf is theirs from the statement in the second linked article.

Seems Denmark has the same idea, although I imagine they are for two totally different reasons.

(Reuters) - Denmark will claim on Monday ownership of around 900,000 square kilometers of the continental shelf in the Arctic Ocean by filing documents to United Nations.

"The submission of our claim to the continental shelf north of Greenland is a historic and important milestone for the Kingdom of Denmark," minister of foreign affairs Martin Lidegaard said in a statement.

www.reuters.com...

I am going to speculate that Russia's is military related and Denmark is historically related. I could be wrong, but Russia has been doing some crazy things as of late.

edit on 23-3-2015 by tsurfer2000h because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 23 2015 @ 02:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: tsurfer2000h

It seems they are working on legal grounds to extend their holding by proving the continental shelf is theirs from the statement in the second linked article.

Seems Denmark has the same idea, although I imagine they are for two totally different reasons.

(Reuters) - Denmark will claim on Monday ownership of around 900,000 square kilometers of the continental shelf in the Arctic Ocean by filing documents to United Nations.

"The submission of our claim to the continental shelf north of Greenland is a historic and important milestone for the Kingdom of Denmark," minister of foreign affairs Martin Lidegaard said in a statement.

www.reuters.com...

I am going to speculate that Russia's is military related and Denmark is historically related. I could be wrong, but Russia has been doing some crazy things as of late.

Interesting you bring Denmark in.....

Source

"Russia has threatened to target Denmark’s warships with nuclear weapons if the Scandinavian nation becomes a member of Nato’s missile defence shield."

Wonder if they are somehow related....
edit on 3/23/15 by Vasa Croe because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 23 2015 @ 03:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: Greathouse

Of course they will strengthen their military in the Arctic. That area is a lot like Vladimir Putin's heart cold as ice.

But its warming up-and Russia knows its a massive untapped oil/gas area-enough to perpetuate our fossil fuel nightmare economy for another 100 years-shame everyone will be dead,or wishing they were by then if we continue on this path.

We are witnessing one of the last fossil fuel land grabs of our species before the great fall IMO.

But what do I know,right?

posted on Mar, 23 2015 @ 03:23 PM
link   
a reply to: Silcone Synapse

No you are entirely correct. We are also witnessing Russia using force of arms to apply pressure to secure oil transit pipeline routes in the Ukraine, Georgia and Moldavia.

posted on Mar, 23 2015 @ 03:40 PM
link   
a reply to: Greathouse
It is a tectonic shift.
The media trys to pacify us masses"this is not a new cold war" they say over and over.
And they are right.
This is getting to be worse than the cold war as we knew it back in the day.

This is the cold war's mentally unstable grandson on meth and steroids,with state of the art nukes at their fingertips,on all sides,and it ain't just the USA vs Russia anymore-now its a gang fight.

Just my opinion.

Remember the film "Wargames" ?

"A strange game.
The only winning move is not to play.
How about a nice game of chess?"

posted on Mar, 23 2015 @ 03:48 PM
link   
a reply to: Silcone Synapse

Yeah I remember that quote. The only problem is if the NATO country is attacked we have to play.

posted on Mar, 23 2015 @ 04:23 PM
link   
Well, if Russia doesn't claim it quickly, some other nation will come in and make claim to it and that could get messy.

posted on Mar, 23 2015 @ 04:34 PM
link   

Looks like the Russian Federations response to:

The rulers of the world want Ukraine not only as a missile base; they want its economy. Kiev's new Finance Minister, Nataliwe Jaresko, is a former senior US State Department official in charge of US overseas "investment". She was hurriedly given Ukrainian citizenship. They want Ukraine for its abundant gas; Vice President Joe Biden's son is on the board of Ukraine's biggest oil, gas and fracking company. The manufacturers of GM seeds, companies such as the infamous Monsanto, want Ukraine's rich farming soil.

Above all, they want Ukraine's mighty neighbour, Russia. They want to Balkanise or dismember Russia and exploit the greatest source of natural gas on earth. As the Arctic ice melts, they want control of the Arctic Ocean and its energy riches, and Russia's long Arctic land border. Their man in Moscow used to be Boris Yeltsin, a drunk, who handed his country's economy to the West. His successor, Putin, has re-established Russia as a sovereign nation; that is his crime.

johnpilger.com...

Or a prelimary strategic response. Very scary times. And the melting of the arctic is making it worse - perhaps it's been the plan all along (shortsighted aholes).

posted on Mar, 23 2015 @ 05:11 PM
link   
a reply to: FyreByrd

The melting has been looked forward to by the dark ones.
The North West passage will make lots of money,corporations are salivating over the idea,have been for decades.

They know that the more resources we piss into the air,the faster they get that shortcut route,and access to the minerals of the arctic.

The Russians are trying to get in an early claim.
But they know war will be fought to take possesion of the arctic,when it comes down to it.
Like the game of chess,the russians think ahead-as do the western governments.

Yep-we are screwed.

posted on Mar, 23 2015 @ 06:09 PM
link   
If we dont all die i forsee us colonizing the oceans since alot of the land will be under water.

top topics

join