It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Soldiers' National Cemetery, Gettysburg PA

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 22 2015 @ 01:03 PM
link   
Yesterday we spent the day in Gettysburg PA and visited the The Soldiers' National Cemetery. This started out as a cemetery for Union Civil War soldiers, but expanded to included the Spanish American War, WWI, WWII, Korea and Vietnam wars. There are 3,500 Union War dead buried in this cemetery with 6,000 veterans total. While there I saw a stone for a female WWI nurse which was rather moving for me. This is also the site of where Abraham Lincoln delivered the Gettysburg Address. A large statue commemorates in the spot. I"m a big Lincoln fan so I like to visit this spot each time we go into Gettysburg.

I'm posting a few pictures that I took for my fellow taphophiles, but I think non taphophiles will find this cemetery interesting as well. If you are in the area, be sure to visit.

Gettysburg National Cemetery Wiki

Gettysburg National Cemetery NPS.GOV

edit on 3/22/2015 by FlyersFan because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 22 2015 @ 01:09 PM
link   

Picture I took on top of BIG ROUND TOP.

In case anyone is wondering, we took our new P-SB7 spiritbox with us into the battlefield (but didn't use it in the cemetery). At the site where the Hospital had stood, I got 'please'. In 'The Bloody Triangle' I got 'the priest' and 'father' (my husband was with me so I'm wondering if the spooks thought he was a priest). I also got a strong female voice talking overtop of others but I couldn't make out what she was saying. I don't know why a female voice would be in the bloody triangle. It was all soldiers there who got wiped out, and no female nurses were in that area. Then in the Peach Orchard I was listening to a guttural growly voice (non human??) when my husband said to me 'you forgot to ask questions'. Instantly I got a strong male voice mock me and say 'Whoooops!!" It was a direct response to my husbands' statement to me and it was a tease to me. I bust out laughing. It was like someone was poking fun at me for forgetting to ask questions. I was caught up in trying to figure out the (non-human??) voice and I forgot to ask questions, so the spook seemed to get a kick out of my forgetting to ask. It was the tone of his voice that made me think that.
edit on 3/22/2015 by FlyersFan because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 22 2015 @ 01:14 PM
link   
a reply to: FlyersFan

I bet just walking on the grounds will give anyone chills.

Thanks

posted on Mar, 22 2015 @ 01:42 PM
link   
I am a PA resident myself and I absolutely love going to Gettysburg when I get a chance.

posted on Mar, 22 2015 @ 02:05 PM
link   

Great pics.
Next time go to the high water mark. Got good pics and audio there myself. Also just off the beaten path, head towards the Eisenhower estate. There is a red covered bridge there. Got stuff there just randomly taking daytime photos.

On another note. EASTER EGGS are cool.
There is a bridge headed towards Big Round top that was constructed from the slate bed of the creek it goes over. One of the slates has a Dinosaur foot print in it.
Near the bloody wheat field there is a stone with initials carved into the stone showing where a soldier has fallen and buried.
In Spanglers spring Enroute to Culp's Hill. There are boulders with soldiers initials carved into them.
On top of Big Round Tops boulders there are hundreds of soldiers names dates carved into the rocks... carefully do this, it's a long fall.

There are all kinds of things to find in Gettysburg.

The only thing annoying though is the new hotel. They just had to put it smack dab against the lower end of the cemetery.
Oh.. and next time you are there. Go to O'rourks pub... ( middle of town. Across from Doubledays ) best Philly steak'n cheese in the state of Pennsylvania.

edit on 22-3-2015 by Bigburgh because: (no reason given)

edit on 22-3-2015 by Bigburgh because: so many spelling errors :-)

posted on Mar, 22 2015 @ 02:07 PM
link   

I have already promised my two youngest children (girl 11 and boy 9) that we will spend a day there this summer.
I don't have a spirit box though.
edit on bu312015-03-22T14:08:20-05:0002America/ChicagoSun, 22 Mar 2015 14:08:20 -05002u15 by butcherguy because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 22 2015 @ 02:20 PM
link   

In case anyone is wondering, we took our new P-SB7 spiritbox with us into the battlefield (but didn't use it in the cemetery).

In case anyone was wondering! It's the first thing I thought when I saw your thread title! If I only had one shot to see a real one, and could choose only one venue, from what I've been told, that would be it. Multiple hits there. I hope to go someday, too.

