It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A fully functioning Lithium powered 'Tron' lightcycle is up for auction

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 23 2015 @ 05:17 AM
link   
As a child this movie blew my mind..I was enthralled by the idea of getting trapped in a videogame..My buddies and I would turn our neighborhood into a Tron movie set and we each had our own 'lightcycle' to ride...(aka BMX) NOW you can own one! But only ONE...and I do not see LONG rides on this an option EVER! lol
from CNET

From movies to video games, the "Tron" franchise has been zipping through popular culture since the '80s. Now you can own a piece of that "legacy" as Sotheby's will auction off a fully functioning "Tron"-style lightcycle on May 2.

The sleek electric-powered cycle is a replica of the one from "Tron: Legacy," Disney's 2010 reboot of the groundbreaking 1982 sci-fi film. While it's not the first lightcycle to be offered publicly, the vehicles are hard to come by, so if you've got a little extra cash to burn (well, a lot of extra cash to burn), you might want to get in on the auction action.

The cycle is part of a larger auction from the Andrews Collection, a stunning cache of vehicles obtained by car enthusiasts Paul Andrews and his son Chris (see video below). Paul Andrews is the founder of electronics manufacturing firm TTI, which was purchased by Warren Buffett's Berkshire Hathaway company in 2007.

"It is a fully functioning motorcycle that can be ridden, as it is powered by a direct-drive electric motor that has lithium batteries, which is mated to a computer-controlled digital electronic transmission," says the auction page. "This custom 'Tron' tribute boasts a very low seat height of 28.5 inches, making it easy to ride even at low speeds. The motorcycle is finished in black with a white stripe and boasts an imposing stance to match its performance."

It would be a BLAST to ride this...

posted on Mar, 23 2015 @ 05:23 AM
link   
a reply to: DjembeJedi

This appears to be the coolest toy I have ever seen.

I say that it is a toy, because although it functions, I can see it being bloody impractical when it comes to cornering, and motion at high speed. For all that, its a gorgeous bit of design, and the fellows who put it together deserve a pint or ten for their efforts at least!

posted on Mar, 23 2015 @ 05:28 AM
link   
Absolutely amazing piece of kit, would love one!

posted on Mar, 23 2015 @ 05:33 AM
link   

originally posted by: TrueBrit

This appears to be the coolest toy I have ever seen.

I say that it is a toy, because although it functions, I can see it being bloody impractical when it comes to cornering, and motion at high speed. For all that, its a gorgeous bit of design, and the fellows who put it together deserve a pint or ten for their efforts at least!

IKR! Cornering looks SCARY and just imagine standing upright after a 100 mile ride..no thanks..BUT I still wanna ride it.. lol

edit on 3/23/2015 by DjembeJedi because: (no reason given)

edit on 3/23/2015 by DjembeJedi because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 23 2015 @ 05:44 AM
link   

IKR?

Forgive me, this acronym is not familiar to me!

posted on Mar, 23 2015 @ 05:44 AM
link   
I've just heard that SO has purchased it and is going to award it to a member with exactly 6991 posts!

Cool

posted on Mar, 23 2015 @ 05:46 AM
link   
a reply to: VoidHawk

You wish VoidHawk!

That said, if this turns out being accurate you must promise me something... Mount a pair of argon lasers on the front. Tis the law!

posted on Mar, 23 2015 @ 05:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: TrueBrit

IKR?

Forgive me, this acronym is not familiar to me!

sorry..(IKR) I know right..Horrible american slang..I fall victim randomly.

posted on Mar, 23 2015 @ 06:00 AM
link   

There is nothing wrong with a little slang now and again. We are not robotic vocabulary dispensers after all! However, if its worth using the slang, it might be wise to type the entire thing, so that those of us unfamiliar with a specific phrase, might have some ability to discern your meaning!

posted on Mar, 23 2015 @ 06:01 AM
link   
I'd say ur junk will be very sore after a few miles on that

55k is steep for a bike and i'd say its not for city riding. Cornering would be very awkward.

But a great looking bike no doubt

posted on Mar, 23 2015 @ 08:25 AM
link   
Given the fact its practically unridable, the main purpose would seem to be screaming "Look at me!"

I'd imagine that would become trite after the second ride.

For the ridiculously rich, I suppose it would make an interesting conversation piece and statement.

new topics

top topics

join