Good picts. You did good. (although it leaves my ghostie itch unscratched a bit.) : (

posted on Mar, 22 2015 @ 02:26 PM
link   

Then in the Peach Orchard I was listening to a guttural growly voice (non human??) when my husband said to me 'you forgot to ask questions'. Instantly I got a strong male voice mock me and say 'Whoooops!!" It was a direct response to my husbands' statement to me and it was a tease to me. I bust out laughing

This is kinda cool though.

edit on 3/22/2015 by ladyinwaiting because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 22 2015 @ 02:48 PM
link   
a reply to: Bigburgh

Or the Daubin House for their rum bellies lol I could drink there all day, supposedly its haunted IDK I don't believe in that sort of thing but the history and atmosphere is nice.

posted on Mar, 22 2015 @ 02:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bigburgh
There is a bridge headed towards Big Round top that was constructed from the slate bed of the creek it goes over. One of the slates has a Dinosaur foot print in it.

Ah man ... I was just up there 24 hours ago and didn't see it. Drats. Well, I have something to look for next time. I've been there probably two dozen times and had no idea there were dino tracks to be seen there.

posted on Mar, 22 2015 @ 02:58 PM
link   
We were there in October, part of a 6788 mile cross country trip from Savannah to Seattle. We stayed at the Inn at Herr Ridge. Some of the rooms are supposedly haunted. We got the last room and were lucky to get a room at all. I had no idea how large Gettysburg was. I had read plenty about the battle, but was really clueless about the size and all the state monuments surrounding it. It is truly massive. If you ever get a chance, everyone should go, especially if your families have been here awhile you likely had ancestors that suffered through this terrible war. It's an eye-opener.

posted on Mar, 22 2015 @ 03:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: schuyler
We stayed at the Inn at Herr Ridge.

We always stayed at the Battlefield Holiday Inn next to the Jennie Wade house. It's now the 1863 Inn of Gettysburg. We have done the tour of the Farnsworth House a little up the street and that looked like a good place to stay to get the feel of the area. We had to stay at the Battlefield Holiday Inn because we have a dog.

Now we don't stay over. We just do day trips. We are close enough to do that.

posted on Mar, 22 2015 @ 07:00 PM
link   

Next time, just ask a certified tour guide of all I mentioned. They will help.

posted on Mar, 22 2015 @ 07:04 PM
link   
a reply to: Brotherman

Hehe, I guess Gettysburg is OK to rum it up..... because you'll definitely walk it off.
But like you said. Whether or not you believe in the supernatural thing. There is tons to see there.

posted on Mar, 22 2015 @ 09:43 PM
link   

That whole battlefield is a hotspot for ghosts at dusk and after dark.
people have reported seeing a lot of ghosts around spanglers spring.

when I was a kid we would go to Gettysburg at least once every summer, I haven`t been there in about 15 years but I plan to go back sometime and check it out at night.

posted on Mar, 23 2015 @ 12:25 AM
link   
I love Gettysburg. It's a short drive from Pittsburgh plus my wife's family is from Harrisburg so it is a short trip for me, even though she isn't that interested in history. I walked Pickett's charge with my brother when I was ten carrying fake historic rifles a memory I'll never forget.

posted on Mar, 23 2015 @ 11:38 AM
link   
a reply to: TacticalStats

Same here.. I like the mountain drive. So sometimes I get off at Breeze Wood, and trek in through Chambersburg. That way you come in through the First days battle..

posted on Mar, 23 2015 @ 11:47 AM
link   
a reply to: Bigburgh

We like to go to Emmitburg to the Shrine of St. Elizabeth Ann Seton.
We go to her crypt and we like to go up the mountain to the grotto.
I think it's really nice there.

posted on Mar, 24 2015 @ 07:27 AM
link   
a reply to: schuyler

Wow, I could almost throw a stone from my house to Herr's Ridge Inn. Seems like a lot of people from this site visiting here and I didn't even realize it. I go to Sharpshooters (the bar behind Herr's Ridge Inn) with co-workers for drinks.

posted on Mar, 24 2015 @ 08:48 AM
link   
You all are so lucky. I've never seen a Civil War battlefield and never will.

new topics

top topics

